Toy Story Land - General Discussion | Page 19 | Inside Universal Forums

Toy Story Land - General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I still think this land needs at least another flat ride added to it. If they're spending $250 million dollars on this and all they're getting is a smaller coaster, one flat ride, an additional TSMM track and some light theming, WDI has way bigger problems than I thought.

I heard that it was SUPPOSED to be $400M, it's now been slashed to $250M (which is still ludicrous for the quality of this land imo). I honestly can't blame them for cutting a few minor things if it's gonna save that much. $400M would be stupid for TSL.

The bloated budget for TS Land was one of the many things that led to Bruce Vaughn's departure.

So it will probably go over budget and end up at $400 million.

While the scenery has obviously taken some cuts, I think it's slightly ironic that we're complaining about the removal of those things (The big tinker toy pieces, not rock work) when as this land was announced, everyone commented on how garish those big scenic pieces have made the other TS Lands.

Not defending the cuts, but this seems like an area where Disney wasn't gonna win no matter what. Now, should they have gone for a much better overall land? Absolutely, but we're way past that now.
I never understood why Disney chose to demolish backlot area and build a toy story land. How many toy story things do they need?! It should've been something new! When I first heard the backlot tour was closing, I immediately speculated that a wreck it Ralph land could be in the works. Ride in the game transporting cart and each attraction would be based on different games from the movie. Heck, if Disney wants to slash their budget, they could've had the transporting system use the layout already present for the backlot tour! :D

Reactions: Mad Dog
So it will probably go over budget and end up at $400 million.
Eh, not if they are cutting the things that typically run them over budget (ie. Rock work).

Also, thought I would mention one of the main reasons for SWL going on SoA instead of the parking lot is so they can get started on it much quicker and open more in line with DL. They also don't need to close Indy by doing things this way.

Eh, not if they are cutting the things that typically run them over budget (ie. Rock work).

Also, thought I would mention one of the main reasons for SWL going on SoA instead of the parking lot is so they can get started on it much quicker and open more in line with DL. They also don't need to close Indy by doing things this way.

I still don't understand all the issues with rock work. Disney have been using the technique since River Country, so I would have thought that they would have been quite adept at it by now.

Reactions: Mad Dog
I still don't understand all the issues with rock work. Disney have been using the technique since River Country, so I would have thought that they would have been quite adept at it by now.
Plus, and I've said it before, why the heck do they need to put so much expensive rock work in their attractions. Heck, most landscapes in the world aren't dominated by rocks. I'd rather see more money put in a ride than a significant rock wall. Trees & lush landscaping would be cheaper and actually look better than bare rock in many circumstances.

I agree. I think this was a better move putting SWL where they are. I think it allows them to keep Indy open, start quicker, finish quicker, etc.

As for the 250 Mil, I have to believe some of that is for demo and moving departments. It is still a lot, but my guess is that some chunk of it is being used for that. I imagine demo of some of these things are not cheap.

Also, can we call a spade a spade and cut it out with the "Phase 3" BS?
By the time anything after SWL and TSL happens I wouldn't even consider it a new phase anyway... just needed work.

Besides I think they know Epcot is in desperate need of a decent amount of work after DHS finishes. So yeah, talking about anything beyond TSL and SWL is fairly pointless. Although if a rumor from a good source comes along, I don't see why that can't be brought up.

By the time anything after SWL and TSL happens I wouldn't even consider it a new phase anyway... just needed work.

Besides I think they know Epcot is in desperate need of a decent amount of work after DHS finishes. So yeah, talking about anything beyond TSL and SWL is fairly pointless. Although if a rumor from a good source comes along, I don't see why that can't be brought up.

I have said all along that after SWL and TSL that they would move over to Epcot before doing anything more in DHS. I still think this. I think eventually they come back to DHS, but as you said at that point it won't really be another phase. But I also agree if rumors come out we can discuss them.

Remember people originally thought we would get nothing more than SWL and then even when TSL was announced the actual opening dates were way more in the future than they actually are. So Disney sometimes can surprise us.

Reactions: tankart150 and Nick
Although if a rumor from a good source comes along, I don't see why that can't be brought up.

No doubt. I just think there's a lot of people acting like "Phase 3" is a definite, which I find to be counting chickens way before they hatch, especially considering all the cost cutting going on in the swamp.

actual opening dates were way more in the future than they actually are.

Let's wait until they actually announce opening dates before we assume this.

No doubt. I just think there's a lot of people acting like "Phase 3" is a definite, which I find to be counting chickens way before they hatch, especially considering all the cost cutting going on in the swamp.

Let's wait until they actually announce opening dates before we assume this.

I know I have never said it will happen. I have said I hope, that I feel they will move to Epcot before doing it, and I have stated where it could go. But at no point have I thought it is a done deal. Not sure anyone else on here has, maybe I have misunderstood their comments and they do believe that. But all parks change their minds so many times that unless something is announced or being built you really can't say it will happen with any of the parks.

Wanted to add tat people said SWL would be as late as 2023 when this was announced. With TSL as late as 2020. I am pretty sure we can all agree that both SWL and TSL will open before those dates. People said no way it would open before those points.

Reactions: Nick
Remember people originally thought we would get nothing more than SWL and then even when TSL was announced the actual opening dates were way more in the future than they actually are. So Disney sometimes can surprise us.

I disagree with this. We knew Star Wars Land was happening, but also knew to some degree of Pixarland was happening. The surprise was the announcement at D23, since there was even talk that SWL wouldn't even get announced then; but also that it was straight Toy Story Land, not Pixarland or Carsland.

"Phase 3" has always seemed like a pipedream to me. We are lucky to be getting a Phase 2. Once all that money is spent, Disney will be closing up shop for awhile. SWL will do well enough that they will likely rest on their laurels.

I'm not acting as an insider but I have a friend who was recently hired for instalation of props and equipment for Pandora. He says they may be contracted for some DHS work also

He has given info on Pandora so hope he can give on DHS if possible

I would not expect Phase three to be a full land per se however DHS seems to be set to gain a few attractions well into 2022.

As with SWL, things are so fluid we won't know anything until 2018 earliest

Reactions: twebber55
I'm not acting as an insider but I have a friend who was recently hired for instalation of props and equipment for Pandora. He says they may be contracted for some DHS work also

He has given info on Pandora so hope he can give on DHS if possible

I would not expect Phase three to be a full land per se however DHS seems to be set to gain a few attractions well into 2022.

As with SWL, things are so fluid we won't know anything until 2018 earliest

As far as I've seen from you; you don't exactly have a good track record.

As for SWL, i'm betting this summer for information fully unveiled, especially considering that DLR is rumored to be getting that second floor of Innoventions/Superhero HQ (RIP SHHQ) to a brand new exhibit, showcasing SWL for their coast. If they play it right, they can do it in the Animation Building, or the One Mans Dream exhibit..

Why are you censoring those words.... ?

Sometimes, its how people..*puts on a shade of sunglasses* Roll.

(Also, you can edit the posts, making sure that it ain't going to triple posting..OCD-self)

Because of all this "budget cut" nonsense, Disney is going backwards; they've turned into "Yensid"

As far as I've seen from you; you don't exactly have a good track record.

As for SWL, i'm betting this summer for information fully unveiled, especially considering that DLR is rumored to be getting that second floor of Innoventions/Superhero HQ (RIP SHHQ) to a brand new exhibit, showcasing SWL for their coast. If they play it right, they can do it in the Animation Building, or the One Mans Dream exhibit..

Sometimes, its how people..*puts on a shade of sunglasses* Roll.

(Also, you can edit the posts, making sure that it ain't going to triple posting..OCD-self)

Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down?

Last edited by a moderator:
Take that, too smarty-pants!

...Have you seen the edit feature? I'd say to look there and to stop double/triple posting of having your point being far too long.

As for TWDC, theres an element of equivalent exchange that's going on, that's quite interesting.

The film and Animation departments are becoming very successful, with great hits of several films..while TV and the parks are starting to show their suffering.

I'd say that TSL is going to be an instance where its cheap. And i'm not saying, "Cute" cheap. I'm saying that it may turn out as bad as some of the "GE" Cheap events that occurred at USH (Creature Musical..Gasolina..and more..)

Reactions: tankart150