Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion (Opens 2014) | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion (Opens 2014)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Poll Closed

• Yes

Votes: 154 88.0%
  • No

Votes: 21 12.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have actually heard this "rumor" from 3 separate sources. 2 of which are basically clueless types of folks who just heard through the grapevine that it was happening. So I was pretty skeptical. Then I heard the exact same rumor from someone that I know to be VERY connected and VERY reliable. And I can tell you that the folks down at TDO DO believe this rumor.

I have heard NOTHING about what attractions/ shops/ potter locals are to be included. I have heard that Sindbad is history. Don't know anything about Posiden's or Mythos.

And the timeline is that construction will start very soon (like right after the Holiday Season) and they are aiming for a Spring 2012 opening.

Oh, and this is just my guess but I am betting it is going to just be the area from the arch just past Fire Eaters Grill to the current Hogsmeade entry arch by the train. That way they could use the temp bridge to get around the area and they will use the older bridge to access TWWOHP during construction.

But please keep in mind as of yet this IS still just a rumor.

TDO? I don't recognize that particular anagram, what is that?

And If they do start after the holiday season, that is to me TOO soon to start this expansion. Phase 1 hasn't even rubbed off its shiny new-ness yet and they are planning to expand already. They should wait AT LEAST until after the holidays of 2011 to start the expansion that way the in its current state it can continue to bring in the business.

TDO= Team Disney Orlando

Remember, if they start after the Holidays this year it will still be 2012 before it opens. Of course TWWOHP as it stands would still be open for next summer. You would just have to enter using the old bridge from Jurassic Park.

Ahhh gotcha, TDO, check :thumbs:

But true, but then even if it does open in 2012, some people who were planning to come, lets say, next summer, will hold off one more year and come when Phase 2 is opening. I just think its worth waiting AT LEAST a year of being open before pushing ahead.

Personally I'm all for it and I can't wait to see the expansion, but from a business standpoint, they need to wait a little more before announcing anything. More than likely they will announce the closer of Sinbad after the new year and begin the demo of that building. Then once that demo is done, they would make an announcement. But the moment they announce "Sinbad is shutting its curtains after 11 years." We know something is up.

They may just take Sindbad off the map, and start the construction. And wait to make the big announcement until after next summer. Sort of like what Disney did with Bay Lake Tower. Us geeks knew what was going on, but they didn't want to cannabalize the sales of Saratoga Springs by having people wait for the new thing.

I should add that there are some at Uni who are pushing for other projects (particularly at the Studios) instead of expanding Potter. And there is a wait and see thing going on with Rockit.

I would push for changes at the Studios as well.

I mean they have the empty MSW building sitting in the MIDDLE of the park where a year round haunt would be spectacular. The empty old Hard Rock building. Twister and Neutron showing its age already, and a pointless stage show FFL, and no Kong anywhere in sight.

I agree Potter is making them A LOT of money, but if they do expand it will be what we both stated probably, close Sinbad, work on that, and THEN make an announcement down the line.

(Assuming this IS happening) I think if Sinbad is going there's a good chance the rest of LC is doomed too. I mean aside from a few miscellaneous shops and carni games, the only things left are Mythos and Poseidon's Fury. It would be silly to have an island with basically ONE attraction and a restaurant in it... But at the same time if they expand potter into all of LC, then Potter is going to be like HALF of IOA. So I'm a little puzzled...

Tourist 1: "Islands of Adventure? Whats that?"

Tourist 2: "Oh its like this Harry Potter theme park that has a comic book, superhero, dinosaur and cat area too."

Here is the thing that ALOT of people seem to forget and gloss over. The current WWoHP has the EXACT same footprint that LC with the exception of the FJ building and ride. They didn't move FotH when it was the Flying Unicorn, and the bridge you walk on was always there. The difference is less trees so it seems like its a lot more open.

LC was always the largest island in the park anyways, HP just took over half of it. So if HP took over the rest, its not like they added to much in the first place.

Secondly, we would lose the Arabian section of LC and the carnie games (which they have more in between TL and MSI) and a couple of specialty shops that can easily be built alonside Mythos or PF. So those shops are being replaces with HP specialty shops that would make them more money than they are making now.

Either way it is a win/win for UO because in the long run HP will bring them in MUCH more money.

^Actually, I'm pretty sure that Jurassic Park is the largest island in the park.

And Universal_Fan, I would have to disagree with your point. Like Vyrus was saying, if WWoHP does expand into the rest of the LC, then it wouldn't be nearly the size that you recommend. It would simply be the size of the former Lost Continent plus Hogwarts Castle. Now the rumored expansion may cause it to pass over JP as the park's largest section, but by no means would it dominate the park, at least in my opinion.

As a franchise, Potter dwarfs all others. So I see no problem with it being a dominant presance in the park. Gatting Potter was quite the coup for Universal. And they should make it all it can be.

I forgot one someone else mentioned-

-The Burrow- Like Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse, just a large structure filled with (interactive) props and effects that guests can walk through.

Also added to my original post :)
Another great idea that I don't think will happen because where would you put it? it would be hard to fit in the WWoHP, since it's not near Hogsmeade or Diagon Alley :-S Unless they create another dark ride where they use dissaparition or portkeys in the storyline and we get to visit different locations.

I'm with Nightshade on this...I just want to see SOME KIND of hard evidence that points to this really happening, ANYTHING other than a "rumor" (No offense to the sources) but show me some evidence and I'll jump in.
There was also a survey asking visitors about a Potter expansion. See here.

wwsurvey.jpg

That's evidence that Universal is at least toying with the idea, testing the waters, and seeing how big they should go on this.

I really hope this ends up becoming a reality, and the one thing I noticed is a rumored spring 2012 opening. I wonder if this opening date is planned to beat Disney's Fantasyland expansion opening date as well?
Beat it or take advantage of it? There will be people coming down here just to check out the newly expanded Fantasyland, and Universal can get those people to also visit the newly expanded Potter while they're here ;-)

More than likely they will announce the closer of Sinbad after the new year and begin the demo of that building. Then once that demo is done, they would make an announcement. But the moment they announce "Sinbad is shutting its curtains after 11 years." We know something is up.
They may just take Sindbad off the map, and start the construction. And wait to make the big announcement until after next summer. Sort of like what Disney did with Bay Lake Tower. Us geeks knew what was going on, but they didn't want to cannabalize the sales of Saratoga Springs by having people wait for the new thing.
I think that's probably what's gonna happen.

She has the knowledge of the characters and the world to do so, and she definitely doesn't lack the creativity, but she said that right now she is not even planning to do it. Anyhow lets get :focus:

Last edited:
Again, I'm not disagreeing with them expanding through all of LC. And by all means Potter SHOULD be a dominant presence in the park. I was just trying to say that "Tourists" are going to be referring IOA as the "Harry Potter theme park", since Potter is so much more popular than any other island(regardless of physical size) Just throwing it out there, its not a bad thing!

Again, I'm not disagreeing with them expanding through all of LC. And by all means Potter SHOULD be a dominant presence in the park. I was just trying to say that "Tourists" are going to be referring IOA as the "Harry Potter theme park", since Potter is so much more popular than any other island(regardless of physical size) Just throwing it out there, its not a bad thing!

Actually, most of the people are already referring to IoA as the Potter park :p But like you, I agree it's not a bad thing. Thanks to Potter many people are finding out about Islands and even Universal for the first time! Then once these Potter fans visit the WWoHP they are also visiting the other islands and Uni and the resorts, so they are getting to know all of this and hopefully falling in love with it. So, anything is good as long as it brings more business to Universal, and it helps them get capital for further expansion as well as to keep the parks looking good! :thumbs:

PS: And it also helps Orlando overall because it's getting a lot of new tourism thanks to the park!

Last edited:
Look at it this way, just the crowds so far and predicted for the holidays made them decide to bring Trike back.

Remember that Universal is contractually obligated to reflect the films as they are released; the current WWoHP covers the first 4 films, which had been released when a majority of the planning was done. In less than 10 months they'll have the 4 remaining films to work with. The "Lost" Continent is a gold mine. It gives them tons of space to continue building Potterland, which will add to the value of the park, increase revenue, and give them additional reasons to market "ALL NEW!" sections of WWoHP.

Possible use of the space:
Sinbad - HP stunt show: Wizard Dueling, re-enactment of the final battle (since they can't depict characters), other events from the films?
Poseidon - Walking "dark ride": Horcruxes (the cave?), Gringotts, reflection of films 5-8?
Streets - Diagon Alley?
Other things they may create - The Burrow, Weasley's Wizard Wheezes, Flourish and Blottes, Ministry of Magic

the current WWoHP covers the first 4 films, which had been released when a majority of the planning was done.

Actually the WWOHP incorporates elements from ALL of the films. They designed some of the sets from later movies off elements already visualized and built in the WWOHP.

Actually the WWOHP incorporates elements from ALL of the films. They designed some of the sets from later movies off elements already visualized and built in the WWOHP.

While true, the "storyline" (for lack of a better term) for WWoHP is during the events of books/films 3-4.

From what I heard before I left Universal recently, plans are already developed or at least in the final phases of expanding into the LC. It's only a matter of time and like stated before, what better way to take attention away from the Fantasyland expansion?? It's perfect!

Thinking more about the LC area, I can't imagine them passing up the opportunity to make Sinbad a Potter stunt show, but there is a huge amount of room there. If you tear out the show building and also level the large amount of plaza space with the palm reader tents, the other random swords and trinket tents and sigh.. the fountain.. that's enough room for another major attraction IF you didn't want to go with the stunt show.

Sadly if they do expand into the LC, I'm sorry guys.. but say bye bye to Mythos. The Three Broomsticks is awesome but its not a sit down, full service restaurant and its very frantic. If Universal would take out Mythos and replace it with a decent themed HP full service place (maybe with characters) people would pay a premium for that AND it'd be one of those things where you need to book it 6 months in advance!

I think it'd be cool to have a walk through dark ride where Poseidon is. Another major attraction where Sinbad. A Harry Potter restaurant. And if you wanted to do a stage show, squeeze a smaller amphitheater out into the lake.

Thinking more about the LC area, I can't imagine them passing up the opportunity to make Sinbad a Potter stunt show

I agree, every structure in IOA is still relatively new. I cant imagine them tearing down everything left in LC and starting over. We are most likely going to get a potter stunt show, walk through attraction, and restaurant out of the deal. At least this would be the most cost/time efficient route.

A Potter stunt show would be blah, I don't want to see people "flying" around on a broom suspended by wires in a stunt show. Not to mention they really can't recreate the speed a broom is suppossed to go either. If they level the Sinbad show, we are going to get some sort of indoor attraction, there is no other way they could do anything worth it unless they were to do that.

They can't turn Mythos into the Great Hall Dining (thats something Disney would do) but maybe the Leaky Cauldron, but there aren't really any restaurants in the Potterverse that are full service worthy IMHO.

Mythos and Poseidon have to stay, Sinbad and Arabian section has to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.