Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry | Page 27 | Inside Universal Forums

Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup. And Universal held three concerts this weekend (not making this a Disney vs. Uni thing, just general remarks), even after two of the original acts dropped out. Meanwhile, SeaWorld canceled both of their scheduled concerts this weekend and was doing shows at half capacity in an attempt to try and space people out from each other more:

I will say, Universal was on it when it came to hand sanitizer though. You could barely find any at WDW, but they installed new, permanent-looking dispensers all around the resort.

oh I know.The parks should’ve already closed but it seemed like MK was “Ground Zero” of blogs, CMs, and last guests all together for what seemed like a little “mini event”.

Reactions: RevFreako and Nick
oh I know.The parks should’ve already closed but it seemed like MK was “Ground Zero” of blogs, CMs, and last guests all together for what seemed like a little “mini event”.
Didn't help that the WDW Prez decided to make a visit, which only made it more of a cluster. He put himself and everyone else at risk by creating that situation.

And yeah, the parks should've closed the day they announced the closure if it was that much of an emergency (which it is), but they had to squeeze out every last penny they could and they also turned DHS into a mess of CPs as today was the one and only day of the spring CP Program that they were unblocked from going to the park as a guest. Again, a decision that I think Josh was making to make CPs happy when it's a crappy situation, but he shouldn't have been encouraging them going to the parks for their own good.

Reactions: Andysol and Clive
jesus....

On one hand, the fact that they're actually screening people coming back from other countries is a good thing. On the other hand, that's just an unacceptable situation and tbh, they all should be getting TESTED, not just screened. As we know, you can pass a screening, but come up positive on a test for COVID-19 as you can have the disease for quite some time without showing any signs.

And sit down restaurants and bars across the country. Already shut down in several states.
NY doing this first was a big swing. My restaurant/cafe in Maine is closed through next week now at least. Restaurant is comping staff with pay (along with the average amount we make in tips as at this bakery its literally 1/2 my salary) and they will do this for up to a month if necessary. After that month they essentially said all bets are off as we are all in un-watered territory here and will continue to monitor as things progress. So I'm super thankful, but I fear for so, so many jobs.

I would guess Disney & Universal had no idea the dominoes would fall this fast, and originally planned to stay open for at least a couple more weeks. That may have had a lot to do with the confused manner of the closings.

Reactions: RFRees
I would guess Disney & Universal had no idea the dominoes would fall this fast, and originally planned to stay open for at least a couple more weeks. That may have had a lot to do with the confused manner of the closings.
When the NBA cancelled the season last Wednesday evening I think that should have put every single person on notice. Shouldn't have been open this weekend, especially for Universal with TWO concerts, after their original acts already cancelled!

Reactions: RevFreako
Just got a call from my salon and they're closing for two weeks so shaggy Joe look it is.

Two weeks feels like the minimum now, honestly I think we'll go till early May.

Reactions: SeventyOne
I personally think possibly Memorial Day at the earliest, probably June...with CDC saying an 8 week period of 50 people or less...that puts us at mid-May.

I think it'll be a bad look if the parks open as soon as the period ends given how readily germs can spread in their locations...couple that with Disney losing their entire college program staff with no training period for the next batch...

It's unprecedented...this whole thing is wild.

Things escalated like crazy over the weekend.

Reactions: Mad Dog
You can't fault any business for being hesitant to shut down. This is just a crazy scenario we are dealing with here. This is going to put a lot of smaller companies out of business and even larger ones are going to take major hits. Theres a lot more to this than just medical concerns.

Status
Not open for further replies.