Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry | Page 49 | Inside Universal Forums

Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Opposed to Toy Story, Mickey, and Star Wars which have never been advertised as being part of Disney parks? Yeah I think you're combining two different things.
With Ratatouille, Tron and Guardians of the Galaxy up next though, all new IPs for marketing purposes.

Reactions: Magic Feather

I saw SeaWorld trending on Twitter and had to give up reading the tweets after a minute out of nausea. Feel about SeaWorld any way you want, but don't celebrate 20,000 middle-class workers losing their jobs.

I saw SeaWorld trending on Twitter and had to give up reading the tweets after a minute out of nausea. Feel about SeaWorld any way you want, but don't celebrate 20,000 middle-class workers losing their jobs.

Had Facebook show me four TM friends in a row's posts about being out of work, so yeah, not a fan of that.

I'm thinking after the 18th/19th, Disney and Universal will likely furlough a decent amount of seasonal and part-time workers as well. Maybe full-timers get paid for another month?

It would be great of them to pay their employees through all of this, but it's impossible to know when this will end and right now they're paying people to do nothing, so at some point they just won't be able to justify that anymore. And with the relief bill now passed, furloughed workers will at least be able to claim unemployment and get something every month.

I'm thinking after the 18th/19th, Disney and Universal will likely furlough a decent amount of seasonal and part-time workers as well. Maybe full-timers get paid for another month?

It would be great of them to pay their employees through all of this, but it's impossible to know when this will end and right now they're paying people to do nothing, so at some point they just won't be able to justify that anymore. And with the relief bill now passed, furloughed workers will at least be able to claim unemployment and get something every month.
Weighing humanity and PR against the bottom line/survival of company is a tough decision.

Weighing humanity and PR against the bottom line/survival of company is a tough decision.
Hey, i'm just about as liberal as they come, but when you're taking a huge hit of billions and billions, paying tens of thousands of people for potentially months to not do anything for you is just not really feasible, as great as it would be. This is why there needs to be greater social safety nets in place in case of a national emergency like this. The government shouldn't be spending up to $4.5 TRILLION bailing out big corporations when the poor to lower middle class is what needs the most help.

And yes, it is up to $4.5 trillion, not a typo. The overall bill is a potential $6.5T bill. There's the initial money allocated for bailouts (I believe $500B) and then there's a locked away $4 trillion extra that would have to be approved for corporate bailouts later on. This bill on the whole is really pretty bad for the working person, especially since it's based on your 2018 taxes. What if someone was killing it in 2018 and had a great job, but got fired or whatever and made wayyyy less in 2019? They wouldn't qualify for the $1200 because it's based on 2018's taxes, which would royally screw them over.

This is one of the few times I would say everyone who makes $1M or less should get money. Everyone. That basically ensures that everyone who needs money gets it. But even in this bill, that's not the case because undocumented immigrants (who file ITIN's for tax purposes) are not going to get any money out of this bill. Undocumented immigrants make up roughly 10% of the service industry, one of the roughest hit areas economically.

Hey, i'm just about as liberal as they come, but when you're taking a huge hit of billions and billions, paying tens of thousands of people for potentially months to not do anything for you is just not really feasible, as great as it would be. This is why there needs to be greater social safety nets in place in case of a national emergency like this. The government shouldn't be spending up to $4.5 TRILLION bailing out big corporations when the poor to lower middle class is what needs the most help.

And yes, it is up to $4.5 trillion, not a typo. The overall bill is a potential $6.5T bill. There's the initial money allocated for bailouts (I believe $500B) and then there's a locked away $4 trillion extra that would have to be approved for corporate bailouts later on. This bill on the whole is really pretty bad for the working person, especially since it's based on your 2018 taxes. What if someone was killing it in 2018 and had a great job, but got fired or whatever and made wayyyy less in 2019? They wouldn't qualify for the $1200 because it's based on 2018's taxes, which would royally screw them over.

This is one of the few times I would say everyone who makes $1M or less should get money. Everyone. That basically ensures that everyone who needs money gets it. But even in this bill, that's not the case because undocumented immigrants (who file ITIN's) are not going to get any money out of this bill. Undocumented immigrants make up roughly 10% of the service industry, one of the roughest hit areas economically.

The real benefit for the lower and middle class is that unemployment boost. The fed are adding $600 a week on top of the regular unemployment for up to 4 months. That's going to be $1000 a week in most states. For a lot of people this will be a raise. There will be people who aren't laid off will ask to be once they realize it. Then people will not want to come back off it later.

Reactions: Lucky Planet
The real benefit for the lower and middle class is that unemployment boost. The fed are adding $600 a week on top of the regular unemployment for up to 4 months. That's going to be $1000 a week in most states. For a lot of people this will be a raise. There will be people who aren't laid off will ask to be once they realize it. Then people will not want to come back off it later.
I'm not saying that that isn't good. Universal and Disney furloughing their workers actually makes more sense for both sides when you think about it. But if you're going to be spending the type of money that they are, there are other ways they could've helped the lower/middle class and instead it went to bailouts. For one, they could've allocated money for extra homeless shelters all across america, as the number of homeless is almost guaranteed to increase.

Reactions: youhow2
I'm not saying that that isn't good. Universal and Disney furloughing their workers actually makes more sense for both sides when you think about it. But if you're going to be spending the type of money that they are, there are other ways they could've helped the lower/middle class and instead it went to bailouts. For one, they could've allocated money for extra homeless shelters all across america, as the number of homeless is almost guaranteed to increase.

If small and large businesses fail or have to do massive cutbacks because of this, those people will be out of jobs. It makes more sense to make sure the companies are viable after this than it does to let the companies fail and give people money for a few months.

If small and large businesses fail or have to do massive cutbacks because of this, those people will be out of jobs. It makes more sense to make sure the companies are viable after this than it does to let the companies fail and give people money for a few months.
I’m not saying don’t bail some out, but you can do two things at once.

Reactions: Frogki
Universal should be in one of the easiest positions to postpone their next park and allocate cash to invest in current parks to keep things afloat. The depression is gonna crush everyone.

I just finished watching Bad Boys for Life and that was a lot of fun, I'd highly recommend it if you're a fan of the first two.

What's a little mind blowing is that it was a sequel released 17 years after the last, it was released in January and might actually have a chance of having the biggest box office in 2020.

Best film at next year's Oscars will be Bad Boys, Sonic or Invisible Man at this rate...

This is a few days old, but was never brought up and is a fairly significant move. All staff, including corporate and the CEO, have been furloughed at AMC Theaters. I think this really underscores how bad things are for them and kind of gives some credence to what people have been saying about them possibly not making it through this.

Status
Not open for further replies.