MSHI Expansion? | Page 91 | Inside Universal Forums

MSHI Expansion?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
With a new nighttime show at USF next year, could this be a test for a Dinner buffet for USF as well? If it's a big hit it will definitely be added to USF.
Anyone else remember before Monsters Cafe, when the Studio Stars restaurant was actually a buffet? Had pastas, carved meats, salads, etc. After just a couple years the quality was toned down to just spaghetti and terrible pizzas, salads. And then became what it is now. For the first two years the park was opened though, it was a really good buffet.

Reactions: tankart150
Anyone else remember before Monsters Cafe, when the Studio Stars restaurant was actually a buffet? Had pastas, carved meats, salads, etc. After just a couple years the quality was toned down to just spaghetti and terrible pizzas, salads. And then became what it is now. For the first two years the park was opened though, it was a really good buffet.

Didn't know that.

I would think converting Cafe la Bamba to have character buffets thru out the day (Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner could work. Although maybe Uni is just waiting to have more hotel rooms as Portofino/Royal Pacific already have character dining.

Reactions: Alicia

I remember when it was called The Commissary back when the park first opened :p

From what I've heard this Character dining has brand new food that is really good. This indeed is a test to be rolled out to other areas of the parks, specifically targeted to keep guests in the parks longer in the evenings.

From what I've heard this Character dining has brand new food that is really good. This indeed is a test to be rolled out to other areas of the parks, specifically targeted to keep guests in the parks longer in the evenings.
All good news. Very good news. Later hours. Better foods. Upcharge character interactions.... Someone's learning from Disney.

Reactions: LJGonz and Andysol
Now bring on the dessert parties!

I'm still curious why they haven't rolled any out in the VIP viewing area above the Fallon Bathrooms. Is it just not big enough? Mannheim would've been a decent test market. Certainly Mardis Gras.

I'm not going to say that's impossible- because I had my first good one at the Wave during Irma. Yes, I've eaten at mediocre Boma as well- the "gold standard" of Disney Buffets that is still, alas, a Disney Buffet. But being a buffet, I'd really tamper my expectations.

Reactions: SeventyOne
I'm still curious why they haven't rolled any out in the VIP viewing area above the Fallon Bathrooms. Is it just not big enough? Mannheim would've been a decent test market. Certainly Mardis Gras.
Yea, that balcony viewing area is a really small space, and I think it was built for celebrities/higher ups from Comcast in mind, not general public. Small gatherings and private events can be held in that second floor area, but I don't think there's enough room for very much guest flow, even if paying lots of money as individuals, to be worth the effort of manning it with staff, etc.

I'm not going to say that's impossible- because I had my first good one at the Wave during Irma. Yes, I've eaten at mediocre Boma as well- the "gold standard" of Disney Buffets that is still, alas, a Disney Buffet. But being a buffet, I'd really tamper my expectations.
I like Cape May. Gimme lots of clams and I'm, well, happy as a clam.

Yea, that balcony viewing area is a really small space, and I think it was built for celebrities/higher ups from Comcast in mind, not general public. Small gatherings and private events can be held in that second floor area, but I don't think there's enough room for very much guest flow, even if paying lots of money as individuals, to be worth the effort of manning it with staff, etc.

I like Cape May. Gimme lots of clams and I'm, well, happy as a clam.

Yea, the balcony is meant for super high ups and celebs. I don't think it's available to rent. Just a "Hey Dwayne Johnson, let's watch the concert from our private balcony

Alright, Mr. Moneybags. We get it. But they should have restaurants that don't cater only to the super rich... Maybe they could have a coupon day or something.

I’d like to see something similar to the Disney dining plan. I could wish for the SeaWorld dining plan but Universal aren’t in trouble so it’s never going to happen.

I find this kind of funny to be honest. These are still technically Disney owned characters. So it's like a Disney Style Meet and Greet dining experience in a UOR park. The big difference ....a photo is included, instead of extra $$

Yeah, because Universal's Islands of Adventure owns the rights to these characters before Disney's acquisition of Marvel lol. Spider-Man, Avengers, X-Men, and F4, as well as their related allies and villians, cannot be used by Disney World. I think there's a vast difference between the comic book-style characters and the real-life action ones so you could barely see the same characters.

I’d like to see something similar to the Disney dining plan. I could wish for the SeaWorld dining plan but Universal aren’t in trouble so it’s never going to happen.

I would too- their dining plan option is pretty subpar. I only bother with it in September with the buy one get one 50% off. Otherwise, the $1 or $2 potential savings per plan just isn't worth dealing with 20 cards I have to carry around.

Heck- just in typing that, thats the worst part- the cards. It's unreasonable to expect a family to get the dining plan with that amount of cards.

Seaworlds all day plan is ridiculously awesome- love it. Although I never see value in Disney's dining plans (see: I hate buffets post)- but their deluxe plan- and the trick I use as a DVC member is certainly something I do everytime until the loophole is closed. I'll bet I get $3-4k value in food my trip coming up here in 2 weeks.

I guess what I'm saying is- Universal needs to consolidate their dining plan into an easier to use system that links to a single card. And; subsequently, allowing me to find a way to cheat. :D

Reactions: Scott W.
Alright, Mr. Moneybags. We get it. But they should have restaurants that don't cater only to the super rich... Maybe they could have a coupon day or something.

I've been tempted to walk in at around 4pm and ask what they do with all the left over food. I imagine it just gets thrown out?

What they could do is keep the buffet going through dinner time but make it an upscale restaurant that's open to the GP.