So when will the Kid Zone closures begin? | Page 22 | Inside Universal Forums

So when will the Kid Zone closures begin?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Super Mario and Donkey Kong NOT Headed to Universal Studios Florida - Supposedly - Theme Park University

From the article:

"There is no way the demolition can be completed by July 2018"

OK, have they seen the speed in which Universal does things?

I'm going to try to remain civil in my rebuttal of this. The Pokemon stuff was a rumor on the IAPPA trade show floor. I heard it too, Josh. But some of us don't peddle in rumor and prefer to work in fact. Also that map he reported in June was tweeted by someone else and he ripped it for his blog without confirming it, which he admits.

It is possible for Universal to change the plans, but not likely. Their plans are still in the review phase with the city, meaning they haven't received approval to move forward with construction yet.

1) He says that more permits have to be filed to meet the current construction period on the NPDES permit. That's false. An NPDES permit construction period can be modified because construction is an imperfect process.
2) The city sent a list of deficient aspects of the plans to the city on 10/16/17 and are waiting for revisions from the contractors. The contractors are still well within the time frame to submit revisions to the plans. This is why construction hasn't started yet. When you see the city approve the permit, that's when we'll start seeing official announcements of closures.
3) Universal tore down Wet N Wild in less than 6 months.
4) Josh can't tell us about the details of the attractions in his alleged Pokemon land because no such anything exists at this point. He's reporting an IAPPA trade floor rumor without doing any real reporting.
5) Universal currently owes the city more than $20K in fees for review of these plans. It would take a lot to get them to completely change course and just blow $20K like that.

To his credit, though, there is some flux in the world of the Nintendo Land plans right now. Since these are early site work permits, the exact details of the attractions have yet to be filed for review. But every reason he gave for saying the plans I found are out of date is rebutted above. And they prove how little he knows about how construction works.

So to speak back on what I originally started the topic about, I took my two year old to Universal this past week and she absolutely loved it. It is interesting to me as someone who has experienced USF for the last 15 years, but never ventured much into Kidzone besides the occasional E.T. ride just how wonderful it was. I am glad they held off on the closures until after the holiday season. We had a great time and I have nothing but great things to say about the Universal Resort in general after this stay. Grinchmas was great, HP projection show was good, and the parade was great. It was a nice change of pace from the constant rat race of Disney. Although it was busy, it didn't feel overcrowded and impossible to leisurely enjoy like Disney has sort of become to us as a family. Also, we need a few extra accommodations(severe food allergies) and everywhere from CityWalk to both parks to Royal Pacific was incredibly accommodating and helpful. We typically only go to the Disney parks except for HHN and have always believed Disney's resorts and customer service to blow Universal out of the water, but after this trip my opinion has significantly changed.

So to speak back on what I originally started the topic about, I took my two year old to Universal this past week and she absolutely loved it. It is interesting to me as someone who has experienced USF for the last 15 years, but never ventured much into Kidzone besides the occasional E.T. ride just how wonderful it was. I am glad they held off on the closures until after the holiday season. We had a great time and I have nothing but great things to say about the Universal Resort in general after this stay. Grinchmas was great, HP projection show was good, and the parade was great. It was a nice change of pace from the constant rat race of Disney. Although it was busy, it didn't feel overcrowded and impossible to leisurely enjoy like Disney has sort of become to us as a family. Also, we need a few extra accommodations(severe food allergies) and everywhere from CityWalk to both parks to Royal Pacific was incredibly accommodating and helpful. We typically only go to the Disney parks except for HHN and have always believed Disney's resorts and customer service to blow Universal out of the water, but after this trip my opinion has significantly changed.

Yes, you'll find most here aren't in the target for Kidzone, but for what it is, it's really good, going with toddlers and younger ones. Curious George is really fun, ball factory can eat up hours. A Day in the Park with Barney probably was running the Christmas show, which is really good for toddlers and very young, and the show is just really well done (for what is is). And the backyard indoor playground is great for that age too. Fivel is fun, and the raft water slide is nice (and is the ONLY water ride in USF left).

The negative is that once you are beyond that age, there's no real reason to go back there. Nintendo will mix it up a bit, so I'm still looking forward to all that, but what's there now is pretty good for the little ones.

Glad to hear you had a great time!

Reactions: tankart150
Food for thought, what stops Universal Orlando from simply taking a page out of USH and having a temp queue set up, and then after a period of time; has a new queue all ready?

Hollywood did this for a long while with Shrek when Potter began physical work, and I wouldn't be surprised if that could be a possibility with this.

Food for thought, what stops Universal Orlando from simply taking a page out of USH and having a temp queue set up, and then after a period of time; has a new queue all ready?

Hollywood did this for a long while with Shrek when Potter began physical work, and I wouldn't be surprised if that could be a possibility with this.

Depending where they put the entrance, (probably Gardens of Allah) it would probably be built with the normal entrance open and then ET would have a few weeks refurb and open with new queue.

I'm still hearing more delays on the project.
Weird... I’m hearing the opposite.

A part of me sincerely wonders if they may just move SNW to Gate 3, and that Kidzone becomes something else.
Trust me. KidZone is still phase one.

The problem is we never really knew when KidZone would close, only rumors and gueses. With the permits only being approved a little over a month ago, it’s not surprising they left everything open through the holidays... But going back to my original point, we never really had a confirmed closing date in the first place, so who knows if it has been delayed at all or if this is the plan? (Just like when we heard about Dragon Challenge closing for a Potter ride and then doubted its validity for a year because we didn’t know the real closing date.)

Anyways, I’m hearing everything is moving forward just fine behind the scenes for this, whatever that’s worth to everyone. :cool: