Future of Shrek Attraction | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

Future of Shrek Attraction

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

At Universal Orlando would you close Shrek 4-D?

• Yes

Votes: 65 64.4%
  • No

Votes: 13 12.9%
  • Update/New ride for Shrek franchise

Votes: 23 22.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
At first, I remembered the crappy ride system, strange movie and lackluster experience. I thought Universal could do better, especially if there's going to be a licensing battle with Merlin.

But then I read the discussion and realized that the Merlin purchase IS a good sign for Shrek. I wish I could change my vote to "Update/New ride"

I think a dark ride is desperately needed!!! An amazing, funny, dark ride would work wonders for Universal. They need a ride you can take an infant on -My sister can carry her infant on any of Disney's Omni-mover rides. Universal needs that. And Shrek is used everywhere for Universal's advertising, they like him too much. Great discussion here!

Here's the thing. I've been saying for a long time that changing the facade and updating the video on Uni Creative time is the equivalent of about 6-7 months of work, if that. Change it to a property that also has a huge following (a.k.a. How to Train Your Dragon). As someone had mentioned before, the entire storyline for Shrek 4-D doesn't necessarily scream out continuity (along with the pre-show) so keeping the entire theater premise and changing the ride (Jimmy Neutron to DM style) should be something they can do to announce a new children's ride while they gear up for Kong at IOA.

New video and storyline wont happen without dreamworks, and it doesnt look like that relationship is working out well. Its a great IP and great with taking in large amounts of people. Expect to see an update in chairs, Video/sound quality, interior and exterior within the coming years

- - - Updated - - -

At first, I remembered the crappy ride system, strange movie and lackluster experience. I thought Universal could do better, especially if there's going to be a licensing battle with Merlin.

But then I read the discussion and realized that the Merlin purchase IS a good sign for Shrek. I wish I could change my vote to "Update/New ride"

I think a dark ride is desperately needed!!! An amazing, funny, dark ride would work wonders for Universal. They need a ride you can take an infant on -My sister can carry her infant on any of Disney's Omni-mover rides. Universal needs that. And Shrek is used everywhere for Universal's advertising, they like him too much. Great discussion here!

No new ride will be coming for same IP unless if its for JP, Suess, or if possible Marvel. AS said before, we can expect this to be last HP ride (and it will be amazing), then the quest for new, fresh IP's, creative Ideas and time proven IP's in the form of shows/movies or even books (Think IOA and TL) will continue

New video and storyline wont happen without dreamworks, and it doesnt look like that relationship is working out well. Its a great IP and great with taking in large amounts of people. Expect to see an update in chairs, Video/sound quality, interior and exterior within the coming years

Refresh my memory, but why are Universal and Dreamworks not getting along?

I don't think they are having issues, as far as we know Universal Orlando was never interested in Madagascar and Busch was the highest bidder at the time, plus we have no idea what the contract holds for Busch and Madagascar. As far as Shrek goes even though some of us may not like it vacationers love it, I think most of us don't like it because we see it as dated, while most guests experience it for the first time. Not to mention that thing is a real people eater and puts them in one place for a long time. Personally I hope whatever they do replace it with is something worthy of being right at the front of the park.

Realistically Shrek should be updated to encapsulate the entire series. It's the highest grossing animated series, which says a lot about it's lasting power.

I think Shrek has run its course. They should be thinking about the replacement at this point. A really well done 4D movie and re-theme the building, and they're good to go.

Shrek was the first to win best animated movie at the Oscars. Shrek is still very popular in pop culture. However I agree that ride needs to go or they can make a new film and better special effects. Shrek needs to stay at all cost. I find it hilarious after more flops then hits dream works wants to go back to shrek after how they dismissed it and gave it a horrible ending. I hope Mike, Eddie and Camren return.
Back to shrek at universal I would love for a far far away land. Can someone give more details about the dream works/universal relationship ? I don't buy Madagascar being the reason it's popular but it isn't worthy of a very bad dispute between 2 companies IMO.

Last edited:
Shrek was the first to win best animated movie at the Oscars. Shrek is still very popular in pop culture. However I agree that ride needs to go or they can make a new film and better special effects. Shrek needs to stay at all cost. I find it hilarious after more flops then hits dream works wants to go back to shrek after how they dismissed it and gave it a horrible ending. I hope Mike, Eddie and Camren return.
Back to shrek at universal I would love for a far far away land. Can someone give more details about the dream works/universal relationship ? I don't buy Madagascar being the reason it's popular but it isn't worthy of a very bad dispute between 2 companies IMO.

We've never gotten a legit reason(s), but some of our best insiders including HTF have consistently denied any potential expansion in Universal Orlando with a DreamWorks property because the two sides are no longer on the same page. We don't know why, but it is safe to rule out anything new coming here from DreamWorks.

I think the reputation of the Shrek brand took a hit when they made too many sequels. I enjoyed Shrek 4D when it first opened as there was only the one movie. The more and more movies they made, the more labored and repetitive the attraction jokes seemed. Now I can't stand the show and hate being dragged into it when visiting with family.

Definitely needs to be replaced with something more recent.

The Shrek franchise is dated, the last "Shrek" (excluding Puss In Boots) film was in 2010. Although they are making a Shrek 5, but the date is TBA, they could revamp the show film to feature more recent characters in the franchise.

Or completely tear down the sound-stage and build Super Silly Fun Land (like at the Hollywood Minion Mayhem).

They've recently added some new Shrek merchandise in the store, including Ogre Fionas, the Three Blind Mice, and Shrek-themed candies.

I'm reading these additions as Universal not planning to get rid of Shrek anytime soon.

Or completely tear down the sound-stage and build Super Silly Fun Land (like at the Hollywood Minion Mayhem).

I'm sorry, but I really hope they don't tear the attraction down to put up a play area for kids. Not that I don't think Uni needs more kids attractions because it most certainly does, but they should put up another attraction, not an area.

And contrary to belief, so is Shrek. Despicable Me is simply the newer franchise. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I think one Despicable Me attraction is more than sufficient.

Plus they could always end the underperforming BMG show and put SSFL. A family Omnimover through Universal's classic films should be added in its place

Plus they could always end the underperforming BMG show and put SSFL. A family Omnimover through Universal's classic films should be added in its place

I think attractions like this are outdated for Universal...They have moved on to very detailed, high tech, state of the art attractions based on a single movie or tv show