Cat in the Hat Not Spinning? | Page 4 | Inside Universal Forums

Cat in the Hat Not Spinning?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
LOL I waited the whole ride for it to spin, I was totally confused. I'm going to guess somebody got hurt, or almost got hurt. That's their #1 concern. Its the reason they drastically raised the height requirement for the trolley train.

I didn't miss the spinning. In a perfect world, we could choose spinning or non-spinning. But I'd rather not have it, and truly have a family-friendly ride for all. Disney does soooo well with these that Universal needs to show that they can do it too. I wish the Lorax ride would come to fruition.

It was spinning again yesterday, but in a much more leisurely manner. A lot less torque to the motions, but there are still a few 360 rotations. At the very least you get to face the scenes again. I think it is a good compromise.

It was spinning again yesterday, but in a much more leisurely manner. A lot less torque to the motions, but there are still a few 360 rotations. At the very least you get to face the scenes again. I think it is a good compromise.

YESSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!! This makes me unbelievably happy, knowing that the ride at least makes sense now. :smiley:

So, according to Twitter, it would seem this ride is apparently spinning at full power again- can anybody confirm this (I've not been there in a week)? That would be a nice thing if it were, as the ride really doesn't look very good if you're given sufficient time to look at every detail (or lack thereof)...

I find it fascinating to see the resort as a whole reexamine earlier decisions... and change course. The height change is almost a no brainer in hindsight... but only hindsight. The intensity of the spin was a total surprise to me years ago.

We were on it twice last week. As the other poster stated, it was spinning, but in a lesser spin than we had experienced in previous visits.

The ride now has a 36" height minimum, where there used to be no height restrictions. A TM told me too many young kids were being "lifted" during the spins. The spinning has NOT been fully restored, it is the same toned down movement it has had for a couple months.

Here's a thought... They have 28 RVs. Is it possible that they didn't reprofile all of them, and one with an old profile was unintentionally put on the track during operating hours?

It seems to me that the Seuss area needs a bit of a refurb. Only two of the four attractions are rideable by the whole family. 50% is a generous batting average for a standard theme park land, but IOA doesn't have a lot for the little ones, and the Seuss area should be a safe haven for them.
Honestly, if they could redo the ride vehicles for the Trolley and make the spinning on Cat in the Hat ride optional like Antarctica, I feel that the area would be completely family friendly without suffering in enjoyability for the taller crowd.

Isn't height restriction based on seats and restraints rather than motion, though? :shrug:

To some extent, yes, but if that was always the case, rides like Magnum XL-200 at Cedar Point would have the same height restiction as Hippogriff, as both rides use a single lapbar as their primary restraints.

....that awkward moment when you realize the upcoming Kong E-ticket will have a lower height requirement than Cat in the Hat or Seuss Trolley :inquisitive:

....that awkward moment when you realize the upcoming Kong E-ticket will have a lower height requirement than Cat in the Hat or Seuss Trolley :inquisitive:

For trolley with the individual lap bars there is no choice. The manufacturer gives a "suggestion" but if you choose to go lower then that suggestion how do you defend that decision in court when a kid gets hurt? (And it doesn't have to be hurt because they got out. Kid gets hurt by hitting his head, lawyer will make the argument it's Universals fault, kid shouldn't have been there, ride wasn't designed for them)

And for Cat basically this is a direct result of parents not being able to control their children.

For trolley with the individual lap bars there is no choice. The manufacturer gives a "suggestion" but if you choose to go lower then that suggestion how do you defend that decision in court when a kid gets hurt? (And it doesn't have to be hurt because they got out. Kid gets hurt by hitting his head, lawyer will make the argument it's Universals fault, kid shouldn't have been there, ride wasn't designed for them)

And for Cat basically this is a direct result of parents not being able to control their children.

the Seuss Trolley could get a different ride vehicle. I'd prefer one that's fully enclosed with glass windows since the ride already goes 2 mph :lol: it's boring enough that little kids should be able to ride it. 40" is far too high for a PeopleMover-esque attraction.

Cat has no excuse. Get rid of the beloved spinning if that means families get a dark ride everyone can enjoy. Seuss is the last place where a dark ride should have a 36" height requirement (although I'd want 38"-40" for a Grinch coaster). Trolley at 34", Cat with no spinning has no height requirement, and all is well

the Seuss Trolley could get a different ride vehicle. I'd prefer one that's fully enclosed with glass windows since the ride already goes 2 mph :lol: it's boring enough that little kids should be able to ride it. 40" is far too high for a PeopleMover-esque attraction.

Cat has no excuse. Get rid of the beloved spinning if that means families get a dark ride everyone can enjoy. Seuss is the last place where a dark ride should have a 36" height requirement (although I'd want 38"-40" for a Grinch coaster). Trolley at 34", Cat with no spinning has no height requirement, and all is well

I agree with this. There are ways to avoid the height requirements without being unsafe, even if it means changing the dynamic of the rides. It's unfair that the kids-oriented rides have height requirements and that most of the restriction-free rides are either loud/intense or cheap carnival flats. Universal can do better...

You have no idea how many times I've ridden this ride where a parent decides to put her kid over the net and the ride E stops

It's all kinds of fun:
Kids over the nets, lap sitting, kids standing up (with or without the parent holding them around the waist), pre-teens/teenagers thinking it's cool to reach out and try and grab things, pre-teens/teenagers thinking it's cool to jump get out from the lap bar, adults trying to retrieve things (sometimes they belong to the person, sometimes the person just really liked it)

For the idea of getting rid of the spin I'm going to point out how this thread started "I had a bad experience on Cat in the Hat today. The whole ride, my car didn't spin even once." The ride is designed around the spin. In fact the show quality is really really bad without the spin.

Something many of you who are newer to following UO may not recall is that Audrey Geisel was arguably a bigger control freak then WB/JK. When they have stopped/lowered the spinning they have done so as a safety initiative, which they are allowed to do. But they always have to work to bring the spin back. That is part of the approved ride.

For Seuss Trolley, you want to fully enclose a ride vehicle in glass and send it out into the Florida sun. The ride is designed to be open, again its an Audrey Geisel thing. She want's kids to be able to experience and interact, not look from behind glass. Obviously you can only do so much interaction with a moving vehicle, but that is why most of the sets at CITH and ST are close and in your face.

Reactions: JungleSkip
the Peoplemover does a good job of being open-air and not having a height requirement. I dont know how practical it would be to redesign the seats on the trolley but considering you arent tall enough to ride the kid-oriented nursery-rhyming ride until you are tall enough for Spiderman, Transformers, Men in Black, and the Simpsons is kinda outrageous.

Also, Cat in the Hat can maintain spinning without being restrictive. It doesnt need to be violent.