Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Fast & Furious: Supercharged - General Discussion

2014: Diagon (Gringotts and HE)
2015: Cleaning, loss of Twister, Beetlejuice, and Disaster
2016: Kong, Revamped Hulk, Sapphire
2017: Fallon, Volcano Bay, loss of Lagoon Show (Hurricane fastened the closure to happen)

And in 2018..

2018: Drupercharged, New Lagoon Show to replace previous, Adventura

And in 2019, sofar:

2019: Hogsmeade Coaster, Bourne, Surfside Resort.

It's not like we aren't getting anything at all.

The Media Event is on May 2nd.
I'm sure it seems that way if you're not actually going to the parks.

I'm sure it seems that way if you're not actually going to the parks.

I think you are sincerely over-estimating memory of guests.

Supercharged, regardless if you like it or not, is the big thing that Universal is marketing this year. And while I don't think it's wise, I'm more accepting it as an actual attraction, and to not ridicule it more than what quite a few others did.

From my perspective, as having spent about 35k on-site in the last 5 years, lost t2, disaster, beetlejuice, dragons, twister,night show....gained fallon. Yet to see ff. I am supposed to be thrilled? Gained kong too. Which is ok
But also gained Diagon/London/ HE /Gringotts (2014). That's just about worth a whole park there, so much quality.No land has yet to be finished that equals that...............Just to interject on F&F. I won't experience it for another 24 days, and from what I've read it doesn't sound too promising. Though, I'll make my personal determination at that time....BUT, what is kind of amazing to me is that EXPECTATIONS for this attraction were the lowest I've ever seen for an attraction. So, I'm somewhat confused by a lot of the comments since I kind of thought we had become impervious to this & had accepted it to be a mediocre attraction. Is F&F actually worse than we expected? The added scenes at the beginning seem to be above what anyone expected. Or, perhaps we thought they would plus the 360 scene like they did with Kong. Evidently, the company that did that 360 scene is really at the core of this problem, since just about everyone, Hollywood & Orlando, considers it to be shoddy work. Or, are we ranting because we know UC is capable of better work.....Anyway, it's good to see that the forum discussion has had so much input. I've enjoyed reading everyone's comments, and it seems to have remained pretty civil for the most part. :thumbsup:

I think you are sincerely over-estimating memory of guests.

Supercharged, regardless if you like it or not, is the big thing that Universal is marketing this year. And while I don't think it's wise, I'm more accepting it as an actual attraction, and to not ridicule it more than what quite a few others did.

I really have no opinion of FF. Have not been on it yet. I have however been in that park extensively and know when I'm getting shorted on my money. Boots on the ground thing. For the week+ I'm there. Not a forum discussion of what may or may not be happening next year or in 5 years. Just a little perspective. It's all good.

I'm going out on a limb here to say the GSATs for this ride will also be terrible and not at all like Fallon's. Fallon was never pretending to be anything other than a D-ticket ride replacing the former space of a special effects show. The ride system and experience matches people's expectations and it matches the tone of the show. It's a ride based on a Late Night Show. No one is expecting the next great thing. This ride is called Fast & Furious and carries with it a huge amount of expectation from people who follow the films and don't closely follow the theme park industry. Apples to oranges.

If you follow the films, you know they aren't that great either. Just fun diversions. The tram version is the only one I have been on so far and it also is not great, but a fun diversion on a 40 minute tour of the backlot. Like Kong, making an entire ride out of it was a mistake, IMO.

And I don't think Test Track is all that great either. There is no way to make a live version ride reflecting the type of movies these are- with lots of explosions, car crashes, gun fights, bad acting etc. (actually they did re-create the bad acting parts, lol).

BUT, what is kind of amazing to me is that EXPECTATIONS for this attraction were the lowest I've ever seen for an attraction. So, I'm somewhat confused by a lot of the comments since I kind of thought we had become impervious to this & had accepted it to be a mediocre attraction. Is F&F actually worse than we expected?
It's pretty much exactly what I was expecting. Did not exceed my expectations, but wasn't any worse than I was expecting either. I like new things. It's new. I had fun. And it was fun seeing everyone else experiencing it for the first time around me on my subsequent rides.

The 360 scene is goofy and absurd, just like the movies. (I mean it starts with Shaw coming out and shooting at us with a freakin' flame thrower and just gets crazier from there!) It made me smile how absurd it is. The beginning tunnel thing was cool and the decorated show scene before the musion looks great... But I expected something to be added, so yea, exactly met my low expectations. I was not at all let down.

We all had a pretty good idea what to expect. It's not the best ride in the park, probably like 3rd worst in fact, maybe 2nd. I like it more than Fear Factor, Shrek, and even Fallon (minus the Ragtime Gals,) and I'll probably go on it every visit like I do Transformers. (As long as single rider is short.) No reason to complain, I've already said my peace over the last couple years leading up to this moment. :)

But also gained Diagon/London/ HE /Gringotts (2014). That's just about worth a whole park there, so much quality.No land has yet to be finished that equals that...............Just to interject on F&F. I won't experience it for another 24 days, and from what I've read it doesn't sound too promising. Though, I'll make my personal determination at that time....BUT, what is kind of amazing to me is that EXPECTATIONS for this attraction were the lowest I've ever seen for an attraction. So, I'm somewhat confused by a lot of the comments since I kind of thought we had become impervious to this & had accepted it to be a mediocre attraction. Is F&F actually worse than we expected? The added scenes at the beginning seem to be above what anyone expected. Or, perhaps we thought they would plus the 360 scene like they did with Kong. Evidently, the company that did that 360 scene is really at the core of this problem, since just about everyone, Hollywood & Orlando, considers it to be shoddy work. Or, are we ranting because we know UC is capable of better work.....Anyway, it's good to see that the forum discussion has had so much input. I've enjoyed reading everyone's comments, and it seems to have remained pretty civil for the most part. :thumbsup:

F&F has turned into this forum’s punching bag. Everybody has got their nasty thoughts out and the forum will be better for it.

It’s now onwards and upwards.

most folks that are commenting negatively on social media are not what I'd consider the "general public".

The general public don't follow theme park social media accounts, and probably have no idea a Fast and Furious ride just opened, unless they maybe saw a commercial on TV.

Plus, more people will complain than post positive comments. That's usually the case for most things.

Wonder if the lack of 3D hurt of helped visually? I mean its garbage but did the 3D make it look any better (or effective)

There is absolutely nothing that suggests they will turn out like Fallon's other than you saying so but fair enough. Apparently you think the general public is under some sort of mind control that prevents them from being able to be disappointed by a theme park attraction. Mind you, Kong's GSATs weren't that great even though I and many others love that ride. Why would it follow that F&F would suddenly have good GSATs when this is shorter, has no AA, and has a ride title that is counter-intuitive to expectations?

I have not experienced the yet. I never expected to like it as I do not care for the IP. I know I have said the GP will probably like it just because they seem to like the 360 tech. Sometimes (in my eyes) I feel you need to step back and view the park as a first time visitor or as a family. So here is a ride that most can ride...folks that are scared off if they see coaster tracks....I do not know. I do not know a lot about Twitter and such. I do know that UNI has some AP group. Anyway, I am not sure if the reviews right now are mainly passholders and such, but I would not consider frequent guest as the 'GP' that make up the growth that UNI has been experiencing in attendance over these last 3 years or so, but hey, depending on how they tour the park, they very well could be burnt on screenz by the time they get over to F&F.

Back when I heard this was coming, I assumed the ride was more for a different crowd then the thrill ride seekers...my thoughts on this come from the International numbers the F&F franchise gets at the box office.

Anyway, I'm really not trying to defend UNI here, but I'm just trying to paint a picture of what could have happened....the pipe line from green lit until opening seems like it is measured in years. They knew they needed to prepare for the attendance #'s they were projecting as they were adding rooms...planning an on site Water Park...they were probably told to port this over to speed up the timeline of getting stuff in the parks for people to do...as they were working on it, the 'screenz' backlash started, but around here, it seemed to be more about 3D glasses...so they dropped the 3D.

From all accounts, it sounds like their is a practical set that folks like, so that and the queue are where the budget for this ride went. Comcast may be investing, that does not mean no limits.

Anyway, my views are skewed by too many years working in Corp America, but I just wanted to offer some thoughts on how stuff like this happens at many companies.

I think it is great if UNI hears a lot of backlash for this one as hopefully it takes them on the path that folks around here make it sound like they decided already, and that is to stop making all these simulators and all screenz attractions.

The thing that bothers me is when one person spams this forum by replying to every single negative post to tell that person why they are wrong. THAT is what causes people to feel like its beating a dead horse. When you have ONE PERSON going back and forth with 5 other people and they all keep saying the same things over and over. The "I am never wrong" attitude takes away from the enjoyment of this forum. This is the reason why we had to have the "screenz" thread, which I also thought was crazy.

The thing that bothers me is when one person spams this forum by replying to every single negative post to tell that person why they are wrong. THAT is what causes people to feel like its beating a dead horse. When you have ONE PERSON going back and forth with 5 other people and they all keep saying the same things over and over. The "I am never wrong" attitude takes away from the enjoyment of this forum. This is the reason why we had to have the "screenz" thread, which I also thought was crazy.

But is it ok to post negative things over and over just because it aligns with your POV? You need to take your personal feelings towards the user out of it. The Screenz thread was not created due to one user’s opinion..

I was just reviewing the Orlando Facebook community thread on OI. Unscientific of course, but there was a good number of people commenting that have rode it so far. Basically it seems more than half the respondents were meh on the ride. And the other half were just about equally divided on the ones who liked it vs. the ones who hated it. I'm going to check back on it to see if any trends develop. Just for comparison's sake I do recall, when OI was a forum instead of a Facebook community, that respondents were pretty negative on Gringotts for the first few months it was open. OI's Facebook community is huge, so there just might be a lot of F&F comments pop up in the next couple of weeks.....

Last edited:
I was just reviewing the Orlando Facebook community thread on OI. Unscientific of course, but there was a good number of people commenting that have rode it so far. Basically it seems more than half the respondents were meh on the ride. And the other half were just about equally divided on the ones who liked it vs. the ones who hated it. I'm going to check back on it to see if any trends develop. Just for comparison's sake I do recall, when OI was a forum instead of a Facebook community, that respondents were pretty negative on Gringotts for the first few months it was open. OI's Facebook community is huge, so there just might be a lot of F&F comments pop up in the next couple of weeks.....
Man, I remember how that #PotterWatch period ended on OI. Pretty sure people came around by the end though. Now I miss those forums :sadwave:

Man, I remember how that #PotterWatch period ended on OI. Pretty sure people came around by the end though. Now I miss those forums :sadwave:
Yes, the early comments & reviews were pretty brutal, for the most part. After a few months it settled down and nearly everything switched from negative dominated comments to positive comments. It seems like the OI community has mellowed since it became a much more inclusive and tremendously larger community on Facebook. It's probably more GP composed now than previously. So, it's kind of a good cross section of opinions to look at. The people are somewhat theme park knowledgeable, but not hard core, and generally wait to give opinions until they've experienced attractions instead of basing it on a POV they watched on the internet.