Universal's New Park/Site B Blue Sky Thread | Page 337 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's New Park/Site B Blue Sky Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And as much as I will probably get flack for it, but I'd rather want this park to *not* rely on nostalgia.

No flack. Confusion, maybe, but not flack!

Universal’s current parks could never be accused to being too nostalgic, so I don’t know why a little in the next park would hurt anybody.

I don’t know how an attraction here or there would mean the park would be “relying” on nostalgia, either. One or two attractions out of 20+ on opening day doesn’t sound like a lot to me.

Reactions: therock
Why does no one want to see a home attraction?

It outgrossed Trolls, HTTYD2, and KFP2 domestically.

Domestically is the key word here. Just because it makes a good amount of money in the states doesn’t mean that it made a good amount of money overall. Most of your visitors are coming from overseas. Plus, it wouldn’t make a good attraction.

The rumor I have heard for Croods is in fact a camp Jurassic style area.

That’s actually a really good idea, but kinda redundant if both Jurassic World and Donkey Kong get play-areas in the park.

Universal’s current parks could never be accused to being too nostalgic, so I don’t know why a little in the next park would hurt anybody.

I don’t know how an attraction here or there would mean the park would be “relying” on nostalgia, either. One or two attractions out of 20+ on opening day doesn’t sound like a lot to me.

It’d be a little weird to have attractions based on older IP’s in a brand-new, state-of-the-art theme park. They already have nostalgia in the Nintendo rides/land anyways.

Pardon my confusion, I can be like that.

That said, I mean relying on any of Universal's past catalogue seen in the parks. I was directing that more towards BTTF and Jaws.

There's still a whole lot of supposition based on stuff that we know, unequivocally, has changed. We can talk about the Orlando plans, but we know those have changed. We can talk about Tokyo, but the only thing we know for certain they are getting is Mario Kart. Their announcement art didn't include DK's jungle. It's not something we can rely on.

And we also can't rely on Universal Studios Beijing as our template for Fantastic Worlds, because Beijing is a Studios park. We still don't know, for sure, FW's structure. Layouts will not be identical. Rides will not be identical. If anything, most of what Beijing gets will duplicate what exists in the States.

So, basically, don't assume we actually know anything, for sure, until stuff is announced. Because, from where I sit, change is inevitable.
Yes this what I’m saying like OMG this needs to be pinned at the start of this thread.:agree::clap:

Domestically is the key word here. Just because it makes a good amount of money in the states doesn’t mean that it made a good amount of money overall. Most of your visitors are coming from overseas. Plus, it wouldn’t make a good attraction.

However that was the argument people made when it was mentioned anime and some other film properties were that its too niche is the states despite popularity in other target regions of Universal tourism and Universal would focus on domestic guests so which is it? Do we focus of domestic or international?

However that was the argument people made when I mentioned anime was that its too niche is the states despite being a huge in Germany, France, Central and South America (Brazil/Mexico) and Universal would focus on domestic guests so which is it? Do we focus of domestic or international?

You need to focus on both. The IP needs to be proven in both aspects, or it shouldn’t come.

They already have nostalgia in the Nintendo rides/land anyways.

The Nintendo brand is still enormously popular, so I guess I don't think of it as a nostalgia play.

Pardon my confusion, I can be like that.

That said, I mean relying on any of Universal's past catalogue seen in the parks. I was directing that more towards BTTF and Jaws.

I was just giving you a (friendly) hard time because we could not be more opposed on this issue! ;)

You need to focus on both. The IP needs to be proven in both aspects, or it shouldn’t come.

However if the method we prove aspects is popularity in the states justified by sales, then KFP, Berk, are not proven because sequels didn't do as well as the first at the box offices thus diminishing returns for effort, while Madasgascar and Shrek were the only two which sequels did better than their first film (Exception Shrek 4)

However if the method we prove aspects is popularity in the states justified by sales, then KFP, Berk, are not proven because sequels didn't do as well as the first at the box offices thus diminishing returns for effort, while Madasgascar and Shrek were the only two which sequels did better than their first film (Exception Shrek 4)

But does the GP know who/what the brand is? For KFP and Berk, the answer is yes. Home has mostly been forgotten about.

Of course, you can make a good attraction out of any IP. But Home wouldn’t make for a good attraction. It’s also a little redundant when you have six (!) other IP’s in the same brand at your disposal that would fit a lot better in a new park.

What about Mortal Engines for a steampunk inspired land...I know it’s not out yet but that would be cool.

The movie’s gonna flop. I do think that it’d make for a great land, but I don’t see it happening.
I mean your probably right but who knows it may be box office hit. Honestly it seems like me and you don’t agree on everything like FB and JW coming to the new park but you seem really open minded which is cool.

Reactions: Magic-Man
I know that we’re not going to get any original lands (other than the hub) but what about original rides? A fake-mountain with a drop-tower or coaster inside would be an awesome centerpiece for the hub.

The original Robocoaster design had the robot arm on a coaster track.

5195665777_bf410996bc.jpg

That way they could use a flat track and still get the jumping effect without all the weird stresses on the boom. When I first saw the patent, my reaction was, "that boom will be bent silly in short order".
I just thought of something that could be done with this: a cartoon style “hang time drop.” Basically the base would go down a drop while the arm extends, holding you in place for a moment before you drop as well. Maybe it could be missing a jump at some point.

Another thought though is that this ride could potentially be even worse than FJ when it comes to seeing the arms attached to other ride cars unless they’re considerably more spaced out from each other. I assume for this ride they’d have to be attached from the bottom since we’d have to be in a normal looking mine cart and anything on the sides would be obvious.

Edit: another possible effect could be popping a side wheelie as we’re making a tight turn. They could also end the ride with the same broken track from the end of Retro’s mine cart levels with DK saving us somehow.

Last edited:
Reactions: therock
Status
Not open for further replies.