NBC Media Center | Page 14 | Inside Universal Forums

NBC Media Center

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I enjoy doing the previews, when it isn't dreck like that Bible series NBC just cancelled. Watching that was NOT worth the twenty bucks.

Reactions: Mad Dog
@TimTracker just posted some pictures of the inside. It looks nice for what it is but I was still hoping for a museum up until the very end. It actually reminds me of a school or something.

CJRTZ1FXAAAoOGt.jpg

CJRTZ1KWEAAhgOM.jpg

CJRTZ1MWcAA6yhz.jpg

In the end, I am just happy to see the building used and used in a way that retains its quiet Mediterranean dignity. It will put some energy in an area that was a bit too serene for its own good. I always wanted to move in and have friends over for sunny drinks on the terrace. :)
Personally, I think a few quiet spots throughout a park are what make one enchanting.

You are both so right. The quiet spots are the jewels of the park. We often lay sprawled on a Studio's Central Park bench and take a well deserved break, and suck up the park's ambiance. And we do the same at IOA in front of the Discovery Center or the deck behind Popeye's. There we lay on the walls since there aren't benches.

They opened today and I just happened to be walking by while they were looking for volunteers!

Inside is a big wall of monitors showing off all the different Television brands the company owns and runs. There is a reception desk and waiting area for filling out your paperwork. In the middle is a big room with over 50 computer stations, each with headphones and equipment to monitor you while you watch a program. And there's also some conference rooms perfect for focus groups, and they even have their own restroom in here. They told me they'll be using this space for movie previews and other media focus groups throughout the whole year, not just for fall TV shows.

For volunteering to watch a TV show today I was offered $15. They sat me down and started setting up. They strapped a thing to my wrist and three little sensors to fingers on my left hand. They're for monitoring my heart rate and skin conductivity/moisture levels during the program. There's also a video camera recording my face the entire time, and even a sensor that watches where my eyes are looking on the screen. It's all pretty high-tech, and far more advanced then just a dial to turn right if you like something or left if you don't. Plus, this way is more honest, especially considering it's essentially a lie detector. After it was over I caught a glimpse of several line graphs on the screen, depicting my various life-signs from while I was watching. Pretty neat. Before the program started the computer showed me a few short videos of serene nature scenes and then roller coasters. I assume this was to get baselines of my stats for calm and excited.

Here's a few images, but much more on my blog post.

P1040770-1024x768.jpg

P1040769-1024x768.jpg

P1040759-1024x768.jpg

P1040774-1024x768.jpg

P1040775-1024x768.jpg

P1040778-1024x768.jpg

P1040782-1024x768.jpg

P1040788-1024x768.jpg

With the new set-up not only are they able to do more previews than before, but because it looks so nice and inviting they'll probably have an easier time finding recruits. Sure it's not a new Universal museum or small attraction like we were all hoping for, but it's a nice looking building and at least it isn't in any way an eyesore where it is. More pics and info on my blog.

You are both so right. The quiet spots are the jewels of the park. We often lay sprawled on a Studio's Central Park bench and take a well deserved break, and suck up the park's ambiance. And we do the same at IOA in front of the Discovery Center or the deck behind Popeye's. There we lay on the walls since there aren't benches.

I think what I like most is that I can still find these spots that take you away from a crowded park even during An event like HHN

Reactions: Mad Dog
Yikes, do they also have your eyes pulled open like in A Clockwork Orange?

Kind of... you're not allowed to move, or even scratch your face... unless absolutely necessary. I was warned not to budge.

A Clockwork Orange definitely crossed my mind while they were strapping me in.

Did you have to watch a full 30 minute (ok 24 minute show without commercials) show? If so $15 for that much time wouldn't really be worth it to me, give me some free drink vouchers too and we can talk.