Spider-Man getting HD Upgrading | Page 4 | Inside Universal Forums

Spider-Man getting HD Upgrading

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I don't know much about installation but surely it will be down longer then an evening? And then opened up officially for a renewed-grand opening surely.

For comparisons sake:

43499941.jpg
image_569_newspideylr_low.jpg

The comparison is amazing, but whats so great is that the image were all looking at is only the resolution your monitor can deliver. I guarantee most people viewing this are looking at these images in 480, 720, or at the highest 1080P. Unless you are using a very new Apple which its resolution isn't much higher. The image does nothing except show where they are taking the reanimation in a sense of graphic style. The final product will redefine how all future themepark film is animated or shot. 4K is just going to unbelievable.

Forbidden Journey obviously stole Spider-Man's thunder, it took the top dark ride spot in the polls from it... However with that pic comparison, I'm thinking more average guests will respect Spidey a bit more.

I can tell you right now that with this upgrade and all the interior being refurbed, cleaned, and re-lit this will secure Spiderman as a top dark ride for easily the next decade. I think Universal in a way is sort of showing some muscle with this. They are committing to providing its guest with two of the greatest dark rides on the planet within 1 park. For those "average guests" that visit both Universal and Disney there will be no hesitation from most people as to who had the most technologically advanced attractions.

quick question is this ride going to be shut down for a while?

I am pretty sure we will see it closed for a week or two before the Grand Re-Opening

I wonder if we will get new shades like the epic ones used in Star Tours 3D.

Considering were going to 4K, yes.

Is it just me or is Uni spending a serious amount of money recently after the success of WWOHP they are constantly investing the profits, its great!

If Spiderman saying "nice new shades" is one of the new things to be added, that would definitely make me happy. I distinctly remember from my first ride wondering how in the world Spiderman knew I was wearing these huge sunglasses, haha.

I just realized, with these new amazing screens then the 3D will probably look more amazing too! Less corny effects popping out at you and more depth making it feel more realistic!

I wonder if they will have to resurface the sets around or near the screens. If anyone remembers the behind the scenes making of spiderman footage used for travel channel like shows and specials, than they remember how Universal bragged only not on squinching effects to make sure the image was constantly moving so your moving ride vehicle did not ruin the 3D, but also how the buildings around the screen were printed from the world's largest and highest resolution printer at the time, so the screens would seem like additional space in the world more than they did screens.

It probably won't have to shut down, since they are installing the projectors now, it'll be as simple as a swap out over night of the films, and thats it :thumbs:

It probably won't have to shut down, since they are installing the projectors now, it'll be as simple as a swap out over night of the films, and thats it :thumbs:

The new set enhancements would probably mean a little down time, though. Hopefully not much, but some.

The new set enhancements would probably mean a little down time, though. Hopefully not much, but some.

Plus calibrations for the HD projections so the video is at its' best and testing to see if the video plays on-time.

Other-than-that, new shades too! AWESOME!!!! :happy:

As much as they are billing it as 4K projection, I don't see how that's achievable in 3D. The only projector currently capable of generating a 4K image is a Sony 4K. But as soon as you show a 3D image in "tripple flash" with polarised glasses, it drops to 2K.

It still looks stunning in 2K, but I'm not convinced this will actually be shown in 4K. Unless they have spent a couple if hundred million dollars and developed some sort of bespoke 4K 3D capable projector.

And as for down time, expect some. Projectors are seldom installed overnight. Especially Sony 4K's. These things are frikkin huge.

Technically it counts because the way it works is the 4k 3D projectors project two different 2K projections at the same time just slightly askew, so that creates a 4k 3D image.

I don't remember Spiderman ever going down for a refurb since it opened. He could afford to take a few nights off.