Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion (Opens 2014)

Poll Closed

• Yes

Votes: 154 88.0%
  • No

Votes: 21 12.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Google The Hilton or Beetham Tower, Manchester UK to see how big heavy things can be balanced ;)

Also, walk on the Grand Canyon Skywalk. Cantilevered structures tend to be very stong, so long as they are built/engineered correctly.

These two are very different structures from that of the HE train tracks, though. They both have a part that is cantilevered, but this part is much smaller than the part of the Hilton or Skywalk that it "footed" down to the ground. This train track structure has a small part that is "footed" and a long cantilevered part, where all the force from both trains' weight will be applied.

Here's a rough representation of what I mean (obviously not to scale)

Cantilevered_zps7947ca6e.jpg

That's why it looks so logic-defying, to me. Again, not saying it can't work, it's just very mind boggling.

Last edited:
These two are very different structures from that of the HE train tracks, though. They both have a part that is cantilevered, but this part is much smaller than the part of the Hilton or Skywalk that it "footed" down to the ground. This train track structure has a small part that is "footed" and a long cantilevered part, where all the force from both trains' weight will be applied.

Here's a rough representation of what I mean (obviously not to scale)

Cantilever_zpsfa2eb851.png

That's why it looks so logic-defying, to me. Again, not saying it can't work, it's just very mind boggling.

Yep, that does not look very logical. But it appears to be missing some important parts.

So to summarize the last few posts if you may have skimmed...Universal is no longer able to properly place supports and plans failure into their designs..please enjoy the Springfield expansion thread

Where's my Structural Engineering book from college....

Seriously, it's fine guys. An I beam is incredibly strong design, combine that with a large foundation and many supports, it's enough. Also remember, the design factor of a constant moving train is different than a massive Hilton or a massive observation deck extending over the Grand Canyon.

Yep, that does not look very logical. But it appears to be missing some important parts.

Oh, true! :thumbs: I just looked at the picture again and corrected my little sketch. Though it's more like 1/3 footers to 2/3 cantilevered track, than half footers and half cantilevered track.

Cantilevered_zps7947ca6e.jpg

---

Loving the ironic comments being thrown around... :rolleyes: How dare I question or not understand something?! Bad boy, Felipe! :lol:

Well, I already got a satisfactory answer to my conundrum, in that this will work because of the huge bases plus the type/strength of the steel in these footers, so I'll move along now... God forbid I keep derailing the conversation from all those other Phase II topics being discussed... Oh, wait, this is the only new thing right now :blank:

Last edited:
Oh, true! :thumbs: I just looked at the picture again and corrected my little sketch. Though it's more like 1/3 footers to 2/3 cantilevered track, than half footers and half cantilevered track.

---

Loving the ironic comments being thrown around... :rolleyes: How dare I question or not understand something?! Bad boy, Felipe! :lol:

Well, I already got a satisfactory answer to my conundrum, in that this will work because of the huge bases plus the type/strength of the steel in these footers, so I'll move along now... God forbid I keep derailing the conversation from all those other Phase II topics being discussed... Oh, wait, this is the only new thing right now :blank:

Ha ha, yep it is not very accurate. Made the changes real quick to show the basics. But it does look like it cantilevers out more than depicted in my image, still pretty solid in my mind.

You can see the top beam is much bigger than the vertical ones which hold it up, that is probably to make sure it does not bend down. It sits on top of the middle beam that holds it up, but overlaps the outside beam which holds it up as well as holding it down (as not to "teeter" on the middle beam).

I do believe these would only be the supports in the middle, which are spaced quite close together. I believe the supports closer to the stations are further spaced out, but there is a single track centered over the two vertical supports.

So to summarize the last few posts if you may have skimmed...Universal is no longer able to properly place supports and plans failure into their designs..please enjoy the Springfield expansion thread

All I was saying is that it is a mind boggling design and an ambitious effort. Add to this that engineers can really mess up at times in their calculations and materials. This is a fact.

However, I am happy that HTF has checked and the concrete forms are reportedly very deep... this fits more with the torque I envision will be needed against the sandy subsurface to support the frame above. I have never been worried about the steel.

Fixed :thumbs:

And totally to scale :pound:

Ha ha, yep it is not very accurate. Made the changes real quick to show the basics. But it does look like it cantilevers out more than depicted in my image, still pretty solid in my mind.

You can see the top beam is much bigger than the vertical ones which hold it up, that is probably to make sure it does not bend down. It sits on top of the middle beam that holds it up, but overlaps the outside beam which holds it up as well as holding it down (as not to "teeter" on the middle beam).

I do believe these would only be the supports in the middle, which are spaced quite close together. I believe the supports closer to the stations are further spaced out, but there is a single track centered over the two vertical supports.

Where's my Structural Engineering book from college....

Seriously, it's fine guys. An I beam is incredibly strong design, combine that with a large foundation and many supports, it's enough. Also remember, the design factor of a constant moving train is different than a massive Hilton or a massive observation deck extending over the Grand Canyon.

I went all simple with bending stress and you go and whip out design factor. :lol:

Hello, Some pictures from this morning around 11:30am.

And my picture of the beginnings of Gringotts Facade.

That's all Harry Potter I could grab today, If you ever see me in the parks, Don't hesitate to say a friendly hello

Status
Not open for further replies.