The Future of Lost Continent (Poseidon Fury closing May 9) | Page 187 | Inside Universal Forums

The Future of Lost Continent (Poseidon Fury closing May 9)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

So how are we feeling about Zelda still "not being a mega property" here?
I’m a bit surprised it’s not Universal since it seemed like a no brainer with the parks deal and Mario movie rights but at the same time Nintendo never said everything would be with Universal. They likely wanted the freedom to be able to shop stuff around different companies to find the best fit. Fingers crossed for Metroid by Denis Villeneuve.

People were genuinely arguing this before the Mario Movie and Tears of the Kingdom released lol
People have even argued it post-TotK, to date it has sold nearly 20M units but the argument has been that those are "only gamers" which isn't a big enough pool to market to. Its all been baloney anyway, the land will open and it will be highly successful just like the Nintendo lands that have already opened.

Reactions: Mike S and mccgavin
People have even argued it post-TotK, to date it has sold nearly 20M units but the argument has been that those are "only gamers" which isn't a big enough pool to market to. Its all been baloney anyway, the land will open and it will be highly successful just like the Nintendo lands that have already opened.
You'd think that all the successful video game adaptations from this year alone would convince people that video games are an extremely popular medium across all age ranges, but I guess not lmao

I think very few people here are arguing that Zelda doesn't have enough broad or foundational popularity to warrant a theme park land, so I'm not really sure what we're talking about.

The whole "only gamers know about this" discussion really comes into play as we start to discuss the second- and third-tier Nintendo IPs like Metroid, Star Fox, and Splatoon - the sort of stuff that tends to sell fairly well but most people on the street don't know about. I think most people could identify or at least recognize the Mario characters, the Zelda iconography, Kirby, and Animal Crossing stuff.

Reactions: soilsigh and Jake S
I'm very curious how we see the relationship between Universal and Nintendo evolve in future projects after today's news. I think even besides the Zelda movie itself, today kinda proves Nintendo is calling the shots in a lot of these licensing partnerships.

I'm very curious how we see the relationship between Universal and Nintendo evolve in future projects after today's news. I think even besides the Zelda movie itself, today kinda proves Nintendo is calling the shots in a lot of these licensing partnerships.
Yeah todays news made it crystal clear who’s calling the shots and you know what? I think Universal was aware of all this anyway and they’re fine with it. Miyamoto said they’ve been working on this movie for a while and I’m sure Universal probably tried to get it themselves at some point. As far as they’re concerned for them to keep being successful with Nintendo is a pretty knowable quantity: just keep doing what they’ve already done. Make more Mario movies with the same care as the first one and like wise with more Nintendo Worlds.

While I do have faith, who knows, the Zelda movie could end up sucking and not hit the same note Mario did.

I see that there are what I assume backstage buildings next to PF. Could those also be demoed for this hypothetical boat ride?

I'll take that as a no. But this will be a boat ride so they would have plenty of space. I think PF is more space than the now defunct Madagascar ride from Singapore.
Not sure if it's as much as a "no" than it is a "don't ask questions randomly without first gaining context to the conversation at large." If you had read the last few pages, you would have realized this conversation has already been had.

To properly contribute to this thread - I often wonder (not that it matters to UC) if IOA is truly in need of another boat ride. I want a boat ride. I love a good boat ride. USF, to me, stands in more need of an indoor water based attraction with incredibly themed sets.

Not complaining, because this is the best and smartest move for USO. Just wonder if I'm the only one?

I often wonder (not that it matters to UC) if IOA is truly in need of another boat ride. I want a boat ride. I love a good boat ride. USF, to me, stands in more need of an indoor water based attraction with incredibly themed sets.

Not complaining, because this is the best and smartest move for USO. Just wonder if I'm the only one?
I think USF certainly needs a boat ride before IOA. (I think USF needs a lot of things before IOA, but that's a whole other discussion!)

But I'm not going to turn one down for Zelda. Theoretically, it will be different enough (i.e. not a soak machine) from the other three water rides in the park.

I think USF certainly needs a boat ride before IOA. (I think USF needs a lot of things before IOA, but that's a whole other discussion!)

But I'm not going to turn one down for Zelda. Theoretically, it will be different enough (i.e. not a soak machine) from the other three water rides in the park.
Touche. lol I still haven't gotten over the loss of Jaws...11 years and counting.

A boat ride in the likes of POTC with the sets/theming of the likes of Secret Life, MarioKart, is tantalizing no matter where it goes. Given the success of the video game(s) and the new movie, this will definitely be a cash-cow for Uni.

Reactions: TylerG and belloq87
Not sure if it's as much as a "no" than it is a "don't ask questions randomly without first gaining context to the conversation at large." If you had read the last few pages, you would have realized this conversation has already been had.

To properly contribute to this thread - I often wonder (not that it matters to UC) if IOA is truly in need of another boat ride. I want a boat ride. I love a good boat ride. USF, to me, stands in more need of an indoor water based attraction with incredibly themed sets.

I think IOA needs a slow boat ride as does USF when they got rid of Jaws. There is a huge market for slow boat rides. Disney may overdo them a bit much, but Universal seems to never have enough slow moving great scenery rides like omnimovers or slow boat rides. It isn't well rounded as a park in my opinion because of missing holes like those.

IOA and USF just need attractions that are predominantly physical sets. I think Zelda could work well with a Na'vi River-esque idea of physical sets that blend into digital backgrounds.
I think IOA needs a slow boat ride as does USF when they got rid of Jaws. There is a huge market for slow boat rides. Disney may overdo them a bit much, but Universal seems to never have enough slow moving great scenery rides like omnimovers or slow boat rides. It isn't well rounded as a park in my opinion because of missing holes like those.

Agreed on both comments. One thing I just realized is that what USF is missing in a water based attraction, IOA seems to be missing on family friendly accessible attractions. Not counting Seuss, IOA is deficient on milder, experience based rides families can enjoy together. Kong is a good example of what I'm thinking of. Lately, USF has felt more like the "family park" while IOA exists to satiate the thrill junkies like myself.

Reactions: TylerG
If anything… IOA needs something that’s not a straight up ride. Show, interactive game, heavily themed meet n greets, it’s need more little stuff. I hope this land has an E ticket, a major interactive section plus interactivity throughout the land, and a flat.
Isn't IOA already pretty good with this? There's multiple meet and greets, a couple of street shows and a nighttime lights show in Potter, Jurassic Park and Toon Lagoon have large play structures (Camp Jurassic especially), and Potter has interactive elements via wand. The only things IOA is lacking in my opinion are a large scale daytime show and a large scale family friendly dark ride.

Reactions: GA-MBIT