CityWalk Expansion | Page 22 | Inside Universal Forums

CityWalk Expansion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Which new venue are you looking forward to?

• Total voters
Is that a Wicked reference?

41Hpx2p7sGL._SY300_.jpg

Yeah, in Raleigh, NC at one of their other locations the walls are lined with posters of parody artwork that includes the Cowfish logo. So to everyone who jumped on you for being crazy, he's not. Nice one, though, I never noticed it was present until now.

Cold Stone is now open!

Score one for CityWalk today.

These pics are from yesterday... I wish Cold Stone would have been open then, but alas... Next trip it will be! :thumbs:

IMG_0979_zps1cd2ff0f.jpg

IMG_0983_zps78f2ddd7.jpg

IMG_0984_zps14de32ad.jpg

IMG_0986_zps695d6b94.jpg

IMG_0987_zps488c6c37.jpg

IMG_0989_zpsa13988e4.jpg

IMG_0991_zps00d2878b.jpg

IMG_0992_zpsc973b1ce.jpg

IMG_0995_zpsa1f841f5.jpg

IMG_1000_zps23a1d80c.jpg

IMG_1003_zpsd76221e6.jpg

IMG_1004_zps276e71db.jpg

IMG_1141_zps3307a7de.jpg

IMG_1149_zps595709c4.jpg

IMG_1148_zps4d6403ce.jpg

IMG_1151_zps99899819.jpg

IMG_1153_zps7bee163e.jpg

Word is Starbucks should open by the end of March or early April. And apparently, Hot Dog Hall of Fame should be right around that time, as well.

:cheers:

I was kinda wondering about this. They appear to be aligned with Tim Horton's (in or attached to the restaurant) in some parts of the country. That makes Coldstone appear somewhat pedestrian and less special.

Yeah they're all over the place...and very expensive for what is only okay ice cream. I wish they'd have gone a more unique route. An original Ice Cream shop would've been cool, or even a Haagen-Dazs.

I think having a Cold Stone, or any other ice cream shop, is great for both guests and Uni. I'm actually surprised something like it wasn't present in CityWalk before. For Florida, where it's hot pretty much year round, ice cream is a perfect snack, so this should be very popular and successful! :cheers:

I think having a Cold Stone, or any other ice cream shop, is great for both guests and Uni. I'm actually surprised something like it wasn't present in CityWalk before. For Florida, where it's hot pretty much year round, ice cream is a perfect snack, so this should be very popular and successful! :cheers:

This is a very good "on the other hand" point. I called it pedestrian forgetting that BK and Panda Xpress are nearby. Overall, an ice cream shop is a good thing.

Yeah they're all over the place...and very expensive for what is only okay ice cream. I wish they'd have gone a more unique route. An original Ice Cream shop would've been cool, or even a Haagen-Dazs.

Cold Stone has done a great job at establishing their brand. While you may think it's "only okay ice cream", the general public likes to think it's a lot better because of how it's presented to them. If they didn't make it on the titular cold stone, and didn't have the toppings displayed in full before guests, it would be just like any other ice cream place and not had nearly the same success. That's essentially what TCBY before it was--a basic ice cream shop where you ordered, they scooped what you wanted out, and you were done. Cold Stone also has a bit more repeatability factor, IMO, in that you're actually encouraged to mix and match different flavors, most of which are pretty original (I think birthday cake is one, for instance).

I personally tend to avoid ice cream because it's sugary and bad for you, but I can see how Cold Stone has managed to generate hype. In a place where your only other option is soft-serve or Dip N Dots, it's a pretty big deal. Not to mention, while it may be ordinary on its own, it acts wonderfully as a complement to a fun vacation.

Cold Stone has done a great job at establishing their brand. While you may think it's "only okay ice cream", the general public likes to think it's a lot better because of how it's presented to them. If they didn't make it on the titular cold stone, and didn't have the toppings displayed in full before guests, it would be just like any other ice cream place and not had nearly the same success. That's essentially what TCBY before it was--a basic ice cream shop where you ordered, they scooped what you wanted out, and you were done. Cold Stone also has a bit more repeatability factor, IMO, in that you're actually encouraged to mix and match different flavors, most of which are pretty original (I think birthday cake is one, for instance).

I personally tend to avoid ice cream because it's sugary and bad for you, but I can see how Cold Stone has managed to generate hype. In a place where your only other option is soft-serve or Dip N Dots, it's a pretty big deal. Not to mention, while it may be ordinary on its own, it acts wonderfully as a complement to a fun vacation.

I would agree with you but TCBY was pretty basic and not that great either (they've since jumped on the "healthy" FroYo bandwagon). And on top of that, TCBY was in possibly the worst location Citywalk has to offer.

Menchie's will do a LOT better than Cold Stone will. It's cheaper and more trendy. The general public have almost moved on from ice cream shops entirely save for your few novelty shops and DQs, etc. People will find it hard being on vacation and spending $35 on ice cream for a family of 4 when it should cost them under $15.

My point was that the space could've been better utilized than bringing in an overpriced chain to take up a storefront when they could've just as easily had a Haagen-Dazs or Ben & Jerry kiosk or better yet, something original, innovative and only available ON property.

I just didn't understand the hype around here and a bunch of other theme park forums as if people have never seen a Cold Stone before.

Now...a Gelato shop in Citywalk would've have a line out the door at all times. People go nuts for free samples, "premium" treats and something that "looks" like a more healthy alternative to ice cream. That's why the FroYo explosion happened.

Last edited:
Cold Stone doesn't have Italian-ice type ice cream, do they? That's one thing I'd really like, too... Maybe Vivo will have some? My favorite ice cream combination ever is dulce de leche ice cream and lemon Italian ice. Yum!

Cold Stone doesn't have Italian-ice type ice cream, do they? That's one thing I'd really like, too... Maybe Vivo will have some? My favorite ice cream combination ever is dulce de leche ice cream and lemon Italian ice. Yum!

No, it's literally a bunch of flavors you know (with a few custom flavors like Birthday Cake), mixed in with toppings on a cold marble stone and served in a cup for twice the amount of money of what it should cost. You get one scoop and a topping or two at a standalone store and you're at upwards of $7.50+. Don't know how it's priced at CityWalk.

Gelato or Water Ice is what they should have done...IMO.