Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway (DHS)

I went and checked on Magic, and I'm fairly certain the 3600 number is in relation to the Peoplemover, because Martin drops that number in the middle of a conversation about that ride's capacity.

So it would appear to be a false alarm. I knew it was too good to be true.

I figured but lets continue the thought exercise.

This concept art looks like three or four people per row...
1203_n13_disney_mickey_minnie_runaway_railway

Ok let’s use that and use two other pieces of info I forgot we had.

Runaway-Railway-layout09-690x460.jpg

From Alicia we can see that the ride will have single load, so that throws my dual load concept out of the window.

Now, from your concept art I remember that someone idiotically uploaded a bunch of proprietary assembly and design documents for the ride vehicles on Dropbox! Thanks improper IP handling! So the lap bar is 72.5" wide, the average male shoulder width is 16.1". Using some math and it's 4.5 shoulder widths per row. I'll round down to 4 people per row for THRC.

Knowing that the ride loads one train at a time and the new 32 guests per train figure a new train will need to be dispatched every 32 seconds (arrive, load, check, dispatch) which isn't tenable. So lets mess around some.

Lets drop this capacity to 2400, roughly the old GMR capacity and we get a train every 48 seconds. Better and matches that likely minimum dispatch internal. Dropping capacity to 2000 gives us 57.6 second dispatch intervals. This feels even more likely the goal of Disney. For a one minute dispatch interval the THRC would be 1920.

So assuming 32 ride guests per train (4 per row, 2 rows per car, 4 cars per train) dispatching every 60 seconds gives us 1920 guests an hour. Also dispatch intervals of 48 seconds with 3 guests per row is 1800 guests an hour. So I believe actual capacity will be around 1800 guests an hour.

Some of you are cracking me up here. How about we wait until we know what the ride length, amount of vehicles and dispatch times are before saying “no way” from a trusted inside.
Also amusing that the same skeptical people are the ones who were telling us without any skepticism what Hagrid’s max was of 13-14 trains. But, of course, tHiS iS DiZnEy!

Reasonable people knew those were always the total amount of trains Universal has on hand and we tried to emphasize that. Disney and Universal have more cars on hand than they use so they can perform rolling maintenance. All trustworthy sources claimed a top of 12 trains at one time on the ride as designed. Some said "no way gotta be 8" and others saying "probably a few less". I was on the count for saying TTD was designed for 6 trains and runs with 5, so two or three less than designed. Right now the ride is running around 10 with 11 during a UC event.

We shouldn't wait till it opens to call BS on a number 25% higher than one of Disney's highest capacity attractions ever created anymore than someone claiming BS on a claim it has the capacity of Astro Orbiter.

I went and checked on Magic, and I'm fairly certain the 3600 number is in relation to the Peoplemover, because Martin drops that number in the middle of a conversation about that ride's capacity.

So it would appear to be a false alarm. I knew it was too good to be true.
Good lookin out :thumbsup:

I figured but lets continue the thought exercise.

Ok let’s use that and use two other pieces of info I forgot we had.

Runaway-Railway-layout09-690x460.jpg

From Alicia we can see that the ride will have single load, so that throws my dual load concept out of the window.

Now, from your concept art I remember that someone idiotically uploaded a bunch of proprietary assembly and design documents for the ride vehicles on Dropbox! Thanks improper IP handling! So the lap bar is 72.5" wide, the average male shoulder width is 16.1". Using some math and it's 4.5 shoulder widths per row. I'll round down to 4 people per row for THRC.

Knowing that the ride loads one train at a time and the new 32 guests per train figure a new train will need to be dispatched every 32 seconds (arrive, load, check, dispatch) which isn't tenable. So lets mess around some.

Lets drop this capacity to 2400, roughly the old GMR capacity and we get a train every 48 seconds. Better and matches that likely minimum dispatch internal. Dropping capacity to 2000 gives us 57.6 second dispatch intervals. This feels even more likely the goal of Disney. For a one minute dispatch interval the THRC would be 1920.

So assuming 32 ride guests per train (4 per row, 2 rows per car, 4 cars per train) dispatching every 60 seconds gives us 1920 guests an hour. Also dispatch intervals of 48 seconds with 3 guests per row is 1800 guests an hour. So I believe actual capacity will be around 1800 guests an hour.

Reasonable people knew those were always the total amount of trains Universal has on hand and we tried to emphasize that. Disney and Universal have more cars on hand than they use so they can perform rolling maintenance. All trustworthy sources claimed a top of 12 trains at one time on the ride as designed. Some said "no way gotta be 8" and others saying "probably a few less". I was on the count for saying TTD was designed for 6 trains and runs with 5, so two or three less than designed. Right now the ride is running around 10 with 11 during a UC event.

We shouldn't wait till it opens to call BS on a number 25% higher than one of Disney's highest capacity attractions ever created anymore than someone claiming BS on a claim it has the capacity of Astro Orbiter.

If this was "Wayne's World", we'd be bowing before you and saying, "We're not worthy, we're not worthy!!"

not sure if the post prior to me is showing this because it says error, but today they revealed another movie poster in the queue for a short. they’ve already done it for prior ones like Split Descision, Mumbai Madness, Tokyo Drift and Wish Upon a Coin.

Wonder if we'll get softs for this at all. Recent history at WDW says no. The last thing to open at WDW with significant softs was New Fantasyland (which had about 2 full months of softs in 2012). Since then...

• SDMT soft opened on the 24 hour day, officially opened a week later
  • Frozen had no softs
  • Pandora only had DVC/AP softs
  • TSL had about a few hours of softs the day before official opening
  • SWGE/Smuggler's Run didn't have any softs (outside of high tier AP softs)
  • No softs for RotR

Last edited:
Wonder if we'll get softs for this at all. Recent history at WDW says no. The last thing to open at WDW with significant softs was New Fantasyland (which had about 2 full months of softs in 2012). Since then...

• SDMT soft opened on the 24 hour day, officially opened a week later
  • Frozen had no softs
  • Pandora only had DVC/AP softs
  • TSL had about a few hours of softs the day before official opening
  • SWGE/Smuggler's Run didn't have any softs
  • No softs for RotR
Nice compilation :thumbsup: ....WDW seems to be a "Gamblin Man" nowadays.:lol:

I wonder if Runaway Railway was originally supposed to open later. They might be just running up to the wire.
It was originally supposed to open last fall, they're late :lol:

But seriously, based on everything i've heard, it sounds like this ride is running pretty good and it's a good sign that Stand-by and FP+ will be there from Day 1 as that means it's being reliable. There was internal debate for awhile on whether they should do boarding groups for it so i'm optimistic.

They just really need to run it with CMs. Keep up the hype and get those lines photos.
I'm not disagreeing that CM Previews should happen. However, CM Previews are done sort of like a virtual queue. You sign up and if you get a spot, you are given a slot to ride within a certain window on a certain day. That's fine and it gets reactions out there on socials, but nothing can prepare a ride as much for an opening day as guest softs can, which happen at random and better simulate what the stresses in terms of demand will be rather than scheduled previews.

I'm not disagreeing that CM Previews should happen. However, CM Previews are done sort of like a virtual queue. You sign up and if you get a spot, you are given a slot to ride within a certain window on a certain day. That's fine and it gets reactions out there on socials, but nothing can prepare a ride as much for an opening day as guest softs can, which happen at random and better simulate what the stresses in terms of demand will be rather than scheduled previews.

Oh you sign up for slots? I was assuming it'd be first come first serve sorta thing.

It was originally supposed to open last fall, they're late :lol:

But seriously, based on everything i've heard, it sounds like this ride is running pretty good and it's a good sign that Stand-by and FP+ will be there from Day 1 as that means it's being reliable. There was internal debate for awhile on whether they should do boarding groups for it so i'm optimistic.

The real last thing is if it's any good or not.

I'm finding it impossible to gauge people's perception of what this is going to be.

Some people are pissed it's replacing it's GMR
Some people think it's a kids ride
Some people think it's going to be ground breaking tech
Some people are excited because it's Mickey
Some people don't know about it

I can't remember a ride opening that has been all over the place like this.

I've been following this from the start, the early tech previews were wildly impressive and I can't wait to see it looks in person.

Speaking of how it looks in person, I have a feeling that the vloggers are going to make this an impossible ride during the early opening as they try to capture their POVs which will probably look terrible.

Oh you sign up for slots? I was assuming it'd be first come first serve sorta thing.
From the BlogMickey article:
"This morning, we now know that registration for the previews will open on February 17th, with Cast Member previews beginning on February 22nd. Cast Member previews will last through March 2nd"

I'm finding it impossible to gauge people's perception of what this is going to be.

I've been following this from the start, the early tech previews were wildly impressive and I can't wait to see it looks in person.

Speaking of how it looks in person, I have a feeling that the vloggers are going to make this an impossible ride during the early opening as they try to capture their POVs which will probably look terrible.
Disney better hope the ride is good since they're building two more of these things :lol:

I've been excited for this ride since they announced what it was to be. It looks like a real 'FUN' ride. I loved GMR, but this should be a nice replacement. Plus, it's bound to be super popular. I could never understand why Mickey never got a D/E ticket ride before.

I've been excited for this ride since they announced what it was to be. It looks like a real 'FUN' ride. I loved GMR, but this should be a nice replacement. Plus, it's bound to be super popular. I could never understand why Mickey never got a D/E ticket ride before.
There was a Mickey ride planned for Toontown years ago (90s), but that's all I can even think of that even got close.

Don’t forget,”some people hate the Mickey et al character designs used.”