Attendance Tracker | Page 24 | Inside Universal Forums

Attendance Tracker

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I think it has a lot to do with people realizing they don't need Disney at all to have a good vacation in Orlando anymore. The other options are no longer a side item to Disney and can be a vacation in themselves. Universal especially with the new hotels and water park can take up a few days and sea world even with their problems is a really compelling addition for the value. No one is going to add a Disney day for a $165 park hopper and not as many with the variable single park pricing.
Ouch, but I have to agree that Orlando is a shared market today.... when I was child a trip to Orlando was referred as "Going to Disney".... I don't think that's the case anymore, I'm pretty sure many people are referring to their Orlando trip as "Going to Universal" too.

Reactions: Mad Dog
It doesn't surprise me. Look at the IP lineups. Until Star Wars comes around, Disney really hasn't built anything for the millennial generation.

I think staying on property makes an ENORMOUS difference in the experience, IMO. Not saying you can't have a good time staying off property, but I always recommend to friends and family that they stay on property at Universal and at Disney.
Yep, staying on property at Universal is a special experience. What really accentuated that thought for me was when I stayed on Disney property during last Fall's vacation. I missed Universal so much I made two unscheduled day trips. They were fun, but nowhere the special experience of staying on site at Universal for the vacation.... Now, vacationing at Disney doesn't really seem to matter whether you stay on site or not. There's not much special feeling to being on site at WDW since everything is a long travel distance away, and their hotel resorts aren't as good as Universal's for the money charged.

Yep, staying on property at Universal is a special experience. What really accentuated that thought for me was when I stayed on Disney property during last Fall's vacation. I missed Universal so much I made two unscheduled day trips. They were fun, but nowhere the special experience of staying on site at Universal for the vacation.... Now, vacationing at Disney doesn't really seem to matter whether you stay on site or not. There's not much special feeling to being on site at WDW since everything is a long travel distance away, and their hotel resorts aren't as good as Universal's for the money charged.

Why you hating on Disney for Mad Dog?

Why you hating on Disney for Mad Dog?
Actually I like WDW. Otherwise I wouldn't spend two weeks vacationing there at times. What I don't like is their management philosophy, which has caused a deterioration in the Disney experience. But, though I like WDW and enjoy it, I find that, for me, the Universal on site vacation experience is superior. Universal on site is relaxing, leisurely, good hotel resort value, Express passes for the Deluxe resorts, easy walking or boat transportation to the Parks & CitiWalk, attractions that better reflect my tastes, and constant new attractions. While I have fun on my Disney vacations, and I do enjoy all four parks & two water parks, I find it hard to relax due to the constant traveling, ridiculous amount of planning you need to do for parks, rides & meals, even though I stay on site. So I return from my vacation tired and worn out, whereas I'm renewed when I return from a Universal vacation. Also, I'm constantly disturbed at the really poor value of the Disney resorts when you compare cost & amenities to Universal. Bottom line: I like Disney. I love Universal.

Actually I like WDW. Otherwise I wouldn't spend two weeks vacationing there at times. What I don't like is their management philosophy, which has caused a deterioration in the Disney experience. But, though I like WDW and enjoy it, I find that, for me, the Universal on site vacation experience is superior. Universal on site is relaxing, leisurely, good hotel resort value, Express passes for the Deluxe resorts, easy walking or boat transportation to the Parks & CitiWalk, attractions that better reflect my tastes, and constant new attractions. While I have fun on my Disney vacations, and I do enjoy all four parks & two water parks, I find it hard to relax due to the constant traveling, ridiculous amount of planning you need to do for parks, rides & meals, even though I stay on site. So I return from my vacation tired and worn out, whereas I'm renewed when I return from a Universal vacation. Also, I'm constantly disturbed at the really poor value of the Disney resorts when you compare cost & amenities to Universal. Bottom line: I like Disney. I love Universal.

Good answer, so I guess I'll be seeing you in September for HHN at Universal :cheers:

Reactions: Mad Dog
What I find interesting is that the "Disney Kids" from the '70s-'89 are preferring the Universal product to the modern Disney product. I find more "Disney Magic" at UOR than at Disney's Magic Kingdom.

Disney taught me EVERYTHING I know about themed entertainment and destination theme park resort vacations and in Florida, Universal is kicking their ass.

My ranking of the destination theme park resorts goes:

1. DLR
2. UOR
3. WDW
4. Cedar Point

I posted this elsewhere, but it has particular bearing here. I looked up availability for a two night stay at WDW this Saturday and Sunday. All hotels were available.
For Universal, even if their attendance is flat for the summer up to two weeks ago, now with Sapphire on line & the other 4 hotels apparently filled to the max, revenue may increase decently since Universal makes a lot more money from people that stay on site than they do from local & Disney day trippers. So it's going to be interesting to see what the revenue percentages are once the third quarter (July, August, Sept.) fiscal results are in when it's published in November.

Reactions: Galaxy Defender
For Universal, even if their attendance is flat for the summer up to two weeks ago, now with Sapphire on line & the other 4 hotels apparently filled to the max, revenue may increase decently since Universal makes a lot more money from people that stay on site than they do from local & Disney day trippers. So it's going to be interesting to see what the revenue percentages are once the third quarter (July, August, Sept.) fiscal results are in when it's published in November.
Considering the market conditions, Universal is having a good summer.

One thing to remember. Disney implemented an aggressive pricing structure that encourages non peak travel. While everyone has been breathless at the results. Disney, while panicking, is in a wait and see mode. Their plan to shift guests to the non peak season actually seems to be working. Fall reservations are not only strong, but possibly problematic. F&W was maxed as is, and MNSSHP has already added days over last year and is selling really strong.

Departments at TDO are truly running around like chickens with their heads cut off. Half are popping themselves. Others are just passing out resumes.

One thing to remember. Disney implemented an aggressive pricing structure that encourages non peak travel. While everyone has been breathless at the results. Disney, while panicking, is in a wait and see mode. Their plan to shift guests to the non peak season actually seems to be working. Fall reservations are not only strong, but possibly problematic. F&W was maxed as is, and MNSSHP has already added days over last year and is selling really strong.

Departments at TDO are truly running around like chickens with their heads cut off. Half are popping themselves. Others are just passing out resumes.
Universal has also introduced the variable pricing structure. But it mainly changes single say ticket prices, right? Would this really have that much of an effect on summer park attendance?

Yeah, I see that. When I went to Disney for two weeks in Oct. 2015 rooms were scarce and the parks over crowded. It was like summer, only it had good Fall weather.

I pretty much stopped going to Orlando during summer years ago.
I can understand that. I would never go to Orlando in the summer. Too much hot rainy humid miserable uncomfortable weather. Not to mention overcrowded parks and over priced hotels....... Late April, May, late Sept.,October...that's me.