Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry | Page 26 | Inside Universal Forums

Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
“This recommendation does not apply to the day to day operation of organizations such as schools, institutes of higher learning, or businesses.” - CDC.

FFS.

50 people in a restaurant, stadium, or street is going to spread the virus, so we need to stop it.

A couple hundred people on a plane, 1000 kids in a school, or 500 people crushing into a Walmart, no problem.

It's hard to take these people seriously when they are so inconsistent.

They need to. Too many cities (my own included) are not shutting everything that is non-essential down. Every prod and poke is necessary
“This recommendation does not apply to the day to day operation of organizations such as schools, institutes of higher learning, or businesses.” - CDC.

FFS.

50 people in a restaurant, stadium, or street is going to spread the virus, so we need to stop it.

A couple hundred people on a plane, 1000 kids in a school, or 500 people crushing into a Walmart, no problem.

It's hard to take these people seriously when they are so inconsistent.

i have seen recent pictures online of some young people going to bars and nightclubs in large groups in different cities
and also making fun of the situation with the hashtag "#Boomer remover"
some younger people just dont want to take this seriously at all......or just dont care who gets it or who suffers because of it,
the local governments might have to enforce strict curfews, or force all night establishments to close. stronger measurements might be needed

Last edited:
Reactions: Andysol
Nothing is opening April 1.

Expected that nothing would reopen that season soon, but I am slightly surprised the CDC came out with this.
After seeing this pic from Spring Break on South Padre Island last night, I'm not surprised they're being aggressive

90178414_3192615730798075_8606497897153822720_n-jpg.11833

Attachments

• 90178414_3192615730798075_8606497897153822720_n.jpg
    90178414_3192615730798075_8606497897153822720_n.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 224
It's not just irresponsible young people that are to blame (they are). IMO all elderly should be at home right now, self quarantined, with no visitors, unless they are unable to get or afford deliveries for essential items (the government should be assisting on this). Even if they don't care about their own health (e.g. YOLO attitude that I've seen from elderly recently), their significantly higher potential need for a respirator and hospital bed is going to jeopardize our country's ability to handle this national health crisis.

The reason I bring it up is I am still seeing elderly people walking around, outside, as if nothing in this world has changed. Yes crowds and non-essential travel is irresponsible, everyone should be taking precautions... but the elderly (and the sick/at risk) especially should be on a very high alert right now (full 'duck and cover' mode), and I didn't see that from many I saw just today over at Cranes Roost here in Orlando.

The reason I bring it up is I am still seeing elderly people walking around, outside, as if nothing in this world has changed. Yes crowds and non-essential travel is irresponsible, everyone should be taking precautions...

My sister talked to our grandparents yesterday, and even they still seem to think this will blow over in a couple days. They're going to a wedding tonight, and plan to continue attending social events.

When she was coming back from school, she also said she a group of four old ladies hanging out and laughing in a crowed area, one of them with an oxygen mask on. She's been studying virology in school and as you can imagine this whole situation is very infuriating for her

It's frustrating that sometimes no amount of evidence or goodwill on your part can get people to change their minds and protect themselves. I know that personally, for various reasons, it can be hard to talk with family about these things. In some situations, it's better for our own personal sanity to refrain from changing someone's mind...

But this feels like a situation where we have to try, even if it's hard and mentally taxing work

It's not just irresponsible young people that are to blame (they are). IMO all elderly should be at home right now, self quarantined, with no visitors, unless they are unable to get or afford deliveries for essential items (the government should be assisting on this). Even if they don't care about their own health (e.g. YOLO attitude that I've seen from elderly recently), their significantly higher potential need for a respirator and hospital bed is going to jeopardize our country's ability to handle this national health crisis.

The reason I bring it up is I am still seeing elderly people walking around, outside, as if nothing in this world has changed. Yes crowds and non-essential travel is irresponsible, everyone should be taking precautions... but the elderly (and the sick/at risk) especially should be on a very high alert right now (full 'duck and cover' mode), and I didn't see that from many I saw just today over at Cranes Roost here in Orlando.
My sister talked to our grandparents yesterday, and even they still seem to think this will blow over in a couple days. They're going to a wedding tonight, and plan to continue attending social events.

When she was coming back from school, she also said she a group of four old ladies hanging out and laughing in a crowed area, one of them with an oxygen mask on. She's been studying virology in school and as you can imagine this whole situation is very infuriating for her

It's frustrating that sometimes no amount of evidence or goodwill on your part can get people to change their minds and protect themselves. I know that personally, for various reasons, it can be hard to talk with family about these things. In some situations, it's better for our own personal sanity to refrain from changing someone's mind...

But this feels like a situation where we have to try, even if it's hard and mentally taxing work

a lot of people dont even know what it does, they dont understand, this doctor explains it

(The experience can slowly progress from the familiar—cough, congestion, fever—to a life-threatening inflammatory response as the virus spreads down into the lungs, filling the airways with fluid. Survivors can have permanent scarring in the lungs. The virus can also spread into other organs, causing liver damage or gastrointestinal disease. These effects can play out over longer periods than in the flu, sometimes waxing and waning. Some patients have begun to feel better, then fallen critically ill. The disease can be fatal despite receiving optimal medical care. )

maybe if people know what it does they will understand.

Reactions: PerceptiveCoot
CM scuttlebutt: they are cutting back to one resort in each category, i.e. one monorail resort, one moderate, one All-Star. Personally, not sure how long even this lasts--novelty of staying there might attract CMs at first but as money tightens and uncertainty grows, can't give these rooms away at cost.

Also rumored: full-time park CMs are being pulled to resorts/Disney Springs to replace College Program workers. Again, not sure how long this could last.

My friend was under the impression part-time employees will not be paid, but she's third party, could be misinformed. In any case, she's tipped, so minimum wage would still be a pay cut.

The box office took a pummeling this weekend:

Random non-virus-related fact (feel we could use some of those): Gitesh and I went to the same small liberal arts college and were on the fencing team together.

This is a big atmospheric loss. Entertainment is being cut left and right at Epcot.

Gotta wonder if they will use the beds as quarantine facilities if necessary, or possibly use as a temporary hospital if the beds become overrun at Central Florida's hospitals. That's worst case scenario and down the line a bit, but not out of the realm of possibility.

Last edited:
Yup. Which is why everyone in the mass gathering at the end of MK’s closing was extremely stupid.
Yup. And Universal held three concerts this weekend (not making this a Disney vs. Uni thing, just general remarks), even after two of the original acts dropped out. Meanwhile, SeaWorld canceled both of their scheduled concerts this weekend and was doing shows at half capacity in an attempt to try and space people out from each other more:

I will say, Universal was on it when it came to hand sanitizer though. You could barely find any at WDW, but they installed new, permanent-looking dispensers all around the resort at UO.

Reactions: SeventyOne
Status
Not open for further replies.