Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry | Page 168 | Inside Universal Forums

Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Some firsthand experience on a hotel buffet and how Disney could implement.

First- I have very high status with the three major chains and have had Free breakfast at some insane places including Michelin restaurants due to status. So I have quite extensive “breakfast at hotel” experience. Something I thought I’d never brag about :lol:
Anyway, buffets are my least favorite way to eat breakfast.

I’m currently at the Hilton Sandestin and they opened up Saturday. They are doing a “buffet”. Here’s how it works:

You are seated at your table and the waiter asks which drinks you’d like. Then you have a “one way in, one way out” to go through buffet line. Purrell there before you get your plate. Once you get your plate, there is a person who will dip all of your breakfast items for you. You stand on the other side with a sneeze guard and hold plate near food and they dip it on there.
Even without a mask- really no way to contaminate anything there.

That said- it only works with reduced capacity. Otherwise the line would be unmanageable and spacing/staffing would be an issue.

So while I fully expect Character dining will go away for the short term; it’s entirely manageable to work a club level room or buffet at a hotel in the same manner while keeping a very safe environment.
I think a lot of the buffets could simply run as Table Service for the time being. They could offer a pre-fixe menu instead of a buffet and then all of the buffets become more like a Whispering Canyon experience.

I think a lot of the buffets could simply run as Table Service for the time being. They could offer a pre-fixe menu instead of a buffet and then all of the buffets become more like a Whispering Canyon experience.
Agreed. That’s how Hilton was until Monday (but I wasn’t here so can’t speak to it). From a cost perspective, buffets are always the cheapest, so a pre-fixe with bulk made food is certainly reasonable.

I was thinking more club level ($$$) or hotel for breakfast buffet (not lunch/dinner) like a Boma.

I have to say, one thing that made me laugh while at Disney Springs was seeing the Mulan photo op at the AMC and then looking at the posters for movies that were in theaters back then. There’s still a Knives Out and Rise of Skywalker poster up! :lol:

The crazy thing is that the Mulan photo op can just stay up for the July 24th release, now.
This is the type of thing I was talking about:

Went to a Buffet last night (Golden Corral) all food is now served by Employees from behind Buffet .Table is empty of everything, your server brings you a condiment caddy,plates and drinks after you sit. Put up a Que rope and you are supposed to keep distance and walk in one direction only .I felt fairly safe .

• Wow
Reactions: Andysol and Grabnar
Went to a Buffet last night (Golden Corral) all food is now served by Employees from behind Buffet .Table is empty of everything, your server brings you a condiment caddy,plates and drinks after you sit. Put up a Que rope and you are supposed to keep distance and walk in one direction only .I felt fairly safe .
Pretty sure Buffet's are high on the list of places that are contagious. Like one of the tops. Im glad you're safe and they did what they can, but a buffet is the last place ill go before a theme park. Once I do those 2 things Covid is OVAH in my book haha

Really good update on SHDL. Looks like things are running really good there, CMs are on top of policing distancing measures and guests themselves seem to be doing a surprisingly good job at voluntarily doing it for a place that was known originally for the infamous guests that came in and absolutely demolished the park on opening day with no care for anything. Some of the extended queues seem to be bunching up though so they may need to fix that.

God, what's the point of increasing park capacity if ride capacities are still gonna be staggered to the point of wait times averaging three-digits? What a miserable experience that's gonna be if they keep letting more people in.

Reactions: Andysol and Mad Dog
*nervously happy noises*

Don't mess this up.
They are already trying to screw it up .They are all over UOAP Facebook page about being forced to wear a mask."I have a doctors note" "it is against ADA to force me""You are violating my Constitutional rights by making me wear one" (ok I made up the last one) Damn just saw the Constitional rights one in the UOAP facebook posts
Just wear the damn mask or don't go .They are trying to keep you safe and reopen my favorite place . just follow their rules or don't go .

Last edited:
They are already trying to screw it up .They are all over UOAP Facebook page about being forced to wear a mask."I have a doctors note" "it is against ADA to force me""You are violating my Constitutional rights by making me wear one" (ok I made up the last one)
Just wear the damn mask or don't go .They are trying to keep you safe and reopen my favorite place . just follow their rules or don't go .

I was talking about Universal lol. But yeah, I don't get the big deal about wearing masks. How hard is it to put one on?! Jesus Christ people.

I was talking about Universal lol. But yeah, I don't get the big deal about wearing masks. How hard is it to put one on?! Jesus Christ people.
There are a multitude of positive reasons to wear a mask including even if no one is actually infected the worst part is you were inconvenienced
There's one one major reason not to wear a mask. You're a jerk.

Status
Not open for further replies.