Project 727 | Page 18 | Inside Universal Forums

Project 727

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I the only one that's miffed that Comcast totally hijacked the storied NBC peacock and adopted it as their main corporate identity? It's like they deviously took a beloved logo that people associate with great laughs, entertainment, and news reporting.... and used it to soften the image of this corporate-bohemoth-megalord-i-want-to-cancel-my-cable-COMCAST. So slimy.

Be happy that Comcast wanted NBC to keep the logo. Comcast had full right to chuck it on the trash heap if they felt so inclined. If you bought a pair of Martin Dingman croc skin shoes, I'll bet you expect to wear them as you please, going clamming in mud flats or playing soccer in the rain.

It is, what it is.

Be happy that Comcast wanted NBC to keep the logo. Comcast had full right to chuck it on the trash heap if they felt so inclined. If you bought a pair of Martin Dingman croc skin shoes, I'll bet you expect to wear them as you please, going clamming in mud flats or playing soccer in the rain.

It is, what it is.
That's his point--they didn't throw it away, they adopted it themselves and slapped their own name on it (well, correct me if I'm wrong Kuribo but that's what I got out of your post). Comcast as a company, aside from the great things they're doing for Universal, is a cruddy company with a cruddy image, and they hijacked the good reputation the peacock has to suit it to their own interest and muddle the brand. Be happy? Comcast should be happy that they get that logo! The Comcast logo doesn't hold a candle to that iconic NBC one, they'd be dumber than dumb to chuck it on the trash heap.

Reactions: martymcflyy85
The Comcast logo doesn't hold a candle to that iconic NBC one, they'd be dumber than dumb to chuck it on the trash heap.

I've seen buyouts do far worse... destroy a brand even. Perhaps the bad Comcast name will catch up and tarnish NBC and Universal and the theme parks.

But I haven't seen that happen yet. It's a smart business move to use and abuse that peacock all they want if it indeed softens their image. Everyone who thinks Comcast is a crap company can stop visiting UOR tomorrow. Good luck with that.

^I absolutely agree. That's why I'm saying, I don't think we should be happy Comcast wanted NBC to keep the logo, they should be happy they now have it to use.

Am I the only one that's miffed that Comcast totally hijacked the storied NBC peacock and adopted it as their main corporate identity? It's like they deviously took a beloved logo that people associate with great laughs, entertainment, and news reporting.... and used it to soften the image of this corporate-bohemoth-megalord-i-want-to-cancel-my-cable-COMCAST. So slimy.
I mean, NBC is a shell of it's former self, it's not like they have much goodwill :lol:

I've seen buyouts do far worse... destroy a brand even. Perhaps the bad Comcast name will catch up and tarnish NBC and Universal and the theme parks.

But I haven't seen that happen yet. It's a smart business move to use and abuse that peacock all they want if it indeed softens their image. Everyone who thinks Comcast is a crap company can stop visiting UOR tomorrow. Good luck with that.

People tend to forget the phrase "It's a business" much of the time :saywhat:

I agree with Teebs that this is a great move for the company and IMO is the beginning of a new image for the company. I've seen the negative impact of corporate take overs and buyouts first hand and can say with confidence the way they are going about this take over is miles above what others have done before them. They have invested HUGE amounts of capital into not only the theme parks but also infrastructure upgrades company wide.

We haven't even seen this new company at full strength yet. They are still knee deep in merging several divisions under the same roof. In a time where the economy is still in the gutter many companies are handing out thousands of pink slips, slashing benefits, and doing more with 100% less. But Comcast has been investing heavily in not only the rebranding but also the business side. They are creating thousands of new jobs, raising wages, and boosting the economy.

I know many just like myself have had negative experiences with Comcast the Cable Co and its left a bad taste in your mouth. But at the end of the day I think its time to give a fresh perspective on what they're doing. Its not just about a Peacock, its about a new beginning.

People tend to forget the phrase "It's a business" much of the time :saywhat:
Especially when discussing Disney it seems like...:saywhat:

As to the rest of your post...them overtaking a logo is hardly representative of a well-done buyout. However, I'm not doubting that it very well may be going swimmingly, just providing to backup to @Kuribo 's post about the unfortunate merging of a logo of a great brand with the name of a bad one.

It's only the third time in the history of the historic rock center that the building's name has been changed. Also, it is a major part of the very famous NYC skyline. To quote Biden, "It's a big "f***ing deal" for both NBC and Comcast to have their names/logo up there.
It's a big deal for the company. Just because it's only the third time doesn't mean it's some big historic thing.

Gay marriage being made legal? That's historic.

That's his point--they didn't throw it away, they adopted it themselves and slapped their own name on it (well, correct me if I'm wrong Kuribo but that's what I got out of your post).

Yes, that's it exactly.

Teebin presented an alternate point (yes, something I should be happy about, I suppose) although the crocodile skin shoes metaphor went over my head. Regardless, I don't think the worst executive in the world would trash the NBC Peacock.

We can all agree that we love Comcast because they are pouring money into the parks. That being said it was slimy and shrewd of them to adopt a beloved logo and apply it to a company that does not have a good sentiment among customers (mainly due to cable subscriptions). To quote 24/7 Wall Street, "Comcast has long been one of the worst companies in America in terms of customer service and satisfaction."

Yet, it's probably what I would have done if I was in charge.

To HTF's point, who knows, in another decade or two maybe Comcast will have the reputation of a Disney or Apple or Google.

Some more thoughts on logo-gate:
Brand New: Comcast Takes NBC Peacock Hostage

Yes, that's it exactly.

Teebin presented an alternate point (yes, something I should be happy about, I suppose) although the crocodile skin shoes metaphor went over my head. Regardless, I don't think the worst executive in the world would trash the NBC Peacock.

We can all agree that we love Comcast because they are pouring money into the parks. That being said it was slimy and shrewd of them to adopt a beloved logo and apply it to a company that does not have a good sentiment among customers (mainly due to cable subscriptions). To quote 24/7 Wall Street, "Comcast has long been one of the worst companies in America in terms of customer service and satisfaction."

Yet, it's probably what I would have done if I was in charge.

To HTF's point, who knows, in another decade or two maybe Comcast will have the reputation of a Disney or Apple or Google.

Some more thoughts on logo-gate:
Brand New: Comcast Takes NBC Peacock Hostage

Kind of my thought, it may be a changing of the guard for them, a second chance if I may.

Guess the new attraction won't be named "30 Rock".

The tower will continue to be known as 30 Rock. That's the literal address of the building and it won't be changing. All they did was change the branding from "GE" on the top to "Comcast." No one in all of New York City referred to 30 Rock as the "GE Building" even though they technically owned the naming rights for almost 30 years. Since the building is landmarked, they had to go through a long approval process with the city just to get permission to put the logo on the top and remove the small GE sign at ground level.

They've been very sneaky. At first they didn't have the logo affiliated with Comcast at all after the merger and they kept NBCUniversal separate from the corporate naming. Then, they started using the awkward and overly long, "Comcast - NBCUniversal" on certain documents. Then the peacock began to replace the hyphen but it was still only used for the long-form name of the company and only in front of the NBCUniversal portion. It's only been in the last few months that they have begun placing the peacock above the Comcast typeface even without the NBCUniversal tailpiece. The good news is, Brian Roberts and Steve Burke have publicly said that the basic nomenclature of NBC and Universal Studios when used outside of the greater corporate branding will remain as is. That means we won't have to worry about the film studio suddenly being re-titled Comcast Pictures or something.

Reactions: martymcflyy85
Just curious, but when people say Comcast is a bad company, what does it mean? That their 'products' are bad, or is it just because their bad customer service?

Status
Not open for further replies.