Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry | Page 167 | Inside Universal Forums

Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Those 15 min tests are super inaccurate though. I dunno, just seems like they're gonna play for a week or two and then have to shut everything down again

Super is an overstatement... that study took the swabs and put them in a chemical for transport before putting them into the Abbott machine. Abbot states that the swab needs to go from nose directly into the machine immediately... a ”while the patient waits” scenario.

And don't forget you have to worry about referees, too.

It's a sticky situation. They still may not go through with it, but they really want to because a lot of money is riding on them finishing out the season. And i'm not talking TV money, i'm talking league salary cap money is what's at stake.
I hope they get it to work. I'm not a basketball fan, but I'll watch anything I can get at this point.

Still hoping baseball gets their stuff together for a shortened season
Super is an overstatement... that study took the swabs and put them in a chemical for transport before putting them into the Abbott machine. Abbot states that the swab needs to go from nose directly into the machine immediately... a ”while the patient waits” scenario.

That's good. I hope that's true.

Still hoping baseball gets their stuff together for a shortened season
Aside from there being more players to test/quarantine, baseball should be rather easy to get up and going as it's a fairly limited contact sport. If the NBA gets going than MLB can definitely do it i'd think.

Aside from there being more players to test/quarantine, baseball should be rather easy to get up and going as it's a fairly limited contact sport. If the NBA gets going than MLB can definitely do it i'd think.
Oh MLB can and they already have a plan. The problem is the owners are trying to screw over the players with said plan so at this point it's looking unlikely

Reactions: Clive
Really good update on SHDL. Looks like things are running really good there, CMs are on top of policing distancing measures and guests themselves seem to be doing a surprisingly good job at voluntarily doing it for a place that was known originally for the infamous guests that came in and absolutely demolished the park on opening day with no care for anything. Some of the extended queues seem to be bunching up though so they may need to fix that.

Last edited:
Really good update on SHDL. Looks like things are running really good there, CMs are on top of policing distancing measures and guests themselves seem to be doing a surprisingly good job at voluntarily doing it for a place that was known originally for the infamous guests that came in and absolutely demolished the park on opening day with no care for anything.

They've been open a full week, and haven't had even one family trying to grill hotdogs? Disney Springs couldn't even make it one day before that happened.

• Haha
Really good update on SHDL. Looks like things are running really good there, CMs are on top of policing distancing measures and guests themselves seem to be doing a surprisingly good job at voluntarily doing it for a place that was known originally for the infamous guests that came in and absolutely demolished the park on opening day with no care for anything. Some of the extended queues seem to be bunching up though so they may need to fix that.

Nice find, nice video....Though the ride queue lines, for the most part, seems like kind of normal, with people right next to each other in most of the lines they showed on the video.

Reactions: Clive and Nick
Nice find, nice video....Though the ride queue lines, for the most part, seems like kind of normal, with people right next to each other in most of the lines they showed on the video.
Some of the queues seemed to be following distancing, others, like the Pirates and Soarin queues, were worse. From what I saw, it looked like the worst stuff was in what i'd consider an extended queue due to lines being longer with distancing. But the extended queues don't have distancing markers.

Reactions: Mad Dog
I was checking hotel bookings (on site) and the 1st week of June not available, but June 8th on is. So the parks should be open right?
No. Just because they are accepting booking does not mean the parks will be open and they may still cancel your reservation if you were to book. Disney and Universal have been canceling reservations periodically since March.

Reactions: SeventyOne
Some of the queues seemed to be following distancing, others, like the Pirates and Soarin queues, were worse. From what I saw, it looked like the worst stuff was in what i'd consider an extended queue due to lines being longer with distancing. But the extended queues don't have distancing markers.
I enjoyed the video especially since I've been super curious on how the park is being attended. It was hard to figure out from the video. Some areas seemed OK for 25 to 35% max., while other areas seemed slow. Ride times are tough to gauge, or compare, since they're staggering seating. Have you seen any info if they are meeting attendance expectations in lieu of the attendance cap criteria?

I enjoyed the video especially since I've been super curious on how the park is being attended. It was hard to figure out from the video. Some areas seemed OK for 25 to 35% max., while other areas seemed slow. Ride times are tough to gauge, or compare, since they're staggering seating. Have you seen any info if they are meeting attendance expectations in lieu of the attendance cap criteria?
I have to think so since they are selling out most days. I went to the SHDL site and if I wanted to buy a ticket, the next day available is the 24th, 25th and then June 1st. In all likelihood, all of those days will end up selling out.
6IvXz62.png

Reactions: Mad Dog
I have to think so since they are selling out most days. I went to the SHDL site and if I wanted to buy a ticket, the next day available is the 24th, 25th and then June 1st. In all likelihood, all of those days will end up selling out.
6IvXz62.png
Thanks. Great idea to check out the ticket site. :thumbsup:

I’m skeptical that they would make players stay at Coronado because while new it isn’t *that* nice, especially outside the tower. Each team varies but I think most stay at the Ritz Carlton when playing the Magic.

I could see how Coronado would be the best place for league and team staff though, especially if they need places to hold socially distanced meetings or press conferences.

I’m skeptical that they would make players stay at Coronado because while new it isn’t *that* nice, especially outside the tower. Each team varies but I think most stay at the Ritz Carlton when playing the Magic.

I could see how Coronado would be the best place for league and team staff though, especially if they need places to hold socially distanced meetings or press conferences.
It's not like teams stay at hotels like a Ritz or Four seaons when they travel. They stay at hotels along the quality of the Gran Destino at Coronado Springs all the time to save costs.

Size of in room beds may well be a concern and determine where they stay. I'm showing my age, but I remember back when Wilt 'The Stilt' Chamberlain complained about trying to fit in some of the smaller hotel beds. NBA players average taller than other sports.

It's not like teams stay at hotels like a Ritz or Four seaons when they travel. They stay at hotels along the quality of the Gran Destino at Coronado Springs all the time to save costs.
Except I just said that a number of them stay at the Ritz when playing in Orlando ... because I know someone out there who has rattled off which ones they’ve handled. Second most popular is Grand Bohemian, which also falls under the Marriott portfolio as an Autograph Collection.

These are millionaire athletes playing for billionaire owners and sleep is a top priority to keeping them at peak performance. There’s also the security component and the fact that they cut deals with companies like Marriott. They aren’t skimping on hotels.

Except I just said that a number of them stay at the Ritz when playing in Orlando ... because I know someone out there who has rattled off which ones they’ve handled. Second most popular is Grand Bohemian, which also falls under the Marriott portfolio as an Autograph Collection.

These are millionaire athletes playing for billionaire owners and sleep is a top priority to keeping them at peak performance. There’s also the security component and the fact that they cut deals with companies like Marriott. They aren’t skimping on hotels.
Point taken. But again, the rumor about Coronado was based on absolutely nothing but availability, which is a useless metric right now. Also, there's plenty of more upscale hotels on property. You've got a Four Seasons on property, a Waldorf Astoria, Wyndham Bonnet Creek and a JW Marriott that is brand new and waiting to open.

Some firsthand experience on a hotel buffet and how Disney could implement.

First- I have very high status with the three major chains and have had Free breakfast at some insane places including Michelin restaurants due to status. So I have quite extensive “breakfast at hotel” experience. Something I thought I’d never brag about :lol:
Anyway, buffets are my least favorite way to eat breakfast.

I’m currently at the Hilton Sandestin and they opened up Saturday. They are doing a “buffet”. Here’s how it works:

You are seated at your table and the waiter asks which drinks you’d like. Then you have a “one way in, one way out” to go through buffet line. Purrell there before you get your plate. Once you get your plate, there is a person who will dip all of your breakfast items for you. You stand on the other side with a sneeze guard and hold plate near food and they dip it on there.
Even without a mask- really no way to contaminate anything there.

That said- it only works with reduced capacity. Otherwise the line would be unmanageable and spacing/staffing would be an issue.

So while I fully expect Character dining will go away for the short term; it’s entirely manageable to work a club level room or buffet at a hotel in the same manner while keeping a very safe environment.

Status
Not open for further replies.