Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Universal Lack of Announcements Thread

“Not seeing the numbers it was anticipating” and “down” are two very different things.

But AFAIK the only park not hitting expectations was Volcano Bay, and that’s mostly due to the wildly inaccurate initial projections UOR had for it
I wish we could see all of these things, but we have to rely on speculation

Also, something to ponder....It will be nice having another theoretical Potter people eater around to soak up the already packed Hogsmede

Perhaps, and this may sound crazy to us, but perhaps, marketing is happy with the current rate of vacationers visiting the parks. And, (while the mouse down the street doesn't seem to mind dealing with it for Star Wars,) Universal Orlando knows they aren't prepared for, or willing to deal with, a massive onslaught of new guests this summer lined up to enter Hogsmeade again.

Promoting a new ride at the Wizarding World in the weeks leading up to its opening will do what it needs to do to create interest for people scheduling holiday vacations, or vacations next year, but will also ensure they don't get too overcrowded for the summer.

Word is from folks in the know, Orlando marketing seems pretty happy right now with where things are.

The only thing that puzzles me about this, and I do think you are onto something, is that Universal gave us a title and description much more specific way ahead of time for both Fallon and Supercharged (even despite the delay on the latter). They also gave a head's up about what Diagon Alley was for the most part well beforehand. However, Gringotts name itself wasn't revealed until January, for a prospected June opening. I know Supercharged's GSATs aren't the greatest, but I do find it interesting that this is the project that the resort is choosing to keep rather mum on the most it has in a long while. Even the confirm was strangely vague and they've been dead set on that even while dishing out some promotion.

I know inconsistencies in Universal's marketing strategy is almost a way of life by this point, but it shocks me that even in the face of Galaxy's Edge they're taking a somewhat laid back approach to this. I hope I'm proven wrong very soon, but that's the only thing that I'm seeing at this current point in time, especially for a resort that has its eyes on something much, much larger.

“Not seeing the numbers it was anticipating” and “down” are two very different things.

But AFAIK the only park not hitting expectations was Volcano Bay, and that’s mostly due to the wildly inaccurate initial projections UOR had for it

Also it barely makes money due to constant guest complaints, IIRC.

The only thing that puzzles me about this, and I do think you are onto something, is that Universal gave us a title and description much more specific way ahead of time for both Fallon and Supercharged (even despite the delay on the latter). They also gave a head's up about what Diagon Alley was for the most part well beforehand. However, Gringotts name itself wasn't revealed until January, for a prospected June opening. I know Supercharged's GSATs aren't the greatest, but I do find it interesting that this is the project that the resort is choosing to keep rather mum on the most it has in a long while. Even the confirm was strangely vague and they've been dead set on that even while dishing out some promotion.

I know inconsistencies in Universal's marketing strategy is almost a way of life by this point, but it shocks me that even in the face of Galaxy's Edge they're taking a somewhat laid back approach to this. I hope I'm proven wrong very soon, but that's the only thing that I'm seeing at this current point in time, especially for a resort that has its eyes on something much, much larger.
They know this one will generate a lot of buzz, and they want to be ready I’m sure.

Last edited:

What’s interesting I think is perception. We want more information and think universal is screwing up. But on another hand we could view this as confident in their product and marketing.

I think it’s important to separate two things

1) Our desire as fans to know what’s coming next
2) Advertising’s role to fill hotel rooms and sell tickets

On #1 we all agree Universal is bad at. No doubt. #2 is something we just don’t have access to and we extrapolate our frustrations with #1 onto #2.

Universal is gonna Universal, they are not Disney and no matter how much we complain it won’t change that, it’ll just create a negative and toxic atmosphere. Additionally because we don’t know something doesn’t mean there isn’t a plan or something rolling out. There can be a two year in the works plan on this coaster roll out with video updates, insider interviews, etc ready to go once they hit a date, but because we don’t know anything we assume they’re sitting on their hands, running around confused, or “incompetent.”

Don’t confuse our frustrations as fans with a lack of larger game plan.

Is this STILL happening? I remember there being a lot of refunds in the opening months, but I can't imagine they are still rapidly handing out refunds? When I was there in October of 2017 it was "fine"

Is this STILL happening? I remember there being a lot of refunds in the opening months, but I can't imagine they are still rapidly handing out refunds? When I was there in October of 2017 it was "fine"
AFAIK it's mostly stabilized. It's still not being received super well, but it's not as bad as it was initially

AFAIK it's mostly stabilized. It's still not being received super well, but it's not as bad as it was initially
It’s a nice park for just relaxing. Laying by the pool, going in the lazy river for some rounds, grabbing a time for the water coaster or something, and just sun bathing. If your alright with that, you’ll like the park.

It’s a pain otherwise if you want to ride all of the big ticket slides unless you get there right at opening during EPA.

It’s a nice park for just relaxing. Laying by the pool, going in the lazy river for some rounds, grabbing a time for the water coaster or something, and just sun bathing. If your alright with that, you’ll like the park.

It’s a pain otherwise if you want to ride all of the big ticket slides unless you get there right at opening during EPA.

Maybe during peak season? I went in October last year and did everything pretty easily, and did 2-3 rides on Krakatau

Potter is a stupid situation as there will have been people 6 months ago from the UK looking at their plans for 2019. Holidays for 2020 are already on offer. It’s very naive to assume this hasn’t swayed business in many situations potentially from Universal to Disney.

I’m actually in a similar holiday decision making process situation now. We were dead set on Florida for 2020. The lack of real information from Universal about Orlando (we know about Disney and the Mickey ride is intruiging) but we’re actually changing plans to California. Potter could have swayed that, but if the announcement isn’t soon i’ll likely have 2020 booked up already (not taking into account thousands already made plans for 2019!)

I don’t know if they know that these holidays cost thousands from the UK and people typically book well in advance (as they require saving for many)

Attraction Tickets Direct, a major seller of theme park tickets in the UK have been selling Galaxys Edge as a reason to visit Disney World since October 2018 through email, Facebook advertising, paid search.

Everything about this direction from Universal is wrong,

Potter is a stupid situation as there will have been people 6 months ago from the UK looking at their plans for 2019. Holidays for 2020 are already on offer. It’s very naive to assume this hasn’t swayed business in many situations potentially from Universal to Disney.

I’m actually in a similar holiday decision making process situation now. We were dead set on Florida for 2020. The lack of real information from Universal about Orlando (we know about Disney and the Mickey ride is intruiging) but we’re actually changing plans to California. Potter could have swayed that, but if the announcement isn’t soon i’ll likely have 2020 booked up already (not taking into account thousands already made plans for 2019!)

I don’t know if they know that these holidays cost thousands from the UK and people typically book well in advance (as they require saving for many)

Attraction Tickets Direct, a major seller of theme park tickets in the UK have been selling Galaxys Edge as a reason to visit Disney World since October 2018 through email, Facebook advertising, paid search.

Everything about this direction from Universal is wrong,
I would think, short of a hurricane or tornado destroying the ride, that the Potter coaster will be finished way before a trip in 2020. I would say that's like 100 percent for sure.

I would think, short of a hurricane or tornado destroying the ride, that the Potter coaster will be finished way before a trip in 2020. I would say that's like 100 percent for sure.

Sorry I think I confused things by mentioning 2020. My point was that this time last year people will have been looking at where to book for 2019. People are still booking right now for 2019. They’re missing out on 2019 business right now.

I’ve already planned 2019 and am looking at 2020. I book early, when the price is right. There’s currently not enough that I know about to justify a trip to Orlando vs California for 2020 (seeing as I can see Star Wars over the west coast in 2020) the Mickey ride is a teaser, but Potter could sway it. By the time I know more detail I may have booked up for 2020 in California too, even though I know Potter will be ready.

I am going to predict we will hear a few announcements about what’s coming to universal Orlando in the next few years once the Harry Potter coaster opens just to name a few here are my thoughts after The new potter attraction opens at IOA.

Will JP just add a new attraction or turn the the themed land into Jurassic World or just add the new JP coaster and add the new JW land to Fantastic Worlds
T2:3D replacement should be announced sometime this year I’m expecting we will hear more around the spring and it will open after the new potter coaster.
Super Nintendo Land will finally have a new home including Mario, Zelda, and Pokémon all in one park since we won’t be seeing several lands in both 2 parks but will see it all in the third gate like I said.
An announcement of a official name for the third universal Orlando park will be titled Fantastic Worlds for sure or will be named Universals epic universe. Those two names will be the front runners.
I meant to add what will happen after all this time to Woody Woodpeckers Kidzone & Fievel if he’s still their.

Last edited:
Sorry I think I confused things by mentioning 2020. My point was that this time last year people will have been looking at where to book for 2019. People are still booking right now for 2019. They’re missing out on 2019 business right now.

I’ve already planned 2019 and am looking at 2020. I book early, when the price is right. There’s currently not enough that I know about to justify a trip to Orlando vs California for 2020 (seeing as I can see Star Wars over the west coast in 2020) the Mickey ride is a teaser, but Potter could sway it. By the time I know more detail I may have booked up for 2020 in California too, even though I know Potter will be ready.

Any UK travel agent that handles Orlando and doesn't know to hip their clients to the new Potter coaster is in the wrong line of work. Of course, that describes most of the travel agents I encounter day to day.

The question I wanted to also add is if JURASSIC Park doesn’t have two themed lands in both IOA and the third gate based off of both franchises what will happen to the the river adventure will it get a Jurassic world makeover? Jurassic park expansion has very little room to work with because Kong and potter are both close by. The coaster has that room to build in the IOA JP land. The Sinbad show in lost continent no one knows what’s going to go their and LC is too far from JP land to expand over their. I think the kong attraction would’ve made a good spot for a gyro sphere ride. But now since reign of Kong is not going anywhere for a while that puts future Jurassic world attractions at the JP land at IOA in a tough spot and also since potter is next too JP potter isn’t going anywhere obviously. So should universal just go along with two JP/JW themed lands in both universal Orlando parks?

I say this from the point of view of someone who has been staying on site at UoR since CBBR opened (at least a handful of nights each year.

I’ve seen the property continue to add rooms,yet I continue to find it harder to stay where/when I want on a ‘weekend whim’.

I’ve noticed the visitors change over the years in a way that I feel shows UoR does know how to fill rooms in Orlando! So I am of the camp that Marketing knows exactly what they are doing.

Over these same years, the parks themselves have continued to feel manageable (not needing Express). The mix of single rider lines to high capacity rides, my family still enjoys our visits.

I say this from the point of view of someone who has been staying on site at UoR since CBBR opened (at least a handful of nights each year.

I’ve seen the property continue to add rooms,yet I continue to find it harder to stay where/when I want on a ‘weekend whim’.

I’ve noticed the visitors change over the years in a way that I feel shows UoR does know how to fill rooms in Orlando! So I am of the camp that Marketing knows exactly what they are doing.

Over these same years, the parks themselves have continued to feel manageable (not needing Express). The mix of single rider lines to high capacity rides, my family still enjoys our visits.
Yes...When I started long vacations at Universal back in 2011, even though there were only 3 hotels on site, I could book rooms, and get my choice, two weeks before I visited. It was that way for a couple of years. But once Diagon opened, even though CBBR and it's many rooms were added to the mix, I found I needed to book about 6 months in advance to get a good room choice. Since then they've added Sapphire & Aventura and rooms still go fast. At one of the quarterly conferences, Comcast/Universal Execs. stated they averaged 90% plus occupancy of their on site Orlando resort hotels. Also, when talking to other visitors and hotel employees, my long vacations were a bit of a rarity back in 2011, 2012 and 2013. Now I routinely run into tourists whose stays are long like mine. ...And yes, the Universal parks are still manageable. Sometimes we'll split a vacation over two hotels and only have Express for half of it. But we still have pretty much ease of touring, mostly because nearly all the major attractions have single rider lines that are a godsend. And Universal employees do a great job of moving people through the single lines. That's in contradiction to WDW that has very few single rider attractions and the employees almost ignore you in the single rider lines that move slow as molasses.

Yes...When I started long vacations at Universal back in 2011, even though there were only 3 hotels on site, I could book rooms, and get my choice, two weeks before I visited. It was that way for a couple of years. But once Diagon opened, even though CBBR and it's many rooms were added to the mix, I found I needed to book about 6 months in advance to get a good room choice. Since then they've added Sapphire & Aventura and rooms still go fast. At one of the quarterly conferences, Comcast/Universal Execs. stated they averaged 90% plus occupancy of their on site Orlando resort hotels. Also, when talking to other visitors and hotel employees, my long vacations were a bit of a rarity back in 2011, 2012 and 2013. Now I routinely run into tourists whose stays are long like mine. ...And yes, the Universal parks are still manageable. Sometimes we'll split a vacation over two hotels and only have Express for half of it. But we still have pretty much ease of touring, mostly because nearly all the major attractions have single rider lines that are a godsend. And Universal employees do a great job of moving people through the single lines. That's in contradiction to WDW that has very few single rider attractions and the employees almost ignore you in the single rider lines that move slow as molasses.

Yep, you are following where I am coming from. We talk to other guest at the hotels (and many employees) during our stays (or notice the different accents and languages being spoken.

I can buy that marketing is comfortable that they have a good balance of hotel occupancy (I assume this equates to better average guest spend) along with park capacity to where folks find the vacation a good value and a pleasant (stress free) break from reality.