Disney KiteTails - Discovery River Amphiteater | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

Disney KiteTails - Discovery River Amphiteater

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
We could make some fun out of this by trying to guess when the plug will be pulled on this :lol:

I've seen at least one bet going around that it wouldn't even make it to the weekend. Personal I think it's heavily modified by the end of next week and maybe gone before the end of October.

Reactions: GAcoaster
I've seen at least one bet going around that it wouldn't even make it to the weekend. Personal I think it's heavily modified by the end of next week and maybe gone before the end of October.
I think we’ll first see a reduction of hours, they’ll keep it for holidays, and then it disappears in January.

I’m probably being too kind.

The kites for Epcot Forever got ruined (thus them being pulled) for nose diving into the water too often so I imagine that has something to do with it.

When you stop a jet ski that has a kite on it, it’s going down quick, no time for backstage.

It just seems so un-Disney like to me to have all of that happen on stage. That’s why I’m wondering why they didn’t build staging in the back so that the jet skiers had the kites lifted in the air backstage and driven onto the river, then brought them backstage the same way and dropped them back down once they were backstage again.

Reactions: Clive
Retooled nighttime show “National Geographic Spectacular at Disneys Animal Kingdom”. Lean Into a theme of picture taking.
The National Geographic brand seems like such a no-brainer to use for something in this theater, but the problem is that NatGeo doesn't have one big IP that a lot of people know, so that means you're basically back to Rivers of Light where whatever show is all based on real animals, but you are just slapping the NatGeo name on the show now.

Idk, maybe there's a way to make it work. I guess my thing is the floating pageantry show didn't work, they can't do fireworks, this theater is incredibly hot during the day (so a daytime show won't work long term unless you cover the seating), etc.

I guess I feel like unless they build actual set pieces out in the water, thus creating another Harmonious situation, i'm not exactly sure what they have to work with here unless fireworks are permitted for a show. The jet skis actually aren't a all out bad idea - it reminds me of the old shows that were done at USF and IOA in their lagoons in a slight way, but they took the cheap way out by just using kites instead of doing a stunt show or something.

Reactions: UniversalRBLX
Retooled nighttime show “National Geographic Spectacular at Disneys Animal Kingdom”. Lean Into a theme of picture taking.
National Geographic would be a fantastic foundation for a lagoon show.

My initial idea was more an IP centric show where the more animal-based characters gathered around the “watering hole” to shoot the ish and sing songs with a more party-like atmosphere. And I’m thinking more deep cut, infrequently used characters and songs:

Alan-a-Dale (Robin Hood rooster) - “Whistle Stop”
Terk (Tarzan) - “Trashin’ the Camp”
Brother Bear - “Welcome”
Lion King 2 - “Upendi”
Mushu (Mulan) - “True to Your Heart”
Jungle Book - “Colonel Hathi’s March”
Then throw in some cameos from Nick and Judy (Zootopia), Sisu (Raya), Abominable Snowman (Monsters, Inc), Iago (Aladdin), and the like.

Suddenly, you have a unique show that hits the marketability quotient, is entirely upbeat, fun, and approachable, while remaining true to the park’s themes. Give it an original song, or use “Welcome” as a through-line because the lyrics are so on-the-nose for this sort of thing.

And, yes, I’d use Harmonious-like barges. And water screens. And River of Lights like boats. And KiteTails-like kites (that light up). It’s right there.

Big issue with jet skis are they didn’t install any way to break the waves in the lagoon. They need a foot of sloping rocks or such.

Reactions: Grabnar

My initial idea was more an IP centric show where the more animal-based characters gathered around the “watering hole” to shoot the ish and sing songs with a more party-like atmosphere. And I’m thinking more deep cut, infrequently used characters and songs:

Brother Bear - “Welcome”
Lion King 2 - “Upendi”
Then throw in some cameos from Nick and Judy (Zootopia), Sisu (Raya), Abominable Snowman (Monsters, Inc), Iago (Aladdin), and the like.

Suddenly, you have a unique show that hits the marketability quotient, is entirely upbeat, fun, and approachable, while remaining true to the park’s themes. Give it an original song, or use “Welcome” as a through-line because the lyrics are so on-the-nose for this sort of thing.

And, yes, I’d use Harmonious-like barges. And water screens. And River of Lights like boats. And KiteTails-like kites (that light up). It’s right there.
Aside from the knowing Disney would never use songs that most people don't know and just use the same songs as every other show, it sounds like a solid base. The problem is, I think DAK actually needs to invest more into the park as far as big ticket rides in order to have guests care to stay for a nighttime spectacular. Right now they aren't really doing much of anything in terms of investment into the park.

Reactions: Cheezbat

Brother Bear - “Welcome”
Lion King 2 - “Upendi”

That's a great show idea, Disney's Animal Gathering Nighttime Show at Animal Kingdom.

With the Nat Geo show you can jump between known animated segments and live animal footage plus things in the trees/stadium/in the air quite well. The central focus can be "the world is a snapshot away" or something with a focus on cameras and our safaris in the park that day. End of the show can lean into getting the guests to take photos of all the stuff around them.

This thing is just an embarrassment. Cancel it now.
77b463dd-9367-4488-8141-c6634146463a.jpg