Universal's Epic Universe Construction Thread | Page 136 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's Epic Universe Construction Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Good ones are.

Granted, American audiences seem to prefer rides over shows, unlike European and Asian theme parks, some of which are entirely show centric, like (Ben still my beating heart) Puy de Fou.
This is woefully incorrect. People love GOOD shows... the parks just haven't added them as much recently.

At Disney, the Festival of the Lion King is insanely popular with shows every hour filling to capacity (enough to handle 1,200-1,400 each show. Guests are getting in line 90+ minutes prior to Fantasmic, which holds about 7K guests and fills the theater to capacity each night.

At Universal, Bourne is insanely popular, same with Grinchmas during the Holiday season. WaterWorld at USH is a must-do.

Great shows will always be just as popular as any theme park ride. The parks just haven't invested in them as much.

Personally I think it’s trial and error when it comes to shows. I’m sure a lot of ideas translate better during the early stages of development but when the actual show debuts it falls flat and guests don’t care for it.

Personally I think it’s trial and error when it comes to shows. I’m sure a lot of ideas translate better during the early stages of development but when the actual show debuts it falls flat and guests don’t care for it.
Just like a ride/attraction... (e.g. Fast & Furious)

Aladdin at DCA was a nightmare to get into with crowds, and when it was replaced with a sub-par show based on an even more popular/relevant IP it didn't hit well with guests.

At the end of the day, quality always wins out no matter what the data says.

Once again, if you are not a Patreon supporter of Orlando Parkstop, you are missing out. Another informative podcast from @Alicia!

I love the fact that with each episode I'm equal parts excited/scared/disappointed/hopeful as each one explains the latest progress, pitfalls, changes/cancellations, and replacement/changes.

Looking forward to the next couple of weeks updates from Bio...

Once again, if you are not a Patreon supporter of Orlando Parkstop, you are missing out. Another informative podcast from @Alicia!

I love the fact that with each episode I'm equal parts excited/scared/disappointed/hopeful as each one explains the latest progress, pitfalls, changes/cancellations, and replacement/changes.

Looking forward to the next couple of weeks updates from Bio...
Not saying anything… but Creature absolutely must terrorize us all one day.

I'm just still getting over the whole "things are happening so fast" aspect of so many projects. I can't even imagine the project management team keeping all these balls in the air juggling the timeline of construction with the changes that have happened and are happening. Just keeping track of the names and concepts is a challenge, let alone coordinating designers, contractors, subcontractors, suppliers, etc.

It's a really exciting time in Orlando theme parks!

I'm just still getting over the whole "things are happening so fast" aspect of so many projects. I can't even imagine the project management team keeping all these balls in the air juggling the timeline of construction with the changes that have happened and are happening. Just keeping track of the names and concepts is a challenge, let alone coordinating designers, contractors, subcontractors, suppliers, etc.

It's a really exciting time in Orlando theme parks!
I would be curious to hear from any posters (or lurkers) that have large scale construction experience.

Funny thing is while about 6000 people work on site many thousands of people work off site on shop interior, software. lighting, costumes, themed elements, kitchen Interieurs, tiles, carpets, seats, tables and everything and more. It blows my mind how this will come together. I've done project management for IT (on a huge scale) but even this intimidates me, but at the same time I would love to be a fly on the wall during the meetings.

Funny thing is while about 6000 people work on site many thousands of people work off site on shop interior, software. lighting, costumes, themed elements, kitchen Interieurs, tiles, carpets, seats, tables and everything and more. It blows my mind how this will come together. I've done project management for IT (on a huge scale) but even this intimidates me, but at the same time I would love to be a fly on the wall during the meetings.
Yes. It' amazing how they can put all these little pieces together. Building a new large theme park is much more complicated than building a high-rise office building. In a way, this gives me some understanding of why USF operations have suffered. They're probably overwhelmed, especially with new upper management. I think everything will run better once this new park is open for a year or so. .. I'm also curious about how over budget this project is, primarily since it was delayed, and construction cost increased. That might be the real reason behind all the cost cutting and maintenance issues at Universal Orlando the past two years, though Epic probably has a separate budget. But corporations are known to rob Peter to pay Paul (See Disney theme parks profits diverted to the weak divisions of Disney, especially the Disney+ blackhole)).

Last edited:
Yes. It' amazing how they can put all these little pieces together. Building a new large theme park is much more complicated than building a high-rise office building. In a way, this gives me some understanding of why USF operations have suffered. They're probably overwhelmed, especially with new upper management. I think everything will run better once this new park is open for a year or so. .. I'm also curious about how over budget this project is, primarily since it was delayed, and construction cost increased. That might be the real reason behind all the cost cutting and maintenance issues at Universal Orlando the past two years, though Epic probably has a separate budget. But corporations are known to rob Peter to pay Paul (See Disney theme parks profits diverted to the weak divisions of Disney, especially the Disney+ blackhole)).
There was reporting from Alicia at some point this year, maybe it was last year, that they increased the budget for the monster’s ride. I’m sure there are accidental overspends, but there seems like there’s also a conscious decision to increase spending. That may have had the same end result for the other parks.

There was reporting from Alicia at some point this year, maybe it was last year, that they increased the budget for the monster’s ride. I’m sure there are accidental overspends, but there seems like there’s also a conscious decision to increase spending. That may have had the same end result for the other parks.
Knowing now more about what happened, I don’t think they had much of a choice as the usual track manufacturer wasn’t available and they had to contract out to Peterson Inc for the track.

But also, yea, I’m happy to be hearing that supposedly instead of cutting animatronics for some of the rides, including Monsters, it sounds like they’ve added more, (or rather greenlit what was almost cut).

So, money being spent on things we would want to see it spent on it seems.