Universal's Epic Universe Wish List & Speculation | Page 367 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's Epic Universe Wish List & Speculation

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm pretty sure Saul didn't own *all* rights, just exactly what it said in the article: merchandise, live events, certain film and TV rights for LOTR and the Hobbit, plus matching rights for The Silmarillion and other materials. The article specifically said that the Tolkien Estate retained rights for TV shows based on LOTR of 8 episodes or less, hence how Amazon was able to go directly to the Tolkien estate and secure the rights without cutting Saul in.

The Tolkien estate presumably retains theme park rights and would need to be negotiated with if we want to see Middle Earth in EU.

Which, if that's the case, Uni would be back to having to negotiate with the Tolkein estate for the theme park rights and whoever ends up with the LOTR tv/movie rights and/or WB to use the movie stylings in the parks. Hell maybe Amazon too if the new series is popular enough and they want to use that material. Depending on who buys saul's rights, you could easily have three different TV/Movie presentations of the material owned by 3 different media companies with the Tolkein estate still owning whatever they own. No wonder this has never made it to the parks.

That brings us back to: If Saul has owned the rights to all of that all of this time, why has the Tolkein estate and Christopher Tolkein been brought up as the reason the theme park rights haven't been sold? They couldn't be the reason it didn't happen if Saul had the rights.
Saul did not have theme park rights. Film and related merchandise only.

So, looks like a bus from Cabana Bay or someone driving in from I-4 will use the same entrance into the Epic campus?
no the bus loop is right next to the archway for the resort follow it from kirkman you will see its got its own turn off.....every one else carries on down the road to the round about then into the parking lot

Reactions: Ahmanet
no the bus loop is right next to the archway for the resort follow it from kirkman you will see its got its own turn off.....every one else carries on down the road to the round about then into the parking lot

The more I look at the permits, the more this is confusing me about what is what. Lots of contradiction going on between different permits.

Any new indications what the second attraction in the Monsters is going to be, given the apparent lack of movement on the theater? Is a coaster still the leading alternate contender?

Or is the plan perhaps no longer for the land to feature a second opening day attraction?

Based on the permits, the former building numbered 1530 is now numbered 1560 and will definitely contain a ride based on the plan review comments from the revisions that were submitted. The initial revisions were submitted on 12/30/21 and it's been in the review process since then, with the most recent revisions being submitted on 2/8/2022. Here are the relevant screenshots:

Here's the updated permit description:
1645234799183.png

Note from 1/10/2022 indicating that the building number and scope have changed:
1645234894617.png
Old building number from the initial plans submittal in early 2020:
1645235042375.png

Comments from the plan review process clearly indicating the plan revisions contain ride foundation drawings:
1645235287799.png

Typically, "ride foundations" means coaster footers, so I think it's fairly safe to assume this is a coaster of some sort.

Attachments

• 1645234876053.png
    1645234876053.png
    15.2 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Based on the permits, the former building numbered 1530 is now numbered 1560 and will definitely contain a ride based on the plan review comments from the revisions that were submitted. The initial revisions were submitted on 12/30/21 and it's been in the review process since then, with the most recent revisions being submitted on 2/8/2022. Here are the relevant screenshots:

View attachment 15899

View attachment 15901
View attachment 15902

Comments from the plan review process clearly indicating the plan revisions contain ride foundation drawings:
View attachment 15903

Typically, "ride foundations" means coaster footers, so I think it's fairly safe to assume this is a coaster of some sort.
Nice detective work.

Mack Suspended Power Coaster ?
Not sure, but something around medium thrill level, family friendly-ish is my guess to round out the offerings.

View attachment 15899

View attachment 15901
View attachment 15902

View attachment 15903

This the old Monsters theatre?

Reactions: RFRees
I need to see this coaster concept before I’m convinced personally. A family themed monsters coaster to me, on paper, doesn’t vibe with the other 2 rides or land design itself. Would love to be proven wrong, but I think a show fits here much better. If it’s Hippogriff 2.0 then I strongly wish we got a show instead.

I really have a feeling the “story” of the land is that the Bavarian town outside the castle used by Dr. Frankenstein has leaned into its history and set itself up as a small tourist destination. With the rumor that the ride is set in the modern age, then the town is as well.

It doesn’t have to be kitschy to be self-aware.

If it IS self-aware, then a family coaster actually makes perfect sense.

I really have a feeling the “story” of the land is that the Bavarian town outside the castle used by Dr. Frankenstein has leaned into its history and set itself up as a small tourist destination. With the rumor that the ride is set in the modern age, then the town is as well.

It doesn’t have to be kitschy to be self-aware.

If it IS self-aware, then a family coaster actually makes perfect sense.

No hester & chester monster edition...this will kill the vibe more than anything

No hester & chester monster edition...this will kill the vibe more than anything
I said it didn’t have to be kitschy to be self-aware. Chester and Hester’s was kitschy by design. It was modeled after side-of-the-highway tourists traps. There are countless little European towns that make cottage industries out of tourists visiting the local castle that are authentic but very cognizant of the fact they’re a tourist attraction. They’re self-aware without the cheese.

Honestly, it’s the only “story” way to present a self-contained town that welcomes outsiders after their history of ostracizing them.

Status
Not open for further replies.