Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion | Page 82 | Inside Universal Forums

Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate the qualifier "Anything is an improvement". A pile of warm crap would be better than what's in Imagination right now. Doesn't mean I want it.

You are right, and I am not trying to be weak-kneed. Its not a pass, and without question investing in that pavilion for a television show that could be out of mind in 6 years would be fool hardy.

However, something has to be done, and in an environment with many large scale projects competing for funding in other parks, I would be happy to see them justify an investment in the pavilion. It is unpopular, but I felt the same way with Nemo. No one is more upset and heartbroken over the retreat that started in 1994 with Future World, but we will never be able to go back to that in the next 10 years, minimum. So if they can prevent TLS or JII from going the way of WoL with this, then so be it. It’s short term, while waiting for a long term solution.

If the rumor is b.s., then none of it matters anyways. I'll go back 2 posts, last I read, FW was the lowest priority, so any rumor is probably just that.

- - - Updated - - -

Same here, I'm waiting for insiders to confirm it (same with Carsland)

UPDATE: Lee at WDWMagic has said this is a false rumor.

No big deal then.. I guess it is good news then! haha, it's a relief that Disney is NOT investing in JII.

No big deal then.. I guess it is good news then! haha, it's a relief that Disney is NOT investing in JII.

Imagination isn't off the hook yet. Imagineers (including Lasseter) have recently been looking around the pavillion. Lee said it could possibly be based off the mind related Pixar movie.

http://wdwnews.com/releases/2013/02/14/experiencing-the-magic-2/

AVATAR -Walt Disney Imagineers are currently in the design stage for AVATAR at Disney’s Animal Kingdom.Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Worldwide is joining forces with visionary filmmaker James Cameron and Fox Filmed Entertainment to bring the world of AVATAR to life creating themed lands that will give Guests the opportunity to explore the mysterious universe of AVATAR first hand. With its emphasis on living in harmony with nature, Disney’s Animal Kingdom is a natural fit for the AVATAR stories, which share the same philosophy. Construction is expected begin in 2013 and project of this size typically takes approximately five years to design and build.

Posted the full article on this thread http://www.orlandounited.com/forums/showthread.php?7757-Disney-Experiencing-the-Magic

What's hilarious is that I just re watched the Discovery Channel special on EE the other day. They specifically harped on how designing the ride used to take 3–5 years, but can be accomplished in months with new technology. And this was back in the mid 2000s.

:doh:

To me, this seems like such a tactic to buy time, and not look bad to those expecting Avatar Land... "Let's just cover our a** for five years, and then figure it out..." I bet they even mean that the five years starting from 2013...

:doh:

To me, this seems like such a tactic to buy time, and not look bad to those expecting Avatar Land... "Let's just cover our a** for five years, and then figure it out..." I bet they even mean that the five years starting from 2013...

They're essentially waiting for Iger and his pals to leave as he is the only one pulling for it. Even Cameron has lost interest (reportedly.) And even Iger is distracted by his new shiny toy, Lucasfilm.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, when a park that never gets anything gets something nobody is grateful for it /sarcasm/

A very small minority is clamoring for an Avatar theme park attraction and that number shrinks daily.

Yeah, when a park that never gets anything gets something nobody is grateful for it /sarcasm/

Out of all the things people are possibly excited for, this isn't one of them.

Besides, it's been nearly two years since the announcement, and avatar has already faded out of the public mind. If they're smart they'll just call it quits on this project.

So, back in the beginning, ^this^ mentioned: "Disney’s Animal Kingdom at Walt Disney World Resort is planned as the site of the first AVATAR-themed land with construction expected to begin by 2013."

Notice how ^now^ they just say AVATAR and don't mention "land" anymore. Coincidence? :shrug:

My theory is, they will eventually have to do something, though it might end up being a single ride, "The AVATAR Experience" type thing. Avatar is too high-profile for them to just drop it, like they've done with other projects in the past. But I can see this project shrinking, shriveling as time goes by... :skellington: and with it, my interest. I wanted a highly themed, immersive environment, and now I don't have any more hope for anything like my vision of what this Avatar Land could've been...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.