The Future of Lost Continent (Poseidon Fury closing May 9) | Page 186 | Inside Universal Forums

The Future of Lost Continent (Poseidon Fury closing May 9)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
*ahem* Hyrule is the setting of The Legend of Zelda, what you’re referring to is Hyrule Castle and the surrounding Castle Town. :p

That being said, those are both ruins in Breath of the Wild/Tears of the Kingdom, so I doubt we’ll be seeing them as the main setting, personally.
Kakariko Village is pretty chill though by the time of BOTW

Reactions: JungleSkip
I gotta wonder if Universal is willing to look at some non-Hyrule Zelda locations for this land, namely KoholInt Island from The Legend of Zelda: Links Awakening. That setting would be absolutely perfect for a theme park land. It's a charming island setting with a nice small village, surrounded by woods and temples, and a giant mountain looms in the background. There's plenty of material from the game to base attractions and shops off of. It's better than BOTW/TOTK areas when it comes to a theme park translation at least.

I gotta wonder if Universal is willing to look at some non-Hyrule Zelda locations for this land, namely KoholInt Island from The Legend of Zelda: Links Awakening. That setting would be absolutely perfect for a theme park land. It's a charming island setting with a nice small village, surrounded by woods and temples, and a giant mountain looms in the background. There's plenty of material from the game to base attractions and shops off of. It's better than BOTW/TOTK areas when it comes to a theme park translation at least.
I love Link's Awakening, but I'm thinking it would be a bit too niche to be the focus of an entire land. I could imagine a lot of disappointment from the general public if a Zelda land wasn't set in Hyrule, as it is the primary setting of nearly every game in the series.

If the land isn't explicitly based on BoTW/ToTK, I imagine it will be an amalgamation of different elements throughout the series, as opposed to a specific game.

I love Link's Awakening, but I'm thinking it would be a bit too niche to be the focus of an entire land. I could imagine a lot of disappointment from the general public if a Zelda land wasn't set in Hyrule, as it is the primary setting of nearly every game in the series.

If the land isn't explicitly based on BoTW/ToTK, I imagine it will be an amalgamation of different elements throughout the series, as opposed to a specific game.

For whatever it's worth, I am personally anticipating an aesthetic that emulates BoTW/ToTK above all else.

Hyrule changes every single game though, would the general public really notice the difference? Especially when Majoras Mask, Windwaker, and Skyward Sword are some of the most popular games in the series and all three take place outside of Hyrule (or when Hyrule doesn't exist). And then you have BOTW/TOTK where half of Hyrule is in ruin and the focus of the games is heavily on the wild side of things. I'd argue that the land being based in Hyrule, while ideal, isn't neccessary.

Reactions: Nico
Hyrule changes every single game though, would the general public really notice the difference? Especially when Majoras Mask, Windwaker, and Skyward Sword are some of the most popular games in the series and all three take place outside of Hyrule (or when Hyrule doesn't exist). And then you have BOTW/TOTK where half of Hyrule is in ruin and the focus of the games is heavily on the wild side of things. I'd argue that the land being based in Hyrule, while ideal, isn't neccessary.
Majora's Mask is my favorite game in the series, but Termina might be too dark of a setting for what they're going for. I could see Wind Waker and Skyward Sword being the basis for great attractions, but the settings of a vast ocean with small islands and one giant island floating in the sky wouldn't be easily adaptable for a theme park land.

Generally, it seems that the original NES game, Ocarina of Time, and Breath of The Wild are the games that have remained in popular culture, and I feel like we would most likely see elements pulled from them. I do however agree with @Clive that we'll most likely solely see elements from BoTW/ToTK.

Would a half destroyed Hyrule be any different than the deteriorated, rusting away Batuu land, or the post Apocalyptic WaterWorld land at Beijing? ;)

Would a half destroyed Hyrule be any different than the deteriorated, rusting away Batuu land, or the post Apocalyptic WaterWorld land at Beijing? ;)
I could see them pulling from different time frames in the BoTW games, even if it didn't follow the canon of the games exactly. They could allow parts of Hyrule to appear how it does flashbacks, as well as in Age of Calamity, with some more ruinous areas mixed in. I imagine they might want to feature the champions in the land or attraction in some way, even though they are ghosts by the time the games take place. It's also likely we could see the guardians from BoTW and Ganondorf as he appears in ToTK simultaneously.

I could see them pulling from different time frames in the BoTW games, even if it didn't follow the canon of the games exactly. They could allow parts of Hyrule to appear how it does flashbacks, as well as in Age of Calamity, with some more ruinous areas mixed in. I imagine they might want to feature the champions in the land or attraction in some way, even though they are ghosts by the time the games take place. It's also likely we could see the guardians from BoTW and Ganondorf as he appears in ToTK simultaneously.
I would love it if some ruins end up in the land. Could imagine some potential nods for what it replaced.

If I had to bet I’d say they’re using the BOTW/TOTK aesthetic for the overall look of the land but probably not locking themselves into a very set timeline like Disney did with galaxy’s edge. SNW has a clear Super Mario 3D World aesthetic but pulls from other games for its actual content. Zelda-land could probably do the same. I’d be happy if we got a ‘best of Zelda’ amalgamation but with the TOTK aesthetic holding it all together because that game has the nicest visuals IMO besides maybe Twilight Princess (hot take I know)

For those interested in the aesthetics of Zelda!

I still have a hard time picturing what a land featuring Zelda would look like. I’m not familiar with any of the games in general.
Same. Based on my lack of knowledge on the IP, I’m not sure how to picture it. There’s some pretty good concepts in this thread from the past few months.

I am still of the mind that I’d rather they tear down the majority of the land. I get that there are some construction/financial incentives in not doing this though. Maybe the restaurants/store fronts being gutted and rethemed would be fine. I trust Universal, especially in partnership with a third party, but just want the land to feel fleshed out and permanent.

Here are some good and relatively short samplers!! and Spoiler'd to not clog the thread with media thumbnails!

Reel of many prominent locations and landscapes from Zelda: Breath of the Wild (2017) for Nintendo Switch. The most likely visual style for the land. Features a ruined Hyrule 100 years after a devastating attack from the most vicious incarnation of the main antagonist. Nature and the varied citizens of Hyrule persist nevertheless in a lonely, but ever beautiful landscape.

Reel of locations from Zelda: The Wind Waker (2002) originally for Gamecube, remade in HD for Wii U (2013). It features a more distinct "Toon" artstyle that was divisive in the early 2000s, but has gone on to be a beloved and influential staple of the franchise with many different games in the Zelda series sharing the style up and into a more grounded take on it with Breath of the Wild.

Reel of locations from Zelda: Ocarina of Time (1998), for Nintendo 64. The very first 3D Zelda game, meaning the visuals might seem quaint by today's standards but they set the tone for the franchise going forward and were revolutionary for it's time. Features a thriving Hyrule, unlike the Ruined Kingdom from Breath of the Wild, or the flooded Hyrule from Wind Waker.

The Mario Kart 8 DLC Track "Hyrule Circuit" (2015), for Wii U and Switch, featuring many iconic landmarks, items, and enemies in a broader, more generic Hyrule not taken from any specific game or subseries artstyle. Almost a more general Super Nintendo World-y style to this one. If you want a clear image of what Zelda looks like, this is probably the clearest.

Finally, an evolution video of boss fights against one of the more iconic Zelda enemies, Gohma, which is essentially just a giant Spider! It's a longer video but even just skipping through gives a taste of how varied and individual each Zelda game can be in it's gameplay and artstyle while still looking distinctly "Zelda". If you're sensitive to that sorta thing then Spoiler warning, but Gohma is usually a beginner level boss anyways so :p!

There is no singular Zelda world. Because the game focuses the story as being a legend, one being retold again and again across time and space. There are direct sequels occasionally, example being Tears of the Kingdom (2023) for Nintendo Switch as a direct sequel to Breath of the Wild featuring the exact same Hyrule, characters, etc. But that is not always the case and because of that even the most iconic and consistent Zelda locations or characters will have different looks from game to game.

Despite this, Zelda worlds are consistently grounded in a sense of reality, albiet a more fantastical and old-school medievel one than ours. Zelda worlds differ from those of LoTR, The Witcher, etc mostly off of the quirkiness and charm that Nintendo brings to each game. Zelda worlds are often fun, occasionally spooky, dark, or foreboding, or somber, quiet, reverent, but always and consistently adventurous, quirky, and full of heart. Really, I don't think there's much of a better candidate for a new island of adventure than Hyrule, in whatever form it takes!

Hope any of this helps to showcase a bit of what the IP has to offer!

Last edited:
My thoughts have always been using BotW/TotK for mostly overall aesthetics and the content of two attractions. The land would include basically a newly designed Castle Town based on those aesthetics and including things based on all the races like a Goron shop/BBQ quick serve, Zora shop/sushi bar, etc. Then you’d have the mini game shop that everyone should be familiar with: slingshot, arrows, bombs, you get the drill. Potion shop (think the milk stand at Galaxy’s Edge, nothing huge), the Happy Mask Shop, the Milk Bar from Majora’s Mask, then inside the castle not only lies the entrance to the E Ticket but also our replacement for mythos: The Royal Banquet Hall. Delicacies from across the kingdom that aren’t mere quickserve. Since this Castle Town would basically be an amalgamation there could be references to all the games either hidden or obvious like a Windmill similar to the one from Windfall Island near the water (perhaps acting as the location of the Zora Shop?) and the King of Red Lions docked nearby? Idk just spitballing.

Oh, and the talking fountain idea is given new life as a Gossip Stone from OoT.

Last edited:
My thoughts have always been using BotW/TotK for mostly overall aesthetics and the content of two attractions. The land would include basically a newly designed Castle Town based on those aesthetics and including things based on all the races like a Goron shop/BBQ quick serve, Zora shop/sushi bar, etc. Then you’d have the mini game shop that everyone should be familiar with: slingshot, arrows, bombs, you get the drill. Potion shop (think the milk stand at Galaxy’s Edge, nothing huge), the Happy Mask Shop, the Milk Bar from Majora’s Mask, then inside the castle not only lies the entrance to the E Ticket but also our replacement for mythos: The Royal Banquet Hall. Delicacies from across the kingdom that aren’t mere quickserve. Since this Castle Town would basically be an amalgamation there could be references to all the games either hidden or obvious like a Windmill similar to the one from Windfall Island near the water (perhaps acting as the location of the Zora Shop?) and the King of Red Lions docked nearby? Idk just spitballing.

Oh, and the talking fountain idea is given new life as a Gossip Stone from OoT.
That’s my favorite idea so far! I get that they need to pick a game to use as the visual style since many differ visually quite a bit, but I’m hoping they use your approach and still give us a little bit of everything instead of a locked-in timeline that can only represent one game.

As for the E-ticket, I like the Hyrule castle boat ride idea and that’s where I can see them really pulling from TOTK. Maybe the guests are explorers looking to discover ‘treasures’ beneath the castle with Link and Zelda as guides. We accidentally awaken Ganondorf and he decides to conquer Hyrule. We encounter various enemies as Link tries to protect us. Maybe warriors from the different races like Gerudo and Zora can show up to fight too. We go up a small lift hill which can represent climbing Ganon’s tower as seen in OOT and windwaker, and then get to see Link face off against beast-form Ganon before ‘dropping’ to safety. Maybe at the end you arrive back at Hyrule castle for a royal celebration and Zelda thanks you and Link for your bravery

Reactions: Nico
How do you mean? A successful movie only raises awareness and bolsters the brand, even if Universal doesn't distribute it. Any imagery will likely be drawn from the games, not the film, just as the existing Super Nintendo World offerings have.
Oh, just a friendly jab at the common thought echoed around here that it's not a big enough franchise to warrant a theme park land. 100% believe that a film will only give the Lost Continent redevelopment even more appeal than it would have had before, which was already a large amount.

Reactions: Mike S