Volcano Bay Construction & Preview Discussion | Page 70 | Inside Universal Forums

Volcano Bay Construction & Preview Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Even outside city limits, you need a blinking red light on top--that raises certain aesthetic challenges.

I believe its more of an FAA thing that requires the lights at 200ft. But check out in bold, makes it seem that if the study finds it will not impair aviation safety the light isn't required is how I read that part. Not saying Universal has or will request that study, but its always a possibility id imagine. With all the helicopters flying around I would think they would have to have the warning lights.

http://www.faa.gov/documentlibrary/media/advisory_circular/ac 70 7460-1k.pdf

"2. No Marking and/or Lighting. The object may be so located with respect to other objects or terrain, removed from the general flow of air traffic, or may be so conspicuous by its shape, size, or color that marking or lighting would serve no useful purpose."

"20. STRUCTURES TO BE MARKED AND LIGHTED Any temporary or permanent structure, including all appurtenances, that exceeds an overall height of 200 feet (61m) above ground level (AGL) or exceeds any obstruction standard contained in 14 CFR part 77, should normally be marked and/or lighted. However, an FAA aeronautical study may reveal that the absence of marking and/or lighting will not impair aviation safety. Conversely, the object may present such an extraordinary hazard potential that higher standards may be recommended for increased conspicuity to ensure safety to air navigation. Normally outside commercial lighting is not considered sufficient reason to omit recommended marking and/or lighting. Recommendations on marking and/or lighting structures can vary depending on terrain features, weather patterns, geographic location, and in the case of wind turbines, number of structures and overall layout of design. The FAA may also recommend marking and/or lighting a structure that does not exceed 200 (61m) feet AGL or 14 CFR part 77 standards because of its particular location."

Certain IPs/attraction types could work in the blinking light as part of the them, but yeah, it'd take some creativity.
Like this?
015_hulk_at_night_661.jpg

Reactions: Nick and Mike S
Hey all! I've read the forums for quite some time, but now I decided to finally post. Volcano Bay is quite possibly, in my opinion, the most impressive project I've seen Universal take on, with Kong coming in with a near tie. I've read through a good chunk of this thread, but there's a few questions I wanted to raise and get your opinions on;
  • Will Volcano Bay operate year-round? I imagine a park of this magnitude could use some time for maintenance. Maybe close after Christmas season in Mid-January and open back up in late February? Sometimes it isn't even warm enough in those months.
  • What kind of hours will Volcano Bay have? I think it'd be really cool to have some late nights where they close at 10. Most other water parks in the area are closed before sunset. Seeing the volcano at night would be impressive.

Hey all! I've read the forums for quite some time, but now I decided to finally post. Volcano Bay is quite possibly, in my opinion, the most impressive project I've seen Universal take on, with Kong coming in with a near tie. I've read through a good chunk of this thread, but there's a few questions I wanted to raise and get your opinions on;
  • Will Volcano Bay operate year-round? I imagine a park of this magnitude could use some time for maintenance. Maybe close after Christmas season in Mid-January and open back up in late February? Sometimes it isn't even warm enough in those months.
  • What kind of hours will Volcano Bay have? I think it'd be really cool to have some late nights where they close at 10. Most other water parks in the area are closed before sunset. Seeing the volcano at night would be impressive.

Taking a stab, I expect operation similar to WDW water parks. A month long refurb every year combined with hours probably around 10am-8pm or so (when parks are doing 8/9-9/10)

Welcome, officially!

I think 10-10 during peak times would be really cool, with refurb in February. This park has so much potential to be incredible at night time, I think they should really take advantage of that and try to keep guests in the park after sunset. From personal experience, I'm not much of a water park-goer because I hate burning my feet on concrete in the middle of the day; at night would be completely different.

Taking a stab, I expect operation similar to WDW water parks. A month long refurb every year combined with hours probably around 10am-8pm or so (when parks are doing 8/9-9/10)

I would honestly expect Volcano Bay to be open until ten a lot of the time over the summer, the way Wet 'n Wild is. Especially if the talk about the park "transforming" after dark is true.

I would honestly expect Volcano Bay to be open until ten a lot of the time over the summer, the way Wet 'n Wild is. Especially if the talk about the park "transforming" after dark is true.

Wet n Wild is open only until 9pm and only from middle of June to middle of August. I agree that the times open for this park will be very similar. But I also think that there will be a month of refurb because this park will need it to keep it up maintenance wise.

Another interesting idea would be allowing resort guests for an hour or two in the park after closing... similar to opening Potter an hour before.

That's a very difficult thing to implement and would cause a number of difficult conversations with customers who are being told to leave before others because they aren't staying on site. I understand the opening early argument as the customer isnt already 'inside' but something doesn't feel quite right about getting guests to leave.

Truthfully I don't think the demand would be there for on site guests to remain in the evening as it will be a lot quieter by that point, it isn't quite the same as Potter but I see where you're coming from

Reactions: greendude33
That's a very difficult thing to implement and would cause a number of difficult conversations with customers who are being told to leave before others because they aren't staying on site. I understand the opening early argument as the customer isnt already 'inside' but something doesn't feel quite right about getting guests to leave.

Truthfully I don't think the demand would be there for on site guests to remain in the evening as it will be a lot quieter by that point, it isn't quite the same as Potter but I see where you're coming from

Disney has no problem implementing extra magic hours so no reason Universal couldn't if they went that path. Not saying it is the right thing to do or not, just stating Disney does that so perhaps a lot of tourist have already been accustomed to that. Actually Universal does that in away now with HHN and sweeping all the day guest out of the park.

Disney has no problem implementing extra magic hours so no reason Universal couldn't if they went that path. Not saying it is the right thing to do or not, just stating Disney does that so perhaps a lot of tourist have already been accustomed to that. Actually Universal does that in away now with HHN and sweeping all the day guest out of the park.

Yeh good point, I just don't think there would be that much added benefit to it being a water park in the evening. I can't see the demand being there for that and it would be more hassle than it's worth.

I think HHN is a bit different as its a seperate ticket event.

Wet n Wild is open only until 9pm and only from middle of June to middle of August. I agree that the times open for this park will be very similar. But I also think that there will be a month of refurb because this park will need it to keep it up maintenance wise.

I wonder how Aquatica manages not to close for seasonal maintenance. Do they just close one attraction at a time or something? Maybe Volcano Bay will do the same thing. As for the hours, I could see them keeping it open later if they push a specific "after dark" promotion.

Honestly, I would much rather a park close for a month out of the year than close off individual attractions one-by-one. February might be the best month to close Volcano Bay... just my opinion

I wonder how Aquatica manages not to close for seasonal maintenance. Do they just close one attraction at a time or something? Maybe Volcano Bay will do the same thing. As for the hours, I could see them keeping it open later if they push a specific "after dark" promotion.
Yes, every so often they just close a ride for maintenance, same as wet n wild.

Honestly, I would much rather a park close for a month out of the year than close off individual attractions one-by-one. February might be the best month to close Volcano Bay... just my opinion
January is best. February is when it starts getting warm again... Jan is coldest month by far in FL.

Yeh good point, I just don't think there would be that much added benefit to it being a water park in the evening. I can't see the demand being there for that and it would be more hassle than it's worth.

I think HHN is a bit different as its a seperate ticket event.

Maybe in the summer if there is enough demand that would be justified but you're right about it being a hassle.

Status
Not open for further replies.