Theme Parks: Night Photography | Page 12 | Inside Universal Forums

Theme Parks: Night Photography

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I really want to get involved with this thread, so I looked through my whole stash of photos and could only find one shot that is half decent.

I will first post up what most of my night shots look like and then the half decent one, from that I am hoping that you guys can tell me where I am going wrong.

Bad shot,
DSC_2975.jpg

Not so bad shot,
DSC_2974.jpg

For starters, if your shooting handheld at night you want to shoot with the highest f stop your lens can open up to. Chances are your kit lens may open up a little more, whats the highest they go?

For starters, if your shooting handheld at night you want to shoot with the highest f stop your lens can open up to. Chances are your kit lens may open up a little more, what's the highest they go?

I do have a tripod but it is an el cheapo, the above shots were taken using the stone sundial as my tripod.

I think the f stop numbers are,

Sigma-------------- 4 - 5.6
Kit (Nikkon)--------- 3.5 - 4

I do have a tripod but it is an el cheapo, the above shots were taken using the stone sundial as my tripod.

I think the f stop numbers are,

Sigma-------------- 4 - 5.6
Kit (Nikkon)--------- 3.5 - 4

Use the kits when walking around taking night shots since you can open it up to f/3.5 to let some more light in, especially for handheld shots. But for those type of shots and even dark rides pictures you will want to pick up something that opens to at least f/1.8, you can find some cheaper 50mm and 35mm primes lenses that would be perfect. Also pick up a sturdy tripod then you can take some night shots with the lenses you already have since you will be able to slow the shutter way down and not really worry about the F stop so much.

Use the kits when walking around taking night shots since you can open it up to f/3.5 to let some more light in, especially for handheld shots. But for those type of shots and even dark rides pictures you will want to pick up something that opens to at least f/1.8, you can find some cheaper 50mm and 35mm primes lenses that would be perfect. Also pick up a sturdy tripod then you can take some night shots with the lenses you already have since you will be able to slow the shutter way down and not really worry about the F stop so much.

Ah man, more expense, I have been on the lookout for a tripod and will try more with the kit lens.
Thanks for the advice :thumbs:

A tip I saw on the web, and have yet to try, is to use the timer with hand held shots. I would imagine that is also a good practice with a tripod as to not move the camera, like useing a remote.

A tip I saw on the web, and have yet to try, is to use the timer with hand held shots. I would imagine that is also a good practice with a tripod as to not move the camera, like useing a remote.

It is a good tip, I used it when resting my camera on the stone sundial for my "half decent" England shot, I since got my self a cheap remote, not very good mind.
So cheap tripod and cheap remote, morale of the story is buy cheap buy twice.

It is a good tip, I used it when resting my camera on the stone sundial for my "half decent" England shot, I since got my self a cheap remote, not very good mind.
So cheap tripod and cheap remote, morale of the story is buy cheap buy twice.

You can make a cheap tripod work, like I have, but once you get further long into photography you will find that you will run into situations where you will wish you have a more expensive tripod

- - - Updated - - -

When the Ritz store in the Florida Mall was going out of business I picked up a remote and cleaning kit for about $12. Best $12 I had spent on my camera yet. :lol:

Yeah you can't beat that price!

You can make a cheap tripod work, like I have, but once you get further long into photography you will find that you will run into situations where you will wish you have a more expensive tripod

I'm starting to find myself in that situation right now. There's a $60 Manfrotto with a ball head at Best Buy, but its only spec'd to 3.3lbs, so I don't think that's enough to hold up my body plus the 75-300mm lens. I may just end up buying a separate ball head and using my current tripod legs which are acceptable (its a SunPak that I got for like $30-40 way back in 2008).

I use a remote I picked up on Amazon for $6 :lol: best investment I made for night photography
Agreed I picked mine up for less than 10 bucks and its worked wonders. Before that I would use a 3 second timed burst for every shot type I did.

I'm starting to find myself in that situation right now. There's a $60 Manfrotto with a ball head at Best Buy, but its only spec'd to 3.3lbs, so I don't think that's enough to hold up my body plus the 75-300mm lens. I may just end up buying a separate ball head and using my current tripod legs which are acceptable (its a SunPak that I got for like $30-40 way back in 2008).

My buddy has the Sunpak legs and loves them. He uses his with a Vanguard ball head. I'm looking at different options and not sure if I want to get legs and ball head separate or a Manfrotto complete setup with ball head. Does your Best Buy have more than just that Manfrotto? I def would consider something more than 3.3lbs

- - - Updated - - -

Agreed I picked mine up for less than 10 bucks and its worked wonders. Before that I would use a 3 second timed burst for every shot type I did.

I have also a cheapie wireless one I got in Amazon also. I haven't used it much and doesn't let me use bulb mode either so that's one disadvantage