Skull Island: Reign of Kong - General Discussion | Page 440 | Inside Universal Forums

Skull Island: Reign of Kong - General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a little more review now that I've had a day to process the attraction. First and foremost it's a world class attraction. If this ride were at any other park outside of Universal or Disney it would be the top attraction by far. That being said here are (in my opinion) the best and worst parts of this attraction.

Best Parts:
-Kong AA and the finale he creates is the star of this attraction and they give you plenty of time to take him in.
-The witch in the queue line and the whole sequence of effects that happen in her room is super awesome. Her movements are more realistic than the main Goblin in Gringotts and she will be the gate keeper for scared children. They will not make it past her.
-The Bat AA's are a great touch especially the third one.
-The quality of the projections are unmatched here in Orlando.
-The 360 experience reminds me of the finale sequence in Spiderman and is action packed with a surprising sense of speed and tons of movement in the vehicle.

Worst Parts:
-Queue is completely disjointed from the ride in story and tone.
-The pacing of the ride is similar to Gringotts in that you move into a room and then stop and watch, then you move into the next room and stop and watch.
-The transition from the 360 portion into the Kong AA room is absolutely horrible and the weakest part of the attraction
-Far left side of the car has a terrible vantage point in the second screen room.
-The dialogue is sometimes hard to hear.

Honorable mentions:
-The driver AA's do move. They look right at the waiting crowd as they pull into the station.
-The slightly different stories with each driver is a nice touch for re-rideablitiy
-Slug AA is pretty cool.
-There are several boo holes for the Natives to pop out at you and it's designed for them to move back and forth so you won't know where exactly you might encounter them.
That aspect of Gringotts never really bothered me as much as other people (I still put below Forbidden Journey though) and I can live with some of the other faults like the transition and tone of the queue being different from the ride as long as we're not talking a Mermaid type situation. The rest of it sounds fantastic :)

Is there any way for the scare actors to know who is coming down the line? I feel like there should be a way for them to know if young kids are coming into the line... I'm no parent but I if I was, I'd be pretty angry if a big scary native jumped out at my kid, scaring the crap out of them. Or maybe I'm just too soft, but whatever.

I'm genuinely concerned they'll do away with scareactors down the line due to parents complaining. Wouldn't be the first time something like that happened.

I'm no parent but I if I was, I'd be pretty angry if a big scary native jumped out at my kid, scaring the crap out of them. Or maybe I'm just too soft, but whatever.
No need to get angry if it's posted in the front of the ride.

It's like when I see parents jumping in front of there kids when some actor scares them at HHN. Why did you bring them there in the first place?

I had no luck for Mako today, hoping for Kong Thursday.

Bummer! sorry to hear about your Mako trip. Guess that rain really did a number on the chances of things today. I honestly was blown away that during the rain they were bag testing hulk. Bless their hearts. If I recall it sounds like you pushed back your Uni trip too. I think its a good idea with all these rumors of problems during testing. And the long line extension is mostly outdoors. Just think about it. that line will fill up fast. If its going to rain hard today and tomorrow that will be alot of soggy bottoms in their nice dry vehicles.

Reactions: anihilnation
If your kid is scared. Don't ride this. Go play with Barney. Or get a baby sitter when you go to islands. If they remove scare actors at any point I will be let down by their production value. This is why we pay big bucks to come back again and again.

No need to get angry if it's posted in the front of the ride.

It's like when I see parents jumping in front of there kids when some actor scares them at HHN. Why did you bring them there in the first place?

I would feel sorry for them if that is the only way to get to the child swap. They obviously want to ride the ride, but have to go thru the queue to get to child swap. Now if they direct people to single rider and somewhere else. Then I think the scare actors will be fine. I also imagine they will see who they are scaring, they do in HHN. They target certain people who look more scared than others.

If your kid is scared. Don't ride this. Go play with Barney. Or get a baby sitter when you go to islands. If they remove scare actors at any point I will be let down by their production value. This is why we pay big bucks to come back again and again.

There are plenty of kids who are going to be scared who are way past the Barney stage. First off all I don't know any kid who actually watches Barney, but that is for another thread. My daughter's favorite ride is Space Mountain. I still think this ride will scare her. She wants to go on and I am not going to complain as I know what I am getting myself into and so does she. Thanks to a suggestion from Teebin about watching the Myth Explorer with her. But most parents are not as educated as I am.

So my son and I were at IOA all day today. It was fun to see so many people from the boards and to just feel the excitement in the air for Kong. I didn't stay in front of the ride all day, but rather passed by every so often to check in. The facade and RVs are just massive in person, much bigger than I had a sense of from photographs. It's all quite impressive. The TMs were very patient repeatedly explaining to confused guests what the ride was and why so many people were hanging around. Also, it was great to meet and talk to @Disneyhead :)

I would feel sorry for them if that is the only way to get to the child swap. They obviously want to ride the ride, but have to go thru the queue to get to child swap. Now if they direct people to single rider and somewhere else. Then I think the scare actors will be fine. I also imagine they will see who they are scaring, they do in HHN. They target certain people who look more scared than others.

This is kind of off topic but at HHN I just wait between transitional doors like the hanging plastic for a couple extra seconds so that the group in front of me has cleared the room. Everything jumps out at you if you have a good gap.

So my son and I were at IOA all day today. It was fun to see so many people from the boards and to just feel the excitement in the air for Kong. I didn't stay in front of the ride all day, but rather passed by every so often to check in. The facade and RVs are just massive in person, much bigger than I had a sense of from photographs. It's all quite impressive. The TMs were very patient repeatedly explaining to confused guests what the ride was and why so many people were hanging around. Also, it was great to meet and talk to @Disneyhead :)
Dave (Disneyhead) is really good people. :thumbsup:

Reactions: Mike S and BBL
I still cannot believe people waited outside the gates to attempt to ride this. Why wait 6 hours outside a ride? when you can wait 3 hours in a line for a ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.