The Future of The Simpsons Ride/Springfield (Orlando) | Page 39 | Inside Universal Forums

The Future of The Simpsons Ride/Springfield (Orlando)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Springfield (and/or Supercharged, and/or Fallon, and/or Fear Factor, etc.) can't be replaced soon enough.

USF needs a lot more than just an HRRR replacement before 2030.
Yeah outside of Zelda at IoA and the apparently very close to happening expansions at Epic like Luigi’s Mansion and the Great Hall I think every other project for the next like 10 years should be at USF. Maybe 15 depending on timelines, idk.

That's been the date thrown around in enthusiast circles for years and years now. Do we know if there is any basis for it outside of illusory truth effect?

Industry norms. It's in the Marvel deal (Outside of Orlando). It's in the Potter deal.

Spider-Man in USJ closing the exact day before the 20-year mark isn't a coincidence.

Industry norms. It's in the Marvel deal (Outside of Orlando). It's in the Potter deal.

Spider-Man in USJ closing the exact day before the 20-year mark isn't a coincidence.
Jeez can you imagine if there was some catastrophic falling out between WB/Rowling and Universal before 2030? Having to close 3 lands all at once and thinking of something to replace them all… and that’s just at one of their worldwide resorts.

Multiple things can be true at the same time:

1. It's great that we're getting a new theme park.
2. It's less than ideal that that is impacting the company's ability (or desire) to make bigger moves faster at the existing parks (primarily USF, but IOA has dead areas and attractions that need work, too).

Good to know. I was legitimately curious why we weren't talking about 2033 (25 years) or anything else as potentials for all these years. In theory, it could be any amount of time, so it's interesting that there is some precedence for that specific 20 year timespan.

Reactions: Brian G.
Multiple things can be true at the same time:

1. It's great that we're getting a new theme park.
2. It's less than ideal that that is impacting the company's ability (or desire) to make bigger moves faster at the existing parks (primarily USF, but IOA has dead areas and attractions that need work, too).

I'm sorry but no. lol. That's a completely unreasonable line of thinking..

Reactions: Michael S
How can that possibly be?

Unless you're actively glad about point #2 (which I don't think you are), then I think you perhaps misread what I wrote.

Either that, or I have become the "crazy pills" meme.
This is a somewhat inelegant response to Brian, but your original post also stroke me as generally measured.

How can that possibly be?

Unless you're actively glad about point #2 (which I don't think you are), then I think you perhaps misread what I wrote.

Either that, or I have become the "crazy pills" meme.
Well, I guess my issue is with the “less than ideal” usage so if you want to elaborate.

It's also not out of lack of desire.

This is a somewhat inelegant response to Brian, but your original post also stroke me as generally measured.
Inelegant? I bite my thumb at thee!

Well, I guess my issue is with the “less than ideal” usage so if you want to elaborate.
My meaning is that, in an ideal world, Universal would be able to do both things -- build the new park, and continue with big projects* at the current parks -- at relatively the same time. They had MIB ready for the year following IOA, for example.

So I think it's "less than ideal" that that would not appear to be the case.

*We can debate what "big" means, but I would mean certainly larger in scale than the KidZone retheme and VillainCon projects.

It's all hands on deck for EU, which will be the largest expansion that a theme park resort will have seen since arguably IoA. That's where a sizable chunk of the manpower is at right now. I think fans are currently feeling the hurt of mediocre expansions and pure misfires at USF for the past decade, and I'm unfortunately with that crowd. I believe USF is in a pretty lackluster spot outside of HHN season. I believe if the work that went into Fallon, F&F, Minion Blast resulted in projects at the same level as VC, Hagrids, Bourne, then there wouldn't be this level of antsiness about the current parks.

My meaning is that, in an ideal world, Universal would be able to do both things -- build the new park, and continue with big projects* at the current parks -- at relatively the same time. They had MIB ready for the year following IOA, for example.

*We can debate what "big" means, but I would mean certainly larger in scale than the KidZone retheme and VillainCon projects.

OK so yeah - being a bit unrealistic here. :lol: I mean, sure, in an ideal world we wouldn't have to wait for anything.

I've mentioned this previously: they heavily invested in USF the decade prior. Unfortunately, it did not yield the results they had hoped for. Let us also not forget that 4 years ago, in this very forum, there were concerns about how delayed Epic would be, and in some extreme cases, if it would even happen at all.

So the fact we're getting Epic on a small delay and Universal still plans on being bullish again within a 5-year window, not long after making all that investment, is pretty ideal, IMO.

Reactions: SeventyOne
It’s my understanding that the company is treating Pokemon for Orlando as a very large project. They’re putting a lot of resources on it. They’re moving a lot of things around to accommodate it. They’re designing entirely new attractions for it, unique from the Spider-Man retheme over at USJ. That’s why it’s not opening till 2030. That’s why growth may be slow at Studios between now and then.

HOWEVER, I would not consider a VelociCoaster-style massive project to build an Intamin drifting launched coaster to be a lackluster addition. If that’s what helped reinvigorate IOA, maybe that’s what we need at Studios next too? And that should start work in less than a year.

The older crowd who were not impressed or addressed by DreamWorks or Minion Land should be happy they’re getting a new thrill coaster to replace Rip Ride Rickity Rockit.

Rip Ride Rickity Rockit.

Cracking Up Lol GIF

HOWEVER, I would not consider a VelociCoaster-style massive project to build an Intamin drifting launched coaster to be a lackluster addition. If that’s what helped reinvigorate IOA, maybe that’s what we need at Studios next too? And that should start work in less than a year.
Virtually anything would be an improvement over HRRR, so I have no doubt it will be very good for the park, and enjoyed by coaster fans. It won't yet address the park's key problem, though: the oversaturation of simulator-y/screen-heavy attractions with similar gimmicks.

The older crowd who were not impressed or addressed by DreamWorks or Minion Land should be happy they’re getting a new thrill coaster to replace Rip Ride Rickity Rockit.
And for the "USF needs a dark ride" crowd...
l4KhM42yD1zpyEUFO.webp

I've mentioned this previously: they heavily invested in USF the decade prior. Unfortunately, it did not yield the results they had hoped for.
That's what makes the timing -- as it relates to Epic Universe's construction timetable -- a bit frustrating. That's all I was trying to say. I wasn't saying they shouldn't have gone ahead with Epic.

That's what makes the timing -- as it relates to Epic Universe's construction timetable -- a bit frustrating. That's all I was trying to say. I wasn't saying they shouldn't have gone ahead with Epic.

Oh, I wasn't implying you were, either. I get the frustration of it all. Like GA-MBIT said, in a perfect world - everything is a homerun.

Again - it should be a good thing they're looking to address it so quickly (relatively speaking).

The thing is, though, what had USF really received as a major addition before MIB, in the years since opening, until 1999? Twister and T2:3D, right?

We’re living in a different world. Both parks have received a lot of new additions in the last 5-10 years, way more than was added in that window between grand opening and when IOA opened. Some can be disliked (Fallon, VillainCon & Supercharged) but their track record of adding to the two existing parks has been much better in this era.

Also, let’s be real here… They are hoping if you come to vacation on the property you’re going to want to do each Harry Potter Land at their respective parks. That’s an easy guarantee that a lot of folks will hit up all three parks, without having to add something new to the existing parks to compete with Epic.

If the Fast & Furious drift coaster replaces Rockit in 2027 that means a retheme of Supercharged could open prior to the Pokémon project right? No way Supercharged lasts much longer.
There appears to be no retheme for Supercharged on deck right now. Perhaps they can shutter it for good once the coaster opens.