Toy Story Land - General Discussion | Page 28 | Inside Universal Forums

Toy Story Land - General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Similar size like what? This is on par with the barnstormer and Dumbo, which opened just over a year after closing ToonTown.

It's extremely fast to put up a no frills coaster and a spinner.

Exactly. The coaster, including the decorations, should take 9 months at most to build. Parks up here can put together a major steel coaster in that timeframe with much more difficult weather than Florida would see. The spinner is basically a concrete pad and ride hardware. Doesn't seem too difficult. I'm no engineer, contractor, or construction worker but this should have been ready by June of this year.

The construction zone has expanded to the back of the TSMM building since the last area. The queue will be moving over in that area:

C2uZtQiXAAEavBd.jpg

For reference, here is the last aerial (from just over a week ago) where the construction fence had still not been moved yet.

qOyYApQ.png

Reactions: Joel
Have we seen the coaster parts anywhere? I feel like they should be stages somewhere by now.

They might be starting to stage them somewhere, but coasters go up fairly quickly, so they might have that slated for later in the project so the track isn't in the way of other work being done. Also, they aren't that far along on the footers. under normal coaster construction standards, I'd say they would be a month or two away from seeing track. But obviously this isn't a normal situation.

Reactions: Andysol
They might be starting to stage them somewhere, but coasters go up fairly quickly, so they might have that slated for later in the project so the track isn't in the way of other work being done. Also, they aren't that far along on the footers. under normal coaster construction standards, I'd say they would be a month or two away from seeing track. But obviously this isn't a normal situation.

I'm not an expert in how long landscaping takes, but I see no reason for Disney not to have this open by Christmas.

As such, we're probably looking at summer 2018.

I think we're being really optimistic with time frames here. Look at SDMT construction as an example. Yes, that's not an identical project (should be noted the huge issue of it being an isolated work site) but the timeline should be similar. I don't think this opens till spring 2019 but I'm pessimistic with WDW construction timetables.

Reactions: fryoj and SkiBum
I think we're being really optimistic with time frames here. Look at SDMT construction as an example. Yes, that's not an identical project (should be noted the huge issue of it being an isolated work site) but the timeline should be similar. I don't think this opens till spring 2019 but I'm pessimistic with WDW construction timetables.
They already are putting footers in for the coaster, the ride system for the spin ride is being put into place and the beginnings of where the new queue for TSMM will be placed is seen in the latest aerial. I suspect we'll start to see the coaster go into place within about 3 months (or so) as well.

If this isn't open by next summer it's simply unacceptable - even by WDW construction standards - as any normal park operator would have this open this year. I'll buy you multiple rounds of drinks at Moe's if it extends into 2019 because there's just no way.

Just as a slight point of reference for the Alien Spin ride at least, this is what Mater's Junkyard Jamboree looked like 9 months before open (photo from mouse planet):

DSC03740.JPG

And of course MJJ had to wait for a much more complex and detailed land to finish before it could open.

What I meant to say was that this was suppose to be Disney's quick cheap fix, and it ended up like avatar.
Not nearly like Avatar. It's not happening at lightening speed, but it's also probably going to be done in about half the time as Pandora.

Still, considering the simplicity of the project, it should be quicker.