Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry | Page 48 | Inside Universal Forums

Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ya I’m genuinely thinking/worried these parks won’t open this summer and it’ll have long last effects on future developments. Orlando and Florida as a whole haven’t seem to be taking the measures that NYC have and they’re expecting their peak in 3 weeks. I can’t see these parks just opening again as normal in anyway possible. Serious overall changes are going to have to be made. I fear this takes us into the fall for the parks, there’s no need for large gatherings until this is very much under control in the US and things aren’t even remotely close to that right now.

Totally unprecedented times

Theme parks companies might need to start making their own masks.

The PR backlash from a company giving vacationers mask while nurses and doctors don't have them in other parts of the country would be pretty severe. I could see a scenario where we get into businesses re-opening in parts of the country after their peak, while other parts of the country are still battling it. However, I can't see any masks being made not being funneled to the hospitals regardless the source.

There's also the issue of Theme parks being places where 10's of thousands of people gather and visit from across the country. Until it's controlled, really certain entertainment industries will continue to suffer. We have to avoid spreading this, and we need to have testing and PPE widely available before we even think of reopening the parks.

Reactions: Lucky Planet
There's also the issue of Theme parks being places where 10's of thousands of people gather and visit from across the country. Until it's controlled, really certain entertainment industries will continue to suffer. We have to avoid spreading this, and we need to have testing and PPE widely available before we even think of reopening the parks.
This. Theme parks are germ farms even in the healthiest of climates. It really, really, really sucks to say, but I think theme parks will be one of the very last things to come back online in the capacity we currently know and love.

Not sure that saying the parks are closed until an unspecified date while cutting off payment to staff on a specified date is a good idea. They're going to get pressured into paying them the entire period.

So 3 Galaxy's Edge's. Id expect no big expansions for the next decade or so at many of the parks assuming parks are closed through the summer, that's just so much $$$ to be made up.

They might have no choice but to expand if Epic Universe performs well. Can't have nothing to show for a decade when every little boy in the country wants to visit Nintendoland.

EDIT: This actually depends on whether Epic Universe takes away attendance from theme parks instead of adding it. I imagine Nintendo will bring many to Universal who have never had any interest in theme parks.

I’m shocked Disney would close indefinitely rather than just keep coming up with new (arbitrary) dates.

I’m assuming that means that you can’t book a Disney trip on their website for basically any day. It means the local hotels/restaurants/everything else has to follow suit.

I don’t even think Universal would go as far as an indefinite closure.

They might have no choice but to expand if Epic Universe performs well. Can't have nothing to show for a decade when every little boy in the country wants to visit Nintendoland.

EDIT: This actually depends on whether Epic Universe takes away attendance from theme parks instead of adding it. I imagine Nintendo will bring many to Universal who have never had any interest in theme parks.
Ya this is very true. Idk we’re so in the early stages of all this but it’s going to be hard to invest past what they have in the upcoming years. We shall see, UOR could hit lightning in a bottle and really snatch some of the Disney crowd with lower prices that they already offer and the upcoming recession. Might be the perfect time in 2023 for when people are vacationing again and everyone will wanna take a ride on Mario Kart.

Ya this is very true. Idk we’re so in the early stages of all this but it’s going to be hard to invest past what they have in the upcoming years. We shall see, UOR could hit lightning in a bottle and really snatch some of the Disney crowd with lower prices that they already offer and the upcoming recession. Might be the perfect time in 2023 for when people are vacationing again and everyone will wanna take a ride on Mario Kart.

I think Universal might still have a harder time than Disney till 2023 however. Disney has so many past and under construction expansions to advertise with over the coming years (Pandora, Toy Story Land, Star Wars Land, Mickey and Minnie, Ratatouille, Tron, Guardians Coaster). Many of these expansions are still new. Meanwhile, Universal, while they have opened many new rides, are still advertising to the public with Potter, Marvel, and probably Jurassic once that coaster opens.

I'm not a marketing expert, but it seems possible that the GP likely won't perceive that much has changed at Universal when the main IPs being marketed are still the same. Obviously Potter will still draw people, but even if WDW doesn't expand for the next few years, many of the latest offerings there have a sense of newness that will last a while.

Reactions: Cup_Of_Coffee
I get the feeling that Universal, NBC and for that matter Comcast, is really trying to do what's best for as many people as possible, whether it be the general public by offering news for free, or employees they're offering pay, or a chance to work from home when possible. This letter feels like it came from a genuine place.

I'm not a marketing expert, but it seems possible that the GP likely won't perceive that much has changed at Universal when the main IPs being marketed are still the same.

Opposed to Toy Story, Mickey, and Star Wars which have never been advertised as being part of Disney parks? Yeah I think you're combining two different things.

I just finished watching Bad Boys for Life and that was a lot of fun, I'd highly recommend it if you're a fan of the first two.

What's a little mind blowing is that it was a sequel released 17 years after the last, it was released in January and might actually have a chance of having the biggest box office in 2020.

Status
Not open for further replies.