Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry | Page 46 | Inside Universal Forums

Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure but what if but if by the Time HHN comes around you build an event but people don't want to go because realistically we wont have a mass produced cure by then

Other said maybe reusing mazes...and more smaller mazes. Maybe a cheaper event or like an add on to a normal ticket or AP? But honestly with the way the president keeps wanting to re open America by April...I doubt we will be good until 2021....the more we rush this the longer it lasts

I am also going to see how they handle this....like if they do open in summer it would be not too funny if you couldn't go and passes only had a few weeks left...be basically useless

HHN happens during regular flu season, every single year, guests and cast members get sick, a lot of coughing and a lot of sneezing everywhere, people get grouped together in long lines and the houses see thousands of guests where actors are close to people while scaring, add corona and things get ugly
i really have no idea how they can hold hhn,
the regular flu is bad enough, and you are gonna get people sneezing and you wont know if they are infected or not, how could you tell if someone has it? and this time of the year brings rain too which makes people seek shelter from rain and creates groups in shops and restaurants, plus people will be touching everything with wet hands and leaving germs everywhere....

I think pulsing houses per party is going to be implemented this year. It'd be interesting for wait times, but Universal can't risk it. COVID-19 isn't going away any time soon even if the curve is flattened.

you can pulse houses by groups, but how do you pulse 2 hour queue lines? serious question.

Reactions: Mad Dog and Grabnar
HHN houses , by their physical nature, seems to me to have a high potential for issues, if a vaccine is not developed by then. Almost all pandemics have somewhat significant second waves. If there's no vaccine, and they want to still hold a HHN, they might seriously want to consider a different way to do it .

This is all assuming that we're not going to get a second wave and/or we have somehow mounted an organized response by then which I am skeptical about, particularly in the southern states. Mississippi's governor just superseded all local ordinances with an extremely lax stay at home order that declares most businesses essential.

We'll see how things shake out in the next 2 weeks, we're doubling every 3 days or so.

the second wave of spanish flu was a mutated form and was very deadly, it affected young people too, it was much much more dangerous, i know we have better technology now, but look at how hard the first wave of corona is hitting the world with modern technology....

HHN happens during regular flu season, every single year, guests and cast members get sick, a lot of coughing and a lot of sneezing everywhere, people get grouped together in long lines and the houses see thousands of guests where actors are close to people while scaring, add corona and things get ugly
i really have no idea how they can hold hhn,
the regular flu is bad enough, and you are gonna get people sneezing and you wont know if they are infected or not, how could you tell if someone has it? and this time of the year brings rain too which makes people seek shelter from rain and creates groups in shops and restaurants, plus people will be touching everything with wet hands and leaving germs everywhere....

you can pulse houses by groups, but how do you pulse 2 hour queue lines? serious question.
I agree its going to be tough and honestly not holding out much hope it will happen...making an already shitty year even worst

Also not you but funny to see some people REALLY think we are going to get control of this situation with the leadership we are having right now...i have no hope things are going back to normal before New Years...people want to go out and risk getting sick over just staying in and almost no one is forcing you to do so....so most people arent. Meaning its going to keep spreading

Reactions: Cup_Of_Coffee
i know that sometimes overseas tourists wear surgical masks when visiting hhn, (a few couples here and there) but would uni accept entire crowds showing up in surgical masks? could that even become a thing?

i know that sometimes overseas tourists wear surgical masks when visiting hhn, (a few couples here and there) but would uni accept entire crowds showing up in surgical masks? could that even become a thing?
I mean, it’s not like they could stop that if it happened.

I don't think everyone will get individually scanned. I think they will use thermal imaging tech to scan folks coming through the metal detectors to single out individuals with a high body temp. and scan them individually.

900501-airport-thermal-hmed2p.grid-6x2.jpg
While (if) they're doing this at theme parks, can we please replace the fingerprint scanner with facial recognition?..

Masks don't stop you from getting it, but they do help you from spreading it.
Just want to clarify a bit... (I'm assuming @Alicia knows this but for everyone else)

N95 respirators, which are a form of mask (they clearly do look like a face mask) do help healthcare workers as a form of PPE to prevent them from getting COVID-19. If you have these, please donate them asap.

On the other hand, the surgical style masks (not medical grade/42 cfr part 84) are the style recommended to anyone with a cough/etc to prevent the spread of their germs.

The surgical style masks do not filter small particles as well as the N95 style do. Additionally, laypersons may use them incorrectly, trapping in germs or allowing outside air to flow in.

However, there isn't a ton of science conducted on how ineffective these masks are against COVID-19 (considering how new this all is, and how much time proper science takes). It's very possible that those who are wearing a mask are reminded not to touch their face, which could be the same for anyone who is wearing gloves. This could lead to reducing the likelihood that they (mask/glove wearers) contract COVID-19 due to behavioral changes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andysol and Grabnar
Yup, but people don't seem to realize that. My Uber Eats and Instacart drivers that have been by this week have all been wearing masks and gloves.
I'd be happy to have them wearing one. Remember what @Alicia said:
"but they do help you from spreading it."

People in the food industry and other delivery services should be taking every precaution to prevent the spread of their germs. (You can be asymptomatic and have COVID-19.)

This seems like an odd exception to be allowed to stay open. Also, who tf is even at WDW right now to golf?

I'd be happy to have them wearing one. Remember what @Alicia said:
"but they do help you from spreading it."

People in the food industry and other delivery services should be taking every precaution to prevent the spread of their germs. (You can be asymptomatic and have COVID-19.)
Oh of course. It certainly can't hurt to wear that stuff. If I was out there on the front lines every day during this (luckily I have a solid enough job that will pay me even when closed), i'd be wearing a mask and gloves too.

Reactions: RFRees
Other said maybe reusing mazes...and more smaller mazes. Maybe a cheaper event or like an add on to a normal ticket or AP? But honestly with the way the president keeps wanting to re open America by April...I doubt we will be good until 2021....the more we rush this the longer it lasts

That's backwards actually. Flattening the curve stretches the overall time the pandemic takes. The info below shows that.

That's happening NOW not in September.

It's going to be both with the current strategy.

Screen Shot 2020-03-26 at 12.22.27 PM.png

Source: https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/im...-College-COVID19-NPI-modelling-16-03-2020.pdf

That's backwards actually. Flattening the curve stretches the overall time the pandemic takes. The info below shows that.

It's going to be both with the current strategy.

View attachment 11865

Source: https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/im...-College-COVID19-NPI-modelling-16-03-2020.pdf

We'll see what happens after April, if Trump tries to declare that things are 100% back open around Easter I have a feeling that Republican governors will largely follow suit and we'll end up with a massive spike in cases leading us to be somewhere between the black and orange curves.

the second wave of spanish flu was a mutated form and was very deadly, it affected young people too, it was much much more dangerous, i know we have better technology now, but look at how hard the first wave of corona is hitting the world with modern technology....

For what it's worth I have a feeling that this is already as deadly as it's going to get. The ACE-2 binding demonstrated is extremely strong and it would be difficult to make this more fit to purpose. This virus also seems to be much more stable than a traditional flu with around an order of magnitude less mutations per infection than the influenza virus.

Reactions: Lucky Planet
This seems like an odd exception to be allowed to stay open. Also, who tf is even at WDW right now to golf?
It’d have to be local retirees with APs or passes, Right?

And if they’re golfing by themselves, I guess that’s as good and safe of an activity as any.

For what it's worth I have a feeling that this is already as deadly as it's going to get. The ACE-2 binding demonstrated is extremely strong and it would be difficult to make this more fit to purpose. This virus also seems to be much more stable than a traditional flu with around an order of magnitude less mutations per infection than the influenza virus.
I said this yesterday I believe, but i'll say it again. Our biggest enemy is ourselves here. The overall death rate isn't that high right now, but if the hospitals become overrun, it could spike simply because we don't have enough beds and nurses/doctors to take care of the patients, causing us to have to make choices on who to save and who to let die, which would be a tragedy. That potential situation is what will drive up the death rate to levels that no one wants to see.

It’d have to be local retirees with APs or passes, Right?

And if they’re golfing by themselves, I guess that’s as good and safe of an activity as any.
Yeah, as long as they're using their own clubs. Although I have to assume that golf carts aren't extremely sanitary.

I don't think everyone will get individually scanned. I think they will use thermal imaging tech to scan folks coming through the metal detectors to single out individuals with a high body temp. and scan them individually.

900501-airport-thermal-hmed2p.grid-6x2.jpg

I think this is the best way forward but in the Orlando summer heat, could this work?

For Universal, it could be easier since they will be in a covered area coming out the car park and I could see the boats being closed and making most hotel guests come in through a single entrance.

Reactions: Lucky Planet
I said this yesterday I believe, but i'll say it again. Our biggest enemy is ourselves here. The overall death rate isn't that high right now, but if the hospitals become overrun, it could spike simply because we don't have enough beds and nurses/doctors to take care of the patients, causing us to have to make choices on who to save and who to let die, which would be a tragedy. That potential situation is what will drive up the death rate to levels that no one wants to see.

100%

I simply mean it's unlikely that it'll become more inherently infectious/pathogenic than it is right now. Failures of the medical system will 100% increase CFR

If that is true, then why are all the nurses at the drive through testing areas wearing masks? Why do we see cancer patients and people with seriously compromised immune systems wearing masks long before this disease? I will put my money on believing that while a mask might not be 100%... it is some percent better than not wearing one.

From the American Cancer Society website:

”Avoid large crowds of people such as at schools, travel, shopping, social events, and public gatherings. If you have to be around a crowd, it's a good idea to wear a mask.“

The masks that nurses are wearing are being replaced often during a shift and they will also be wearing glasses or some kind of mask. The virus can enter your system through your mouth, nose and eyes.

Masks do help a little but you need to protect your eyes and replace them often. The other problem with masks is that it can make people touch their face more often to readjust.

Status
Not open for further replies.