The Future of Lost Continent (Poseidon Fury closing May 9) | Page 175 | Inside Universal Forums

The Future of Lost Continent (Poseidon Fury closing May 9)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
If it actually is a boat ride, it's not going to be a standard one. Both Mario Kart and Donkey Kong are extremely innovative, and I'm betting that's the standard going forward. Maybe it'll feature interactive elements in some way?
This is my theory as well. It’s gonna be something new, but that could also just be THE dark ride we’ve all been waiting for so they’d rather spend on that and less on the ride system.

This is my theory as well. It’s gonna be something new, but that could also just be THE dark ride we’ve all been waiting for so they’d rather spend on that and less on the ride system.
Yeah I’d almost rather them stick with a good old boat ride but shoot to make it the greatest boat ride we’ve ever seen with the budget going into theming, sets, and animatronics rather than just a fancy ride system.

If it actually is a boat ride, it's not going to be a standard one. Both Mario Kart and Donkey Kong are extremely innovative, and I'm betting that's the standard going forward. Maybe it'll feature interactive elements in some way?
They could always shift all the interactive elements to the queue rather than the ride itself.

The Zelda games are very story oriented while also being “choose your own adventure” to some degree. Those vibes have to be incorporated into this land somehow.

Reactions: HHN Maddux
They could always shift all the interactive elements to the queue rather than the ride itself.
That's true, but Mario Kart and Yoshi have onride interactive elements. I don't believe DK is rumored to have anything, but that's because the nature of the ride itself. I'd be shocked if Zelda didn't have anything on the ride. I wonder if it might be an advanced version of a Splash Battle attraction?

I'm truly not trying to poke the bear here but.....are you fairly certain a Zelda themed ride/attraction is going into this area? One of my sons is 16, he barely even heard of Zelda. His friends as well, I've asked friends, family and other parents about Zelda and I get lukewarm responses at best. I know millions of games have been purchased throughout the years but this is obviously limited to Nintendo owners. I just don't see the average park visitor being wowed by Zelda. I personally love the whole idea, played several of these games over the years.

Reactions: OrlLover
I'm truly not trying to poke the bear here but.....are you fairly certain a Zelda themed ride/attraction is going into this area? One of my sons is 16, he barely even heard of Zelda. His friends as well, I've asked friends, family and other parents about Zelda and I get lukewarm responses at best. I know millions of games have been purchased throughout the years but this is obviously limited to Nintendo owners. I just don't see the average park visitor being wowed by Zelda. I personally love the whole idea, played several of these games over the years.
I’ve never played a Zelda game, and I’m excited for this land.

And I’m 91% sure it’s happening, for what that’s worth.

That's true, but Mario Kart and Yoshi have onride interactive elements. I don't believe DK is rumored to have anything, but that's because the nature of the ride itself. I'd be shocked if Zelda didn't have anything on the ride. I wonder if it might be an advanced version of a Splash Battle attraction?
There might be an interactive element, but no way it’ll be a Splash Battle

Not a typical Splash Battle, but something similar. Water cannons could be used in some pretty creative ways, especially in an IP focused on combat and puzzle solving.
Water and typical dark ride scenic elements don’t mix. It’s why Splash Mountain and Jurassic Park River Adventure need constant attention. Add in the guests being able to shoot the water? You’d have to really restrict the kind of scenic elements you include

Reactions: Coolbfitz
@Alicia is plugged in and their reporting is solid. If she says there is a 91% chance of it happening, then there is a 97% chance it is happening.

Let me introduce you to Theme Park Stop .

I'm in the same boat. I just don't think this resonates with the GP. I think it's very popular in certain circles, but don't know that it has an overall appeal. Not to say it won't be an amazing land. And it's replacing a non-IP land, so....

But I don't think HTTYD is justified in how much real estate it's getting in EU either so they clearly have a different idea on what deserves a land. lol

Reactions: Universal 4 Life
I'm in the same boat. I just don't think this resonates with the GP. I think it's very popular in certain circles, but don't know that it has an overall appeal. Not to say it won't be an amazing land. And it's replacing a non-IP land, so....

But I don't think HTTYD is justified in how much real estate it's getting in EU either so they clearly have a different idea on what deserves a land. lol
I mean 30 million + sales with just one game in the series and it's latest doing 10 million + in just two month is nothing to scoff at. Also due to the mario movie's massive success, I definitely think Zelda movie will follow which help appeal to people who have never played a zelda game before

When it comes to this stuff I stand with the opinion there's very very few big IPs out there that stand up against the scrutiny of whether they are popular with the "general public" without some catch (The catch nowadays growingly being that it's owned by a competitor). Otherwise especially in the modern day yes a lot of things are "niche" or don't get out beyond a perceived subculture, but many subcultures/"niches" are very big and are worth pursuing, especially if you already have the rights to it.

As mentioned the latest Zelda game sold 10 million copies in its first 3 days on the market, that's not something to sneeze at, and converting a fraction of said players into folks who go into theme parks would be pretty profitable. Additionally the whole reason Nintendo entered into the partnership with Universal in the first place has been that while their IPs are pretty popular within video game spaces, they want to grow that popularity with pushes into other spaces, It's not a one way relationship with just Universal calling the shots here.

Even besides all that, much like what is said about some existing or proposed theme park lands, a good theme park land will appeal to the "GP" regardless even if they've never initially engaged with or dislike the source material. My girlfriend absolutely hates Harry Potter but loved the Wizarding World lands for instance.

When it comes to this stuff I stand with the opinion there's very very few big IPs out there that stand up against the scrutiny of whether they are popular with the "general public" without some catch (The catch nowadays growingly being that it's owned by a competitor). Otherwise especially in the modern day yes a lot of things are "niche" or don't get out beyond a perceived subculture, but many subcultures/"niches" are very big and are worth pursuing, especially if you already have the rights to it.

As mentioned the latest Zelda game sold 10 million copies in its first 3 days on the market, that's not something to sneeze at, and converting a fraction of said players into folks who go into theme parks would be pretty profitable. Additionally the whole reason Nintendo entered into the partnership with Universal in the first place has been that while their IPs are pretty popular within video game spaces, they want to grow that popularity with pushes into other spaces, It's not a one way relationship with just Universal calling the shots here.

Even besides all that, much like what is said about some existing or proposed theme park lands, a good theme park land will appeal to the "GP" regardless even if they've never initially engaged with or dislike the source material. My girlfriend absolutely hates Harry Potter but loved the Wizarding World lands for instance.
Well said!

There are very few Potter, Mario, Star Wars, Avatar, 4-quadrant properties. Everything it going to have some sort of weakness. But Zelda is a part of one of Universal’s most important partnerships, and like you said, the newsest game in the series made 10 million in sales in 3 days. That’s a pretty impressive feat. Even if you translate a fraction of those people into new UOR guests, you’ve got a nice attendance and spending bump

I imagine for those not familiar with the franchise, a Zelda land will have the same appeal that Lost Continent already had since it deals with a lot of the same tropes and subject matter. So this is a net win for everyone especially if we get a great ride out of it.

I imagine for those not familiar with the franchise, a Zelda land will have the same appeal that Lost Continent already had since it deals with a lot of the same tropes and subject matter. So this is a net win for everyone especially if we get a great ride out of it.

Agreed. Most people probably knew who Poseidon and conceptually the same with Sindbad. However, it wasn't an IP that truly resounded. I'd say that the impressive exterior of Poseidon and the allure of a show is what drew people in. I don't know much about Zelda but a great dark ride via boat would have me in line right away.