Universal's New Park/Site B Blue Sky Thread | Page 49 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's New Park/Site B Blue Sky Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Batman island was proposed to DC a year before marvel signed on to IOA. They had concepts for an innovative coaster, the Batwing. Granted, Hulk was everything and more that one could want wth a coaster. It would have been interesting to see how far universal could have taken the IP with comcast's capital.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    220 KB · Views: 25
Reactions: Mike S
Batman island was proposed to DC a year before marvel signed on to IOA. They had concepts for an innovative coaster, the Batwing. Granted, Hulk was everything and more that one could want wth a coaster. It would have been interesting to see how far universal could have taken the IP with comcast's capital.
Sorry girl but no.

Hulk is not "everything and more" compared to the concepts Goddard and Crew came up with for Batman Vs Penguin. Sorry. That SLAUGHTERS the Hulk.

Reactions: Cheezbat
Just sayin...

From the contract:

Thereafter any MCA proposed joint promotion (in which MCA receives no consideration) involving a competing product or entity in the territory covered by a Marvel promotion contained in such notice(s) shall require Marvel’s approval.

While I agree completely that DC isn't coming if Marvel is still in IOA, I think theres plenty of room for interpretation there as the territory is IOA. Uni can't do anything Marvel outside of IOA as that's it's territory. I think as long as DC stayed in the third park and not in IOA or the current resort, it would be hard for Marvel to shoot it down.

While I agree completely that DC isn't coming if Marvel is still in IOA, I think theres plenty of room for interpretation there as the territory is IOA. Uni can't do anything Marvel outside of IOA as that's it's territory. I think as long as DC stayed in the third park and not in IOA or the current resort, it would be hard for Marvel to shoot it down.

Disney could argue that a new land, with all the latest tech, and obviously heavy advertisement to come to the new park would lessen attendance at IOA and thus... lose interest in Marvel.

Guys, Marvel isn't going to let there major competitor move into the same resort and Universal sure isn't trying to piss them off with a contract that Disney wishes did not exist.

One thing I'd like to add is the idea of a Harry Potter or Carsland sized and themed land is too fetishized in the themed entertainment community; they're unicorns. Taking any property and just assuming it'll get two rides, a themed restaurant, shops, and a themed food item is pretty limiting when you can create lands around multiple ideas or properties. Sure we have Diagon Alley, but we also have JUST The Mummy and JUST Transformers. Food, bev, and merch only works when it's natural and not forced.

One thing I'd like to add is the idea of a Harry Potter or Carsland sized and themed land is too fetishized in the themed entertainment community; they're unicorns. Taking any property and just assuming it'll get two rides, a themed restaurant, shops, and a themed food item is pretty limiting when you can create lands around multiple ideas or properties. Sure we have Diagon Alley, but we also have JUST The Mummy and JUST Transformers. Food, bev, and merch only works when it's natural and not forced.
I'm still pushing for Hyrule. Anyone who's played Zelda knows the possibilities with all those aspects :drool:

Agreed.

I would've taken Universals take on Gotham City over Marvel Superhero Island any day. That looked amazing!

I would have too in 1991 but that ride would have aged terribly. Let's say they decided to go that route and build it for the park opening in 1999 with Batman and Robin still fresh in the public eye, I don't think it would have done well.

Skip forward to the Dark Knight trilogy and the ride would have looked even worse and more outdated.

Not to mention that as fun as swinging coasters are, they've been plagued with problems.

I think Nintendo, although rumored to replace kids zone in USF should go to the new park. A clean slate would allow them to really do it right and create exactly what they want without existing space limitation. kids zone in USF could be used for future park expansion

I'm not looking up the full contract but would assume the "territory" is the US east of the Mississippi, not just IOA.

In 1990, no one contemplated that TWDC might buy Marvel. The idea that Universal might open up a land with the then-free agent DC characters almost certainly did cross their minds--the artwork shows the idea had already been brainstormed. Making sure a third gate, or "Universal Virginia," didn't include Bat-Land was almost certainly the Marvel lawyers' intent.

Reactions: JungleSkip
I think Nintendo, although rumored to replace kids zone in USF should go to the new park. A clean slate would allow them to really do it right and create exactly what they want without existing space limitation. kids zone in USF could be used for future park expansion

It can go into both. Nintendo's initial plans only showcase a small fraction of their characters

I like how people look at concepts that were put together and say it would have been way better than what we have today. First off the Universal in 1999 was way different than the Universal we have today. So we don't know that they would have done DC better. Also, concepts change, budgets get slashed, stuff gets rushed, etc. We have no clue if the concept that was put forward would have been what we got. You just can't say in this alternate path that DC would be better than Marvel. Spiderman is an awesome ride, we have no clue if the DC rides would have come close to what we have today.

I think Phase 1 will be Nintendo's most popular (Mario) then the future park will have some of the smaller characters (Kirby, etc).

So turns out Universal can't use Fantastic Beasts even if they wanted to without signing a new agreement with WB.

I think Phase 1 will be Nintendo's most popular (Mario) then the future park will have some of the smaller characters (Kirby, etc).

So turns out Universal can't use Fantastic Beasts even if they wanted to without signing a new agreement with WB.

Lets be honest though, after the massive success of WWoHP, WB would jump at the opportunity to bring Fantastic Beasts to the parks if Universal wants it.

Status
Not open for further replies.