The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Hogsmeade (Orlando): Part 2 | Page 95 | Inside Universal Forums

The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Hogsmeade (Orlando): Part 2

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Hopefully no one bumps into all these domes. :p

That's one of the reasons why there is a team of engineers who inspect the KUKA arms for 6 hours every night!!!!

--- Update ---

The thing is, the transitions wouldn't be smooth since you would feel like the ride vehicle is going down and then back up to another dome...at least it seems like it wouldn't be a smooth transition. Then you have the physical aspects of the ride, how will they make it a smooth transition from dome to physical sets. Hmm.

Keep thinking this, because I think if the domes are used correctly, it will work perfectly.

I'm thinking smoke effects as the dome descends under the KUKA vehicle. Are we going to literally "go through" the dome like a ghost going through a wall?! What the heck?

This makes total sense now...the domes will probably look like this...

http://www.engadget.com/2004/07/26/elumens-visionstation-big-big-mirror-screen/

There are much better pictures out there, but you're getting the right idea. I'm thinking - not verified - that the domes are a little more immersive though.

From my research, they do come in different sizes and it's very possible that Universal had them custom made. In fact, I'm under the impression that the software that stitches the images together is proprietary.

That's what I'm thinking...but how would in & out associate with something like that. That is what puzzles me.

You get thrust into this dome, hence In, then out to move on to the next scene. At least, I'm assuming. I still don't know how this ties into the screen goo, unless the domes they are using are not screens but a surface that requires the need to be painted with the Screen Goo, assuming these things are all interlinked.

The only problem with this train of thought is the placement of the speakers, usually an acoustically transparent screen would allow speakers to be hidden behind the screen...hmm...just thinking aloud.

The kuka turns and faces the side of the dome as it transists into the next part, the riders are watching the events on the screens and the AA's while the kuka is moving to the next part.

BTW... Teebin posted a really cool illustration a while back regarding a carousel of domes. I can't verify that particular drawing, but if someone wants to bring that forward, it might be worth another look.

I think you were referring to Disneyhead...

Disneyhead (p. 719, old thread):

OK, those concerned about there being no moving staircase. If you notice in the pic of the Portrait Hall there are at least 2 staircases that start halfway up the wall. That is obviously the room where the moving staircase is. Now, if the staircases will actually move. Who knows.

And yes Butterbeer is carbonated. In the video of them sampling it it has a frothy head like regular beer. And that doesn't mean it can't be frozen. 7-11's Slurpees are carbonated.

And don't quote me on this, but I made a quick drawing on how I believe they will be using the smaller domed screens (based on what I have heard and a drawing posted earlier in this thread). I believe, based on the info released in the past 10 hours there will be 2 of these systems seperated by the scenes with the full sized AAs. One at the beginning right after you fly out of the RoR to join the Quidditch match and one at the end where you rejoin the Quidditch match.

domedscreens.jpg

Also, Teebin, in my search, I discovered this old post by Disneyhead...

My 2 kids (9 & 14) are coming down from WV June 11th- 19th. I haven't seen them since Oct. And I am seriously hopeing that the reported exclusive access for package purchasers is just from misinformed reservations operators. They are now saying that those who bought the packages are going to get what was promised in the package. And it only mentions early access, not all day exclusive access.

That's what I'm thinking...but how would in & out associate with something like that. That is what puzzles me.

What if we encounter domes more than once - perhaps they're transitional elements? What if our "arm" positions us inside a dome and something happens and then we're immediately positioned outside of the dome in a practical set? Later, when it's time to move to the next room...

(some of this is verified, some of this is speculation)

This is why I earned a degree in English Literature. I'm not an engineer, and I bow to those who think this way.

"In and out, in and out again..." -- that sounds so poetic.

Thanks for the riddle, ScottInNY! I'm guessing that the ride vehicle doesn't go in and out, but the dome will somehow transition up and down, based on how the story transitions. My best guess is actually Side-Arm (or free) Apparition, because that could create a spinning, dark effect that could quickly transition. Floo powder requires fireplaces, portkeys require new objects (this is actually possible), and brooms aren't the chosen form of transportation, unless four brooms haul the bench.

You get thrust into this dome, hence In, then out to move on to the next scene. At least, I'm assuming. I still don't know how this ties into the screen goo, unless the domes they are using are not screens but a surface that requires the need to be painted with the Screen Goo, assuming these things are all interlinked.

The only problem with this train of thought is the placement of the speakers, usually an acoustically transparent screen would allow speakers to be hidden behind the screen...hmm...just thinking aloud.

Domes are covered in Screen Goo. Imagine the visual impact of this!

Domes are covered in Screen Goo. Imagine the visual impact of this!

Hmm, that's odd. If they are using a screened material, why cover it with Screen Goo? Unless, they aren't and are using a hard surfaced dome, which then begs the question of sound, as how would they positions speakers so that the sound is coming from in front of you. Usually you would use an acoustically transparent screen so that the speakers can be behind the screen material and out of sight. And if they are using that type of screen, painting over it will reduce the amount of sound that can go through it. Seems odd. I am sure they can make it work, but still seems odd. lol.

Now everyone is cooking. I have to run for a bit, but will try to get back here before I go to bed. Perhaps my source will give me some more clues, too.

I think the domes are going to be used in several different ways, some of them will be stationary, others moving along with us. (Sorry, Disneyhead for not giving you credit for the carousel drawing.)

I'm also thinking that the rooms themselves will at times need to seem "infinite". Remember we've been promised that it will be hard to tell when we're inside or out. (The comment comes from Universal press, but I offer this as speculation.)

--- Update ---

Hmm, that's odd. If they are using a screened material, why cover it with Screen Goo? Unless, they aren't and are using a hard surfaced dome, which then begs the question of sound, as how would they positions speakers so that the sound is coming from in front of you. Usually you would use an acoustically transparent screen so that the speakers can be behind the screen material and out of sight. And if they are using that type of screen, painting over it will reduce the amount of sound that can go through it. Seems odd. I am sure they can make it work, but still seems odd. lol.

I don't exactly know the answer to this, but I do know that if you go onto the Screen Goo site, they have a whole section on painting over speakers. They actually suggest for some home theaters to embed the speakers into the wall and then paint them with Screen Goo. Just an idea.

--- Update ---

This is why I earned a degree in English Literature. I'm not an engineer, and I bow to those who think this way.

"In and out, in and out again..." -- that sounds so poetic.

Thanks for the riddle, ScottInNY! I'm guessing that the ride vehicle doesn't go in and out, but the dome will somehow transition up and down, based on how the story transitions. My best guess is actually Side-Arm (or free) Apparition, because that could create a spinning, dark effect that could quickly transition. Floo powder requires fireplaces, portkeys require new objects (this is actually possible), and brooms aren't the chosen form of transportation, unless four brooms haul the bench.

Don't know for sure. We do know Floo powder is a part of the ride, so I'm think that one of these "dome transitions" is the physical (arm) and visual (dome) experience you have when traveling by Floo. (This is pure speculation based on what I do know.) Let's just say that using domes as a means of transitioning us from set to set, makes a lot of sense.

Last edited:
Thanks for the riddle ScottinNY. I've been following from my phone but now that I am able to be online, I have to say everything we are learning sounds truly amazing so far. I REALLY can't wait til I go, and get to ride this for myself.

I believe it's been discussed that Dobby is speculated to make an appearance in WWoHP even though he is dead, but no one has mentioned that Aragog is also dead, as of now, he dies in HBP I believe (although Aragog is not confirmed yet). Hence why it is called the Wizarding World of Harry Potter, freeing Universal from being locked into any specific HP book/movie time period.

So on the thought of carousels, maybe there are several smaller carousels between certain scenes for transition. Lets say the smaller carousels contain about 5 or 6 dome screens. The diameter of these screens has to be enormous in order for there to be front projection. Im talking 15-20' in diameter perhaps...This would put the carousel diameter somewhere between 35-40 feet depending on the number of screens! are we getting warmer?

Ok, so I've missed all of the posts from today completely, and let's be honest, I do NOT want to go through all of those pages of information if there's no real information. I saw something for a second about pictures of the dome screens. Can someone give me a quick summary of today's posts?