Spider-Man getting HD Upgrading | Page 28 | Inside Universal Forums

Spider-Man getting HD Upgrading

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Ok the character with the long wavy hair (the one that jumps on your car and scratches at you later in the ride, Carnage I think) looks like he/she is floating at the beginning of the clip...

Thats Scream. It looks like she is floating because there are crates in front of the screen. When viewed from the vehicle, it looks like she is standing on a crate.

Its all going to have little things off like that due to different physical set piece interaction as well as distance and horizontal squinching on more than one axis. Just like once seen in 3D the distance she jumps from the physical prop onto the Statue Torch will also seem longer due to depth.

Anyone else notice they altered the scene's actions to no longer have the backwide of the Statue's hand and torch to look questionable?

Not sure what you mean by backwide and questionable. What was questionable about it before? Also, I never noticed all of the evil characters coming together in that scene. I believe this is because the 3D really focuses our eyes on the torch.

I still think it's dumb they used Scream when Venom and Carnage were readily available.:lol:

Theory as to why: Carnage is considered to be far too violent (google some of his comics, we're talking HHN style gore here.) Venom, while far more iconic, probably wouldn't have appeared very well in 3D - he's mostly black, appearing in a city-at-night setting. Scream isn't nearly as violent as Carnage and has lots of bright colors (not to mention the hair) to cement her appearance. It doesn't hurt that she's considered a female (and therefore the only female in the roster.)

Theory as to why: Carnage is considered to be far too violent (google some of his comics, we're talking HHN style gore here.) Venom, while far more iconic, probably wouldn't have appeared very well in 3D - he's mostly black, appearing in a city-at-night setting. Scream isn't nearly as violent as Carnage and has lots of bright colors (not to mention the hair) to cement her appearance. It doesn't hurt that she's considered a female (and therefore the only female in the roster.)

Oh I know Carnage is violent, but really, that's easily avoided.

It probably is the female aspect.

That and they don't want to upstage Doc Oc. He is the leader in the group and the rest are more, goon like in each having small bits along with a villian who would try to be the leader while keeping some comical sense. Carnage would probably not let anyone lead. That is why it was easy for her to just be squeezed in there as a member of the Syndicate.

That and they don't want to upstage Doc Oc. He is the leader in the group and the rest are more, goon like in each having small bits. That is why it was easy for her to just be squeezed in there as a member of the Syndicate.

Excellent point. Venom, being more visually appealing with a greater ability to wield his symbiote in engaging ways, would likely take a lot of focus from Doc Oc - and that's without taking his sheer popularity into account. Not to mention, Spider-Man and Venom have enormous amounts of history... you could base a whole ride just on that struggle. This is probably the same reason we got Hobgoblin instead of Green Goblin.

And of course, we got Hydroman instead of Sandman for the practical effects and storyline plot devices (i.e. Electro's accidental disabling of Hydroman wouldn't work on Sandman). I still think the Lizard would've been really cool, but there's not a lot you can do with him I guess beyond scratching and clawing (which we get with Scream).

This discussion also makes me wonder if they took the oppertunity to add any compressed air somehow into the scene where Scream is scratching/hissing at us since she has been the only villian who has no practical effect interaction in the ride.

Doc Oc hits us with the Anti Gravity Cannon as well as surrounding things prior to that moment that affect our ride path as well as the heat arm
Hydroman gets water on us both with pipe, hits the pipe and later we feel his dismemberment of water from Electro hitting him.
Electro has the vibration from shocking us in his personal scene and nearby practical effects.
Hobgoblin has the actual flame hitting the bridge as he misses.

That really only leaves Scream without a form of physical interaction with us or the set. Compacted air nozzels hidden or a giant Airzooka kind of effect could also be in place to make that brick scene with Doc Oc more intense.

Last edited:
^ We already have the feeling that bricks are hitting the car. I say some smoke effects (the dust of the bricks) would be a nice touch. :thumbs:

Well in the old ride film there was that one brick that comes right at your face, enhancing that with it being a near miss and wind swooshing is more along the lines of what I was thinking. I am sure that with the 3D audio every scene will have more feeling to it.

Hello board, it's been a while since I posted. But I posted back in Feb when the ride was first being shut down concerned how long it was going to be shut down. This was back on page 27 of this thread. Wow has it been expanded on it the past month. But anyways the reason why I posted is I am going to Universal for the very first time in March 10th. It has been my plans since late January. And I really want to experience all the iconic rides out of universal and from what I have heard, Spiderman is definately up there and is a very unique and amazing experience. So I was very sad to hear they shut it down indefinately until sometime in March. I just knew they weren't going to open it until late March so I was going to miss this iconic bit of Universal theme parks. So thats where my post on page 27 comes into play where I asked you guys the board of when you thought it might open based on info. THe answers I got was a 50/50 chance that it would be open by then and to hope for the best. Well I am just posting to let the ppl who remember me know, that 50/ 50 coin toss was in my favor! Just found out about the March 8th reopening date. Wow I am so stoked. Talk about cutting it close. Only 2 days from when I am going to be there lol.

This is great news for me. Not only will I be able to experience this ride for the first time instead of it being shut down while I am there but I will also be one of the first people to experience it in its HD re imagining. To finally see what this ride was meant to be like all along if it was not for 1999's limited visual technology. So thank you to the board members that rooted for this to happen. I will be sure to tell you guys about my experience with the ride when I get back.

--- Update ---

But P.S. Does anyone know if any attractions are scheduled to be shut down at either park (Universal or Islands of Adventure) during March 10th through March 11th 2012? Especially the big rides like the Hulk, Harry potter, and Dragon Challenge? If anyone has some information on this, I would appreciate it. I am hoping that everything will be open while I am there lol.

Last edited:
--- Update ---

[/COLOR]But P.S. Does anyone know if any attractions are scheduled to be shut down at either park (Universal or Islands of Adventure) during March 10th through March 11th 2012? Especially the big rides like the Hulk, Harry potter, and Dragon Challenge? If anyone has some information on this, I would appreciate it. I am hoping that everything will be open while I am there lol.

I would think nothing else would be shut down that is spring break weeks for schools.Anything can break but I doubt they would schedule closings at that time.