Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Universal's New Park/Site B Blue Sky Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which is a sign isn’t it ??? I mean is this franchise really as popular as HP ??? A dedicated world at UFW it’s not deserving of but a mini land I’ll be fine with.

I agree. FB isn't as popular as HP proper, but that doesn't mean it's not popular enough to make a great land/attractions around it. While FB 2 was considered a disappointment at the Box Office, it was still in the top 10 worldwide grossing movies of the year in 2018. FB 1 was also in the top 10 world wide for 2016. So while not as big as HP, we still need to keep it in overall perspective. It's still quite popular.

Also, there is definitely synergies to be had as well between the moves and theme park.

I knew very little about Harry Potter the first time I visited Hogsmeade in IOA other than the general idea of what Harry Potter was. But after that first visit and how spectacular it was, it turned me into a fan to which I went out and saw all the movies and subsequently read all of the books. I'm sure that can be said about many other people as well. The same can further apply to the FB series. Those who have never seen it can be further drawn to it after a great park experience.

An FB land will be a decent draw still IMO. I doubt there is a single Potter fan out there, who despite perhaps not liking the new FB series would still want to come see/experience this land based on how good Universal is at building their lands. And on the flip side it has the potential to create new fans if they make the world truly incredible like Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley.

I agree. FB isn't as popular as HP proper, but that doesn't mean it's not popular enough to make a great land/attractions around it. While FB 2 was considered a disappointment at the Box Office, it was still in the top 10 worldwide grossing movies of the year in 2018. FB 1 was also in the top 10 world wide for 2016. So while not as big as HP, we still need to keep it in overall perspective. It's still quite popular.

Also, there is definitely synergies to be had as well between the moves and theme park.

I knew very little about Harry Potter the first time I visited Hogsmeade in IOA other than the general idea of what Harry Potter was. But after that first visit and how spectacular it was, it turned me into a fan to which I went out and saw all the movies and subsequently read all of the books. I'm sure that can be said about many other people as well. The same can further apply to the FB series. Those who have never seen it can be further drawn to it after a great park experience.

An FB land will be a decent draw still IMO. I doubt there is a single Potter fan out there, who despite perhaps not liking the new FB series would still want to come see/experience this land based on how good Universal is at building their lands. And on the flip side it has the potential to create new fans if they make the world truly incredible like Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley.
Your right and maybe I’m being extremely biased about FB. But I guess we will have to see how big its presence is at the new park if it comes.

If FB does not come to the new park then WB May have won the case over Universal to not use Fantastic Worlds as it’s new 4th park name. When will this case be officially settled anyway once and for all? I mean us knowing FW will not be in the running for a new choice at all? I guess they are trying to keep this case secret because I try searching online and try finding an update that this matter and I have had no luck so it must be serious. How do we know if the document Alicia shared is 100% accurate? I mean by looking at the pics from the doc it looks 100% real to me. They name Dennis Spiegel a theme park expert according to the link I posted in my previous post. I’m not saying you guys aren’t experts because you are too. But again counting from October 2017 which that document was released I mean I doubt it but when he says within 18 months that could be this month I mean we did hear the name Fantastic Worlds. So that’s a start. But the official park name? Come April 2019 we have gotten to our 18th month counting from Oct 2017 so is that when the big big news will come?

Last edited:
So I've been pondering the Fantastic Beasts land, and how more and more it sounds like a bad idea. While I think there can be good rides based off of it, I still don't think the overall world or saga connects with people. I think a ride through Newt's suitcase could still do gangbusters. But what do people love most about Potter? The school. Send them back to the school. So if I was building a Potter land for FW, I would build...

The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Across the Pond
  • Subland A: Wizarding New York
    • This land would be the "Fantastic Beasts" portion of the experience. It would be themed similar to the first Fantastic Beasts film. Jacob's bakery would be here, as well as the Wizard Speakeasy bar. The main ride would be a ride based around Newt trying to get his case back from the MCUSA. We'd tour MCUSA in the queue before jumping in a ride vehicle. We'd tour some more of the restricted wings of MCUSA in search of the case, before escaping with it. The ride ends with a tour through the case.
  • Subland B: Ilvermorny School
    • In the forests of New England, a granite castle stands. This is Ilvermorny, the American School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Here we would have a small village around the school featuring American Wizarding Goods and the like. In the woods, a small walkthrough attraction featuring American Magical Creatures would take place. The school's "great hall" would be the land's main restaurant. The main ride would be a thrilling dark ride through the school during a Death Eater attack. Why would Death Eaters be attacking Ilvermorny? Well because that's where Salazar Slytherin's wand is buried!
I realize this won't happen, but I think it could be the best of both worlds. Still features FB stuff as I'm sure WB wants that to be featured, but also gives half of the world a more "original" feel, and features a location we'd probably never see otherwise.

aaaaaaaaaaand boner.

Not to mention it would be kind of strange if Dennis speigel is correct about his thoughts about an announcement of a new park in 18 months that we indeed here a new name for the park before Bourne opens and before The JP coaster comes along with a possible future update to the land.

Yeah, I can't imagine a scenario where they don't have the most popular drink in theme park history in the new park, so there has to be some sort of wizarding area.

The Paris scenes from the new movie seemed to be very fitting for a theme park environment. The Circus Arcanus would make a great Carkitt Market type area. The Paris MOM would be a great queue scene leading to a ride involving the moving cabinets.

Of course Kowalski's is a no brainer for a food and beverage location, but thats NY. They could do the Newt's case ride based there as well.

Now does FB's popularity or lack thereof justify a presence in the new park, let alone two (mini?) lands? Thats another question completely.

Just would like to note that the FB series is not done. Although I wasn't really a fan of either of the first two movies, there is a whole world they are developing in the films. With the last one not set to be released til 2025 maybe 2024, there will be multiple lands they would have shown in the five films by the time this new park will be open. Besides, its a World of Magic, with creatures that could be the best animatronics ever made, multiple lands in several countries, and in a background of three decades and war. They don't need Potter to sale this land. They just need magic. Potter brought the crowds, but it was the immersion and interactivity that made non-Harry potter fans enjoy the land, leaving satisfied. SNW will bring in the customers for this new park and they will be able to experience this world of magic as a bonus. I honestly think that this land and the monsters land could possibly be the best lands, not because they will be better than the others, but because they are going to surprise everyone.

I’m willing to bet the world will be like Pandora, in that even if the movies aren’t that beloved or critically acclaimed, the land should be able to justify its existence on its own.

Because the Wizarding World, Potter or not, it will always be Universal’s biggest draw, as it’s the franchise that made the resort what it is today.

Because the Wizarding World, Potter or not, it will always be Universal’s biggest draw, as it’s the franchise that made the resort what it is today.

Oh, Potter most definitely turned Universal around. I have a good feeling that Nintendo will be a larger draw, though - as popular as Potter is, I think Nintendo may still have him beat.

Who knows...Maybe Universal will catch lightning twice.

I think, quality-wise, Nintendo will be Potter's equal. I just don't think there's the rabid desire behind a Nintendoland like there was for a Potterland at the height of Potter's popularity. I hope for Universal that it's there, but either way I think it's going to be huge.

Honestly, I see at most two attractions: Ministry, and something else.

Similar to Diagon, albeit; but with differences in offerings around the entire area, interactive points, shopping/dining, and what-not.

If anything, I almost expect them to go similar to the lengths of Carkitt Market; fleshing something out to stand on it's own, and add to the Potter universe. Because, unlike Diagon and Hogsmeade..there isn't a defined location that they have to adhere towards. Even if it's like Paris, or New York; they can take it and do something that is completely unique and stands out.

A few weeks ago I had an idea that they could build a mini-land around the rumored ministry attraction on the back side of the hub where it could take the place of a traditional park icon.

I really doubt how much demand there is for a large FB world, even just going by how much Nintendo gets discussed on this site versus FB.

Status
Not open for further replies.