Revenge of the Mummy Upgrades | Page 6 | Inside Universal Forums

Revenge of the Mummy Upgrades

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
The ride is programmed with a set amount of energy in the LIM launches... the control system doesn't have any ability to weigh the trains and adjust the launch power like some other coasters do.

Because of this, if you get an empty train car, the main launch (after turntable into gravity zone) provides the most force and biggest airtime at the top of the hill. More than it would if you got a car full of riders. Of course because the train is empty, it doesn't carry the same momentum as one full of guests; so by the time you get to the drop after the helix (second airtime spot), the car is traveling about the same speed as one full of other riders - this spot doesn't really have much difference.

The same thing applies for the third launch out of the false ending.

That's interesting to know. If you know, how hard would it be to install a massive scale (if possible, i have no idea)if this ride gets a serious refurb? It'd be great to have a great launch regardless of cart weight.

The ride is programmed with a set amount of energy in the LIM launches... the control system doesn't have any ability to weigh the trains and adjust the launch power like some other coasters do.

Because of this, if you get an empty train car, the main launch (after turntable into gravity zone) provides the most force and biggest airtime at the top of the hill. More than it would if you got a car full of riders. Of course because the train is empty, it doesn't carry the same momentum as one full of guests; so by the time you get to the drop after the helix (second airtime spot), the car is traveling about the same speed as one full of other riders - this spot doesn't really have much difference.

The same thing applies for the third launch out of the false ending.

I hate to disagree there, but I'm pretty sure you're wrong on this one. The cars are weighed at the dispatch area. Notice how the cars always stop there? It measures how long it takes for the vehicle to stop. A full car will take longer to stop than an empty one. It uses this data and adjusts the SLIMs accordingly to keep it in time with the show. A full car will need more energy to move along than a lighter one. Since the data is already in the system and following the cars through the ride, this should be able to adjust the launch sections as well. The timing is also very tight on the ride. The roller coaster portion takes 23 seconds to clear the block, and the intervals are 24 seconds. The variation created by NOT adjusting the launch would cause some cars to take longer than others, causing downtimes.

That's the idea anyways. That doesn't mean that the system always works as it's supposed to though...

I am not saying it does not weigh them there. But I do know for sure one mandatory reason the cars stop there at the dispatch area is so that trackswitch can happen in front of you/pacing of cars to make sure they have hit the next set of block brakes.

^True. But it still does it when they only run Port side with only 4 vehicles on. In that case, the track doesn't switch, and the car in front of you is already in the scarab scene. It still has to stop to get a weight on the vehicle.

I hate to disagree there, but I'm pretty sure you're wrong on this one. The cars are weighed at the dispatch area. Notice how the cars always stop there? It measures how long it takes for the vehicle to stop. A full car will take longer to stop than an empty one. It uses this data and adjusts the SLIMs accordingly to keep it in time with the show. A full car will need more energy to move along than a lighter one. Since the data is already in the system and following the cars through the ride, this should be able to adjust the launch sections as well. The timing is also very tight on the ride. The roller coaster portion takes 23 seconds to clear the block, and the intervals are 24 seconds. The variation created by NOT adjusting the launch would cause some cars to take longer than others, causing downtimes.

That's the idea anyways. That doesn't mean that the system always works as it's supposed to though...
Sorry, there is no type of system in the hold to weigh the trains. Skid brakes would be too inconsistent anyway. The hold is just designed to increase the efficiency of the ride, releasing cars as soon as the dispatch interval opens. The car has to stop there because it is still programmed as part of the station, so it can be station stopped. In order for the car not to stop, the control system would have to recognize it has entered scene one and has left the operators control.

The control system is constantly measuring the speed of the car in the first two scenes, using the SLIMS to slow or increase the cars speed to keep spacing correct.

The main LIM launch uses the same energy every time. It is too much power draw and just unnecessary to adjust the launch for a trains weight. You're right, the intervals are tight... If you are programming you calculate on the slowside.

Every Premier LIM coaster that I know of is this way.

^Just making sure. You know for fact that this is the case for ROTM? The only reason I say otherwise is because this is how it was explained to me by an operations manager.

The way you described makes sense as well. But what I don't understand now is this: On the panelview, the control system shows the block occupied by showing the car numbers. So it know that car #1 is in scene 1. The only reason I can think of is that the system would need to keep track of the weights of each vehicle. If it works the way you described, there would be no need to keep track of where each car is, only which blocks are occupied. Even on Spider-man, the system doesn't know which cars are where, it just knows which blocks are occupied and enables/disables the zones accordingly.

Oh, it knows more or less knows exactly where the train is on a large portion of the dark ride segment! That's how it monitors slowing a car if necessary using the SLIMS, which are spaced really tight.

I meant in terms of programming - when you were talking about why a car still stops in the hold brake, even if the block in front is clear. I know it doesn't make the most sense, but that's the way it is with PLC's.

I'll take you're word for it on the programing aspect with the hold brake thing.

That leaves the question though... Why does it need to know where car #1 is versus just knowing which blocks are occupied?

So, basically what this means is. If you have a slow launch, look around at how many fat slobs are sitting in your car. It's a good bet you have a full load. I once sat sideways on POTC because the boat was leaning so much. Why... a "60 Minutes" sized family. So big it was this side of cutting a hole in the house.

Rode today. The new projector is amazing! Even though you only see Imhotep for a few seconds at that part, the quality has vastly improved.

I hope they do this for the rest of the ride!

Glad to hear as I have heard it looked awesome. Also did you notice the queue lighting upgrades? Probably hard to tell there were but there is.

Per hatetofly's request, here are a few quick thoughts about Mummy from my one ride before I hightailed it out before the rain hit.

1) If they can find a way to change how the treasure room "guards" operate, almost anything would be better than how they pop up currently. It is the most cringe-inducing part of the ride for me. Even the really jerky Imhotep at the start of the ride is much better than the guards popping up as they do. Sometimes one or two don't come up at the same time or take just a hair longer, and it is very, very noticeable.

2) The scarab projection definitely looks much better, to the point the rest of the effects around it look...bad, especially in the front row. A great upgrade, but it seems like the rest hasn't been, and it needs to be.

3) At first I thought they updated the turntable projection, and maybe it was the surface that made me think twice and conclude they hadn't, but it did look marginally better. As tech gets better, I would expect it to be easier to sync the movements of the projection and turntable on a vehicle by vehicle basis. The last several rides it has not tracked with the vehicle very well.

4) Man, does the new launch projection look good! Really, really, really good!

And finally, the mist was very heavy today, my glasses were very much covered in droplets in the final brake. :lol:

Thanks maxair! Oddly enough, I am really happy to hear about the mist. I LOVE feeling the mist on a ride. I don't yet know why they become wussy over time... but I would bet it's the nozzles becoming clogged and some of those nozzles force the water against industrial diamond tips.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I love the mist as well (especially on really hot days), but its a love-hate relationship thanks to my glasses. That and my Transitions don't adjust quite quickly enough when there's no one in the singles line, like today.