Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry | Page 132 | Inside Universal Forums

Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Even with APs? I know Universal won't because I go there alot but Disney hasn't had an off season in what 3+ years?
I mean yes, many wont be traveling by air but sure Ap's and local's will be wanting to go...but maybe that's just me being crazy and think Disney can do no wrong when people praise "meh" things like Pixar pier.

How do they deal with the mazes being just one long line...I can't remember the last time I went in a Universal maze and could just walk into an empty room, its always just one long line of people throughout the entire thing

these are difficult times. a HHN with actors behind glass is one solution.

It partially solves a problem. While, yes, the strobe environment and use of triggers by the actors is a big part of going through a house, the "near-miss" scare, which is utilized a lot in the houses, wouldn't be able to be used. What do I mean? A "near miss" scare is when a scareactor pops out (hopefully while you are distracted by either the trigger or another scareactor) and pops in and pops out of your walking space. If done right, it's a very effective scare that (depending on the guest) briefly stuns then or will make them scream/run.

Also, triggers aren't a scare. Triggers are there either as a lighting effect/sound queue that the actor mouths words to or its there as a sound queue that is meant to distract guests from something happening elsewhere in the house. An asylum type house could maybe be cool with Plexiglass, but everything else would be REAL rough and a real lack of scares, probably puppets used as a primary scare.

That actually is a workable solution for mazes. They could have plexiglass walls throughout and use lighting to make them semi-opaque. The actors could still do jump scares by slamming their hands or props into the plexiglass without any risk of cross contamination with guests.
I get that but while that works for the actors what about people in the mazes? Once again never been to a HHN in ten years that didn't have just a line of people..unless it was like 2 AM or like from rumors I've heard November 1st isn't bad

But in General how do you let people in? One by one and you wait until they are 40 Plus seconds in? Just normally your packed in so tight and not anywhere close to 6 feet apart.

Even with APs? I know Universal won't because I go there alot but Disney hasn't had an off season in what 3+ years?
I mean yes, many wont be traveling by air but sure Ap's and local's will be wanting to go...but maybe that's just me being crazy and think Disney can do no wrong when people praise "meh" things like Pixar pier.

Yes. I think you're overestimating the AP attendance. Quick google search saw only 11% of Cali residents want shelter-in-place to end. Let's say Disneyland opens up in mid-June, and that poll gets to 20%... that leaves 80% of Cali residents who possibly have an AP who does not want to go out unnecessarily. Even if Disney opens up with a vaccine, crowds will be soft for the next year. It'll steadily rise, but the initial openings will be very slow.

Yes. I think you're overestimating the AP attendance. Quick google search saw only 11% of Cali residents want shelter-in-place to end. Let's say Disneyland opens up in mid-June, and that poll gets to 20%... that leaves 80% of Cali residents who possibly have an AP who does not want to go out unnecessarily. Even if Disney opens up with a vaccine, crowds will be soft for the next year. It'll steadily rise, but the initial openings will be very slow.
It will be interesting to see. Polls can indicate trends but many also lie if they think they will be judged for saying the wrong answer.
So we will, I just have less faith in people in the state to stay home past the 4th of July. The beaches being packed when they were open shows people are ready to be outside and do something.
Universal on the other hand...I'm excited for kinda....Nintendoland might only get medium crowds it first year now.

It will be interesting to see. Polls can indicate trends but many also lie if they think they will be judged for saying the wrong answer.
So we will, I just have less faith in people in the state to stay home past the 4th of July. The beaches being packed when they were open shows people are ready to be outside and do something.
Universal on the other hand...I'm excited for kinda....Nintendoland might only get medium crowds it first year now.
All this will be behind us 4 years from now. Different procedures but people will be out and traveling.

Reactions: n i c k and Frogki

Good point but you're also forgetting that the hardcore Disney AP fan base are crazy and for lack of a better term, pixie junkies.

Edit: Looking up the term 'pixie junkie' leads to a pinterest page that seems to be full of Karen hairstyles, so that doesn't bode well for Disneyland not being a wild reopeneing.

• Haha
Reactions: tielo
Good point but you're also forgetting that the hardcore Disney AP fan base are crazy and for lack of a better term, pixie junkies.

I think we tend to overestimate how many of these kinds of people there are being in the fan community.

The realistic view on the parks:
-Most people have cancelled any and all summer vacation plans already this summer. Some might end up rebooking, but most won't.
-The majority (60%+) say they will not be comfortable flying for about 6 months after getting the all clear. I've read that also means those people won't even be *booking* flights for 6 months. Meaning even if bookings improve around Oct/Nov, people actually traveling will take longer to actually get down to Orlando.
-This doesn't take into effect any travel restrictions that may continue through the summer, or new ones that may be added (especially for Brazil who look like they're on a runaway train)
-Local APs don't spend as much as vacationers, so even the low crowds they will be getting won't be spending.

Basically I think by Christmas we might have days we would look at as "slow" or maybe "normal" in the pre COVID days, barring any kind of massive second wave in the fall. Maybe by Christmas 2021 we might get back to normal, depending on a vaccine and how the economy bounces back.

I think the opening day will be crowded. After that I think we’re talking closer to a ghost town than not.
I'd agree with that. Though with the capacity limits they'll have I'm not sure how "crowded" it will be.

If anything I think Disney and Uni would probably do their best not to have a scene like the last night of MK being open. That kind of crowding would probably turn potential vacationers off even more

I'd agree with that. Though with the capacity limits they'll have I'm not sure how "crowded" it will be.

If anything I think Disney and Uni would probably do their best not to have a scene like the last night of MK being open. That kind of crowding would probably turn potential vacationers off even more
Yeah, I would say they shouldn’t open until they feel 100% about pictures getting out about how they’re going to handle distancing measures as well.

I think we tend to overestimate how many of these kinds of people there are being in the fan community.

The realistic view on the parks:
-Most people have cancelled any and all summer vacation plans already this summer. Some might end up rebooking, but most won't.
-The majority (60%+) say they will not be comfortable flying for about 6 months after getting the all clear. I've read that also means those people won't even be *booking* flights for 6 months. Meaning even if bookings improve around Oct/Nov, people actually traveling will take longer to actually get down to Orlando.
-This doesn't take into effect any travel restrictions that may continue through the summer, or new ones that may be added (especially for Brazil who look like they're on a runaway train)
-Local APs don't spend as much as vacationers, so even the low crowds they will be getting won't be spending.

Basically I think by Christmas we might have days we would look at as "slow" or maybe "normal" in the pre COVID days, barring any kind of massive second wave in the fall. Maybe by Christmas 2021 we might get back to normal, depending on a vaccine and how the economy bounces back.

I think that DL will have a far more difficult time controlling crowds than WDW. With a larger local population and people cancelling their summer vacations, a local trip to DL might become their summer vacation.

Low crowds and an over perceived sense of safety may result in more people visiting.

Brazil may get over the worst of this quicker if things continue as they are (I'm not suggesting this is a good thing. car crashes are over quickly too)

As of tomorrow, it's crunch time regarding my June trip and I'm just not prepared to rebook within the next year. I'll have the flexibility to change to later this year but with travel insurance now not covering COVID as an excuse for cancelling, it's too risky.

I think that DL will have a far more difficult time controlling crowds than WDW. With a larger local population and people cancelling their summer vacations, a local trip to DL might become their summer vacation.

Low crowds and an over perceived sense of safety may result in more people visiting.

Brazil may get over the worst of this quicker if things continue as they are (I'm not suggesting this is a good thing. car crashes are over quickly too)

As of tomorrow, it's crunch time regarding my June trip and I'm just not prepared to rebook within the next year. I'll have the flexibility to change to later this year but with travel insurance now not covering COVID as an excuse for cancelling, it's too risky.
DL will probably push the upper bounds of their capacity limits more often than WDW for sure.

Even if Brazil "gets over" the worst of it quickly, I still expect travel bans for the country for a few months.

Do you have to decide by tomorrow?
If not- just keep waiting until they extend deadlines even further out. June is out of the question anyway; and being able to say “I’m not allowed to fly into America” is all that should be needed.

Of all my travel I had booked, I only had three flights (4 pax each) that wouldn’t allow me to cancel - all through Vietjet. Luckily they were only ~$40/person or so, but still; $500 down the toilet. They would’ve been for this week. I’ve received 3 emails Over the past couple days that those flights are cancelled including the one into Laos. They are all refunding as well (first tried to give credit but refund was option).

So my advice would be: be patient and hold off as long as you can for any cancellations because the policies are likely to continue to be extended and more generous and will only benefit you. I’d cancel at 48-72 hrs if it’s me (or whatever the deadline is). Tbh, I’m shocked a virgin travel package wouldn’t just refund in full even without insurance. Our big 4 domestics did here. And, outside of SW (and maybe Delta), VA is better than the others with Customer Service in my experience.

Brazil "gets over" the worst of it quickly, I still expect travel bans for the country for a few months.
Yeah- Brazil and Argentina are two down in SA that id expect to keep bans and restrictions longer than any others. Argentina, in particular.

It partially solves a problem. While, yes, the strobe environment and use of triggers by the actors is a big part of going through a house, the "near-miss" scare, which is utilized a lot in the houses, wouldn't be able to be used. What do I mean? A "near miss" scare is when a scareactor pops out (hopefully while you are distracted by either the trigger or another scareactor) and pops in and pops out of your walking space. If done right, it's a very effective scare that (depending on the guest) briefly stuns then or will make them scream/run.

Also, triggers aren't a scare. Triggers are there either as a lighting effect/sound queue that the actor mouths words to or its there as a sound queue that is meant to distract guests from something happening elsewhere in the house. An asylum type house could maybe be cool with Plexiglass, but everything else would be REAL rough and a real lack of scares, probably puppets used as a primary scare.
This was my initial hesitation with plexiglass

I also thought all scarezones could, technically take place, but the scareactors would be on elevated stages

Both would NOT deliver a normal HHN experience...But it's something

The near miss scares would not happen unfortunately

Disneyland has pushed back reservations until July. Knotts owners are saying some of their parks might not reopen in 2020.

I honestly don’t see a way forward with the parks until there’s a vaccine widely available.

Do you have to decide by tomorrow?
If not- just keep waiting until they extend deadlines even further out. June is out of the question anyway; and being able to say “I’m not allowed to fly into America” is all that should be needed.

Of all my travel I had booked, I only had three flights (4 pax each) that wouldn’t allow me to cancel - all through Vietjet. Luckily they were only ~$40/person or so, but still; $500 down the toilet. They would’ve been for this week. I’ve received 3 emails Over the past couple days that those flights are cancelled including the one into Laos. They are all refunding as well (first tried to give credit but refund was option).

So my advice would be: be patient and hold off as long as you can for any cancellations because the policies are likely to continue to be extended and more generous and will only benefit you. I’d cancel at 48-72 hrs if it’s me (or whatever the deadline is). Tbh, I’m shocked a virgin travel package wouldn’t just refund in full even without insurance. Our big 4 domestics did here. And, outside of SW (and maybe Delta), VA is better than the others with Customer Service in my experience.

Yeah- Brazil and Argentina are two down in SA that id expect to keep bans and restrictions longer than any others. Argentina, in particular.

The travel agent I booked the Disney hotel through is saying that Disney are demanding final payment now. I don't mind paying the money directly to Disney but not to a smaller travel agent who could possibly go into administration and I'd rather not hand out 8 grand right now. If the travel agent offer a credit above what I paid, I'll take it, if not I'll just take a refund for the deposit.

Virgin are still being flexible. My dad spoke to them this morning and they said that the 747 from GLA - MCO will be replaced by a dreamliner.

I'm actually feeling pretty confident in Virgin's future for the time being.

The travel agent I booked the Disney hotel through is saying that Disney are demanding final payment now. I don't mind paying the money directly to Disney but not to a smaller travel agent who could possibly go into administration and I'd rather not hand out 8 grand right now. If the travel agent offer a credit above what I paid, I'll take it, if not I'll just take a refund for the deposit.

Virgin are still being flexible. My dad spoke to them this morning and they said that the 747 from GLA - MCO will be replaced by a dreamliner.

I'm actually feeling pretty confident in Virgin's future for the time being.
If it was me, I'd cancel. The uncertainty of what is going to happen being on my mind constantly would take away the fun of vacation anticipation. I have it set in my mind that I'm not even going to think about a vacation before spring of 2021. If they open before that it's going to be an 'incomplete experience' in an atmosphere that screams 'this is not the way a relaxing vacation is supposed to feel'. Too much money for too little reward....Just my opinion, of course.
My own personal thought is that the money I'm saving on forgoing my normal two trips to Orlando this year, can be used to augment my future vacations, and raise them a level or two in regards to number of days, hotels, food etc.

Reactions: Andysol
If it was me, I'd cancel. The uncertainty of what is going to happen being on my mind constantly would take away the fun of vacation anticipation. I have it set in my mind that I'm not even going to think about a vacation before spring of 2021. If they open before that it's going to be an 'incomplete experience' in an atmosphere that screams 'this is not the way a relaxing vacation is supposed to feel'. Too much money for too little reward....Just my opinion, of course.
Yea. We're planning on doing a few National Parks in the spring, but not planning on flying until the end of next summer at the earliest.

If things are back to normal by fall 2020 (ie vaccine), I'll definitely head down for HHN though. But until then the experience just does not sound all that fun

Reactions: Robert Bliss
My own personal thought is that the money I'm saving on forgoing my normal two trips to Orlando this year, can be used to augment my future vacations, and raise them a level or two in regards to number of days, hotels, food etc.

I'm cancelling the flights, I'm fairly confident I'll be able to rebook at a cheaper price.

The reason for keeping the credit with the travel agent is that they told me I've been locked into this years pricing and can keep free dining. If I go to book for next year and it's cheaper, I put the deposit towards that, if I go to book for next year and it's more expensive, I get the cheaper price.

Status
Not open for further replies.