Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run (DHS)

I hope this ride is good, mostly because a disappointing ride in the Falcon would be a huge bummer, as it's the most no-brainer experience for a Star Wars ride. I'll be interested to see what the final interactivity feels like. To me, reading experiences, it sounds like it may be more distracting and limiting than fun, which would be a bummer. I almost wonder if the Mission:Space "interactivity" would have been the better route to take, but I need to ride it in December to see what it's really like

EDIT: In response to Joe above, I am definitely disappointed that it's not fully interactive for the pilots. It would be goofy,sure, but ti'd be fun. I think that could have been cool, but probably unrealistic. I just hope this ride is *fun* at the very least, especially for the people not in the front

I love the idea of being able to fully pilot the Millennium Falcon but it doesn’t really work in the real world. When the land is open to everybody and you’re waiting hours for your turn and you have a 33% chance of being a pilot plus the majority of the time it’s going to be piloted by somebody who doesn’t really have a clue what they’re doing.

The truth is the fanboys and skeptics will never be happy!

It needs to be more interactive!!!
Oh wait...it’s too interactive and my ride experience is ruined!
We need to be able to push lots of buttons!
Oh wait...pushing buttons actually distracts from watching the ride film!

Literally there is no “win” when it comes to our current culture of over expectations and entitlement.

Disney made an interactive Falcon ride in an extremely detailed ride vehicle. Is that not enough?

Didn't early reports say that if you did well you got to the hanger and the ride was shorter. Wouldn't the flip side of that be you didn't do well, didn't make it to the hangar, and crashed the Falcon? That could be what they were talking about. It may not be what everyone assumed when they hear crashed the Falcon, but assumptions aren't always reality.

People need to temper their expectations, in general. This is still a ride. There still has to be a general experience that everyone can participate in. No one should've ever expected to pilot the Falcon freely. They have the challenge to tow a line between making you feel like you're experiencing Star Wars in-universe while making an enjoyable AND interactive ride. Additionally, this ride is probably the most interactive that we've seen yet, from my knowledge. I think people are expecting a video game when they really need to be expecting an interactive ride.

People fell for Disney PR insanity again. It works every time.

ALthough I sure hope RotR and/or MMRR can live up to the hype.

I'm sure that Disney has taken into account that people who don't know what they're doing/don't speak english/are not interested in participating

Either that or it will be a disaster

It'll be a hoot on Brazilian tour time.

Disney fans for years claimed you could crash the Falcon if you piloted it wrong. That if you did poorly then the CMs and characters in the land would know and talk to you about it. And all of it is total BS. Disney fans did this to themselves.

EXACTLY. And not just Disney fans, but those supposedly IN THE KNOW people. Who weren't so in the know. I was attacked plenty for saying BS months ago on a lot of stuff that was BS.

I think that claim was more often met with extreme skepticism by most fans, because to believe you could "crash" has always been operationally illogical if you really think it through.

To the extent that anybody may have ever believed this, I put blame on folks like Jim Hill, who floated the notion that "programmers keep crashing the Falcon!" Even though he had to know there was no way that would ever be an option on the final ride.

This is my concern.

If I'm stuck as an engineer with terrible pilots and gunners, it sounds like the majority of my ride is going to be focused on flashing lights and switches off to the side, rather than on the "action" view out the front of the cockpit.

Don't worry, you'll barely be able to see anything anyway!

Last edited by a moderator:
If the ride isn’t fun? No, it’s not.

I hope it is! But all the detail and interactivity in the world don’t matter if it’s not a fun ride.

I don’t know how climbing into the falcon and pretending to fly it wouldn’t be fun in the first place.

I get the social anxiety / awkwardness of being with a group of strangers and trying to solve a “problem” , but that kind of feels in tune with what the films were about.

I don’t know how climbing into the falcon and pretending to fly it wouldn’t be fun in the first place.

I get the social anxiety / awkwardness of being with a group of strangers and trying to solve a “problem” , but that kind of feels in tune with what the films were about.

So, how long until there is a "Green" side with the buttons turned off?

At that point, just build the Falcon as a walkaround experience and call it a day....

One can enjoy being able to be in the cockpit of the Falcon and still feel the ride is either good or bad.

At that point, just build the Falcon as a walkaround experience and call it a day....

One can enjoy being able to be in the cockpit of the Falcon and still feel the ride is either good or bad.

Why? The Falcon ride basically is a walk around experience with the ability to actually “fly” it.

Like all theme park rides, the 3+ hour wait will probably sour the experience and leave people disappointed, but is that Disney’s fault or the fault of those that over inflate their expectations based on the demand or popularity of the attraction?

Why? The Falcon ride basically is a walk around experience with the ability to actually “fly” it.

Like all theme park rides, the 3+ hour wait will probably sour the experience and leave people disappointed, but is that Disney’s fault or the fault of those that over inflate their expectations based on the demand or popularity of the attraction?

Can't give an honest answer until I experience, along with more reviews coming in. It's probably a mix. Hardcore Fans wanting this to "kill" Potter, Disney wanting it to "beat" Potter. Anything bad about this ride is going to be amplified initially since it's the only one opening with the land.

Anything bad about this ride is going to be amplified initially since it's the only one opening with the land.

That was one of the initial things that seemed so odd to me about opening the land incomplete. If you're opening both headliners at once, neither one has to shoulder the responsibility of being a focal point or a centerpiece. They'd compliment each other.

Now, however, the initial first impression of the land most have will be entirely dependent on Smuggler's Run.

What would early reactions to Pandora have been if only Na'vi River Journey was open?

What if they just made the ride without all the interactive elements and made it more thrilling? Would it still have worked out well?

Can't say until we ride. :lol:

Then everyone would stay it was Star Tours v3 and complain about that. People made that claim on here when it was reported that they were toning down the interactivity. Disney can’t win.

This was always going to be under an intense microscope. It's unfair to Disney, but they also knew what they were up against. I always said too much muchness might be the biggest problem of the land and the initial CM reports indicate that could very well be the case.

Can't say until we ride. :lol:

This was always going to be under an intense microscope. It's unfair to Disney, but they also knew what they were up against. I always said too much muchness might be the biggest problem of the land and the initial CM reports indicate that could very well be the case.

I think you nailed it above regarding amplifying this attraction more then it was meant to be due to the other ride not being ready. This is now the headliner until the actual headliner opens... it will never meet those expectations. But I think if you wrap the entire land experience into the falcon then the expectations can be met. It’s not just about one or two rides, it’s about the entire experience.

Really not a fan of the splitting up at all, that's definitely not gonna go over well for lot's of people. It was a really bold decision and i hope it works for them but most People wanna ride with their families, and i hope whether good or bad pilot the experience is worth the hours waiting.