Shrek 4D - Hollywood | Page 15 | Inside Universal Forums

Shrek 4D - Hollywood

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I have neighbors who just visited the park for the first time last week, and they loved Shrek. They thought it was cute and fun. First time guests tend to like it, but it's the re-ride (or re-watch) factor that's lacking immensely.

I wish Despicable Me ride could have been here and than Terminator would have been kept. Although if this attraction is staying for this long of a time, it must be REALLY popular. It is still weird that you can pretty much watch this ride on DVD... What are the chances of Universal Creative removing this ride and just make it more space for Potter?

How would that result in minimum capacity? If one were to virtually drag a cutout of Minion Mayhem and drop it on top of Shrek's location, a majority of Minion Mayhem's site (including the queue) would fit.

There would've been more than enough space for two Minion theatres if they demolished Shrek as well as Cartooniversal and the other connected stores and built up.

But hopefully they'll do that for Shrek's replacement eventually.

Why do that when you can replacing an aging show?
Are you referring to T23D.......?

Because T23D was an incredible show, and besides for some dated preshow elements from the 90s (Cyborg Shaquille O'Neal, the new wonders of Skype), it was a super exciting, high tech, and fun show that held up ridiculously well, and was more technologically impressive than Minion Mayhem in my opinion. It was a fantastic show, and the Terminator franchise is still popular, with a new movie coming out next year (and the show is still popular in Orlando and Japan).

If there's an aging show that deserved to get booted, it was Shrek, but they took over T23D unfortunately. The Minion mini land is great, but I miss T23D very much to this day, it never got old.

As for Shrek, I posted a pic before in this thread recently. The plot of land Shrek sits in, combined with Cartooniversal, etc, is a big chunk of land for a new attraction.

We wouldn't have gotten SSFL however... the park needed a kids area. And that was answered, so I'm glad T2:3D made way for that.

Shrek can find a new replacement.

Like, for instance... nothing. 

Maybe a queue to enter Potter.

Trust me, I think the overall Despicable Me addition, especially SSFL, is fantastic. I love it, and having SSFL is extremely beneficial. I am just extremely underwhelmed by Minion Mayhem as a ride, especially compared to the experience T23D used to be. I guess it's just bitter sweet. I love the addition of SSFL and Despicable Me's great facades, etc, but I'm not a fan of the actual ride. It's a fun ride for me but unfortunately only if I'm in a good sweet spot. Otherwise, it's very mediocre.

As for Shrek, I'd really love to see it closed by the middle of 2017 with a replacement already designed. Be it a fancy Broadway-themed flex space theatre, or a new attraction to replace both Shrek and the Cartooniversal complex. Anything will be better. But I recognize why it's important to have it stick around for a bit longer.

I'm just hoping we'll get at least a few minor show enhancements during this facade/queue work.

personally, if Shrek 4D has to stay for longer.. work with DreamWorks and Fox to bring a new film and new preshow with Puss instead of the ogre himself (yes, controversial but it wouldn't be bad due to he's getting attention in Singapore).

With a new queue coming in for Shrek, then the decision to remove it any time soon has already been determined that they won't. I await to see the extensiveness of the new queue. Something tells me its going to be mediogre... HA ha ha... okay, bad joke.
That gave me a good laugh :p

Here is what I'd do to "temporarily" upgrade the attraction:

1. Much Larger screen, with the footage remastered in 4K

2. Replace the current "back and forth" seats with newer D-BOX style simulator seats with a better range of motion.

3. Some extra 4D effects

Honestly, this should be relatively inexpensive for a company like Universal. I'm not saying it's cheap, but if they DO want to prolong this attraction's stay, they should at least slightly upgrade the experience. Because as of now, it's only a few tiny steps ahead of a regular 3D theatre. Even if they kept everything the same and at least made the screen larger, that in itself would be a huge improvement.

Realistically, a queue upgrade and routine refurbishment to the attraction itself will be happening. What I wonder is if they'll alter the façade at all or do any other exterior changes while making a new queue.