Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry | Page 133 | Inside Universal Forums

Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm cancelling the flights, I'm fairly confident I'll be able to rebook at a cheaper price.

The reason for keeping the credit with the travel agent is that they told me I've been locked into this years pricing and can keep free dining. If I go to book for next year and it's cheaper, I put the deposit towards that, if I go to book for next year and it's more expensive, I get the cheaper price.
sounds like a good decision

Reactions: Scott W.
Disneyland has pushed back reservations until July. Knotts owners are saying some of their parks might not reopen in 2020.

I honestly don’t see a way forward with the parks until there’s a vaccine widely available.
They can open soon, it will just be a neutered experience

I'm interested to see what Shanghai Disney looks like and their procedures

The travel agent I booked the Disney hotel through is saying that Disney are demanding final payment now. I don't mind paying the money directly to Disney but not to a smaller travel agent who could possibly go into administration and I'd rather not hand out 8 grand right now. If the travel agent offer a credit above what I paid, I'll take it, if not I'll just take a refund for the deposit.

Virgin are still being flexible. My dad spoke to them this morning and they said that the 747 from GLA - MCO will be replaced by a dreamliner.

I'm actually feeling pretty confident in Virgin's future for the time being.
The reason for keeping the credit with the travel agent is that they told me I've been locked into this years pricing and can keep free dining. If I go to book for next year and it's cheaper, I put the deposit towards that, if I go to book for next year and it's more expensive, I get the cheaper price.
If it’s me, I cancel.

I don’t see Disney raising prices in any significant way or removing free dining in any fashion in the next 12 months. In fact, quite the opposite.
I’d get my money back from a small travel agency today.
Yea. We're planning on doing a few National Parks in the spring, but not planning on flying until the end of next summer at the earliest.
That’s definitely the smartest move. Any thoughts as to where yet?

I still have on the books:
-Savannah in August (will likely go if able)
-Taiwan, Vietnam, Turkey, Italy (lol), France, England, Ireland in September and October but that’s all but dead at this point I’d say 1:99 odds. I only have the flights currently so that’ll be an easy cancel. I’m keeping it until August in case some miracle happens.
-Colombia in November which is probably 25:75 right now. I’ll have to watch them closely. And even if COVID somehow isn’t a major concern, petty crime likely will be at that point ($).
-Disney in December maybe 60:40?

But I’ve basically written off all of 2020 in my mind.

Reactions: Mad Dog
I tried looking, but couldn’t really find info on how safe taking on and off masks is. The parks could open with mandatory masking in indoor attractions/stores. Have sanitizing stations right outside in order to clean hands before putting mask on. Then at the exit for taking it off. Not sure how safe it is though with rewearing multiple times.

Not sure how safe it is though with rewearing multiple times.

If you bring your own cloth mask you can:

A. run clean water through the coffee maker in your hotel room and pour the water on your mask in the sink.
B. If the room has a microwave, bring a container of water to near boiling and plunge the mask into the container.

170° will kill most anything in just a few minutes. Boiling water will do it in seconds.

Reactions: Scott W.
If it’s me, I cancel.

I don’t see Disney raising prices in any significant way or removing free dining in any fashion in the next 12 months. In fact, quite the opposite.
I’d get my money back from a small travel agency today.

I still have on the books:
-Savannah in August (will likely go if able)
-Taiwan, Vietnam, Turkey, Italy (lol), France, England, Ireland in September and October but that’s all but dead at this point I’d say 1:99 odds. I only have the flights currently so that’ll be an easy cancel. I’m keeping it until August in case some miracle happens.
-Colombia in November which is probably 25:75 right now. I’ll have to watch them closely. And even if COVID somehow isn’t a major concern, petty crime likely will be at that point ($).
-Disney in December maybe 60:40?

But I’ve basically written off all of 2020 in my mind.

It’s only £870 so I won’t miss it but it is protected by the government so even if they go under, I’ll get it back. I don’t see any downside.

I tried looking, but couldn’t really find info on how safe taking on and off masks is. The parks could open with mandatory masking in indoor attractions/stores. Have sanitizing stations right outside in order to clean hands before putting mask on. Then at the exit for taking it off. Not sure how safe it is though with rewearing multiple times.

The general rule of thumb is to remove it by the ear and only touch the electric around your ear if you have to remove it. Don’t touch the part covering your mouth and nose.

Reactions: Journey_On
National Parks? Shenandoah and Great Smoky Mountains. Both are in easy driving distance and can stop and see friends along the way.

First time flying? As long as things are good to go, we'll do the Scotland trip we were supposed to do last week in August or September next year.

If things stay solid through next spring, will also probably try and do the Kennywood/Kings Island/Cedar Point trip with @Joe we were planning on doing this memorial day weekend

Reactions: Mad Dog and Andysol
We're kind of lucky with our location. We're at the foothills of the Laurel Mountain section of the Appalachian Mountains. It's only a short 30 to 45 minute ride to the state parks in the mountains. So it's essentially a day trip for us. Generally we go every other weekend in the summer, so it'll be business as usual for us. Frankly, i'd rather be there in the summer than just about anywhere else. The south is too hot and humid. The mountains are beautiful, with lots to do, parks, hiking trails, and easy to distance from people, and absolutely beautiful. We'll probably just pack a lunch, with a bottle of wine, and eat it on location instead of dealing with the hassle of a restaurant. ....Sooo, for us, CV will be a very minor diversion. We'll be doing what we normally do with very little health risk, short of slipping while crossing a stream. :)...and the Youghiogheny River biking/hiking trail that eventually stretches all the way to Washington DC, has it's 'original' beginning less than a mile from my house, so we do that during weekdays, plus sometimes I'll take our raft down to the river and we'll do a rafting trip. I just love this location. .Every day is like a vacation location.

Last edited:
Disneyland has pushed back reservations until July. Knotts owners are saying some of their parks might not reopen in 2020.

I honestly don’t see a way forward with the parks until there’s a vaccine widely available.
In California it will be really hard and I think they're looking more towards the end of Summer/Fall since theme parks are in California's Phase 4.

I think in Florida they will be more than allowed, it will come down to if they think it's worth it. Remember, they didn't close due to government order, they closed on their own because this is a pandemic.

Just in...Accuweather is predicting a "very active" hurricane season for the Atlantic region. So just when things might be settling down a bit for CV i the late summer/fall, the southeast might encounter a bad hurricane season. This is certainly looking like the year to not visit Orlando.

Well, I'm (still for now) getting married in October and our plan was to do a cruise from Italy to Spain in November. We finally cancelled. It breaks my heart because it would've been her first cruise and our first time to any of those locations like Greece, Monte Carlo, Rome, etc.

Our back up plan is to do some time down in Orlando if the parks are enough things are open. We don't have anything booked right now but we figure with lower crowds, we mind as well drive down and try to enjoy as much as we can if it's open.

Due to the rules, I would not be at liberty to reference a survey, even if I had received one about 15mins ago and just completed it.

Not all surveys are marked confidential - which are the ones that can't be shared.

Either way, yes - it was related to COVID and the parks re-opening. It seems the date of re-opening is different for each survey so do not take it as an indication of plans.

Just in...Accuweather is predicting a "very active" hurricane season for the Atlantic region. So just when things might be settling down a bit for CV i the late summer/fall, the southeast might encounter a bad hurricane season. This is certainly looking like the year to not visit Orlando.
Luckily Florida already got hit with a hurricane last year, so it should have the antibodies.

Wow, the GoM is looking like bathwater right now :(

I think the opening day will be crowded. After that I think we’re talking closer to a ghost town than not.
With that being said AP's like me finally might get to visit during the summer, because There was no way I ever even tried to go in the summer month's. So I hope you all prove to be right:dance:

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.