Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

USF Project?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Star Wars and D23 have changed a few things so all I'm saying is as long as they're thinking outside the box on these new Potter rides I'm sort of fine with them. But how many more additions before people grow tired or somewhat bored with the franchise? Or how many more screens can you park your guest in front of only to hear cheap knock off voice overs? I fear in a world where Star Wars continues to grow to a new generation, Marvel has a new mega hit launching every 3 months it seems, and new franchises launching all the time how long before Potter takes a bit of a back seat? Has it already? Yeah Fantastic Beasts that was a thing..

I get it, Potter has been their bread and butter, its been the game changer, the revolution to the industry. But can Potter sustain this level of popularity, market growth, and financial increases in a market that is already saturated in it? Can Universal continue to steal away Disney market share by adding more Potter? Sure maybe if Disney was still sitting on its rear. But with the onslaught Disney is throwing at Orlando in the next 5 years with Potter still be a game changer or will it end up being filler until the next great thing comes?

Before anyone tries to blow up about this, just trying to initiate some convo from Potter Fans and NON Potter fans here. Whats your thoughts?
I look at it as they were planned additions/replacements that were put aside for a later date. If Hogsmeade opened with a Dueling Dragons replacement and Diagon opened with the Ministry of Magic I don't think we'd be having this conversation. But they were probably shelved for time and monetary reasons at the time.

If they were to go any further and add even more Potter attractions to these two parks, even I would start to question Universal's sanity... but I look at these as just finishing up what they already started.

Now, adding Fantastic Beasts to a new park... I might be on board with that. (But only the new films are better than the first one.)

Too much Potter IMO.. But hey if they're both unique, fun, and not reliant on screens for a majority of the ride I'm okay with it.
As long as MoM is the last of it, I think it's fine. Although I wouldn't be opposed to Bond in that spot as an alternative...

TRON? Irrelevant outside the Dis Superfan Community
Ratatouille? Nearly decade+ old movie
Mickey? This one may be debatable
These may not bring in a ton of attendance or money, but that's not their point. These are being built as a package so that in 2021, every park will have new offerings (incl. DAK, not Pandora) will have something to promote so that WDW will be able to do a huge 50th campaign.

Potter is obviously huge, there's no question about that. But when you package new rides together at 4 different parks and give that to Disney's marketing machine, it doesn't matter if Ratatouille is virtually a dead IP or if TRON is niche, etc. The package deal will sell it to the masses.

I'm all about it. I enjoy Potter- and while one could argue it's too much- and be correct- I think the fact this IP will be more fleshed out than anything anywhere is a pretty impressive and unique concept. We'll have something in Orlando that nothing else in the world can come close to.

6 HP areas over 2 theme parks with transportation that connects them? Impressive doesn't even begin to describe it.
Diagon, MoM and Kings Cross over to Hogsmeade, Forbidden Forest and Hogwarts. Again, that's insane.

If we didn't get MoM, and we got xyz attraction, we'd always wonder what could have been. OR- we'd always have a rumor about MoM being added eventually. This is the exclamation at the end of what will be inarguably the best lands in the world. After this- there's nothing else to add to the IP- we can literally shut up about it and any future rumors.

Well.... except for the fact that there likely will be a ~4-6 acre expansion spot still remaining from DC that we will be asking about a Great Hall Dining and potentially a Black Lake attraction- which I'm sure they'll do at some point in the future- or even the ever elusive on-site hotel. So maybe this isn't the exclamation after all :D

These may not bring in a ton of attendance or money, but that's not their point. These are being built as a package so that in 2021, every park will have new offerings (incl. DAK, not Pandora) will have something to promote so that WDW will be able to do a huge 50th campaign.

Potter is obviously huge, there's no question about that. But when you package new rides together at 4 different parks and give that to Disney's marketing machine, it doesn't matter if Ratatouille is virtually a dead IP or if TRON is niche, etc. The package deal will sell it to the masses.

Right. And moreso- they are ADDITIONS (sans Mickey and GotG). The thing we've been clamoring years for- not replacements, but actual capacity increases. The fact we get 2 Pandora attractions, a Theater and Tron in MK, Star Wars and TSL in DHS, and Rat in Epcot and all we give up is a crappy car stunt show? Yes, please.

Sure, but that wasn't my point.

And I'd say that's the opposite of what these Potter rides are. Uni will be putting in Bourne, SLOP, and possibly HTTYD. All nice additions but nothing mindblowing. But throw 2 Potter E-tickets in there and you've got a package.

It's like a bad habit. You always root for them to shake it and then they relapse. :lol:

I'd call it a good habit.

As I said on Twitter, after MOM they will have added 4 Potter rides to the parks. There are gonna be 4 Toy Story attractions between 2 parks in WDW soon. I don't get the issue here.

Especially when the following have been/will be built during the Potter revolution:
-Kong
-Minion Mayhem
-Transformers
-Fallon
-F&F
-Springfield
-NuHulk
-T2 Replacement
-SLOP
-Nintendo
-Volcano Bay
-HTTYD (?)

It's not like they're only building Potter rides.

Right. And moreso- they are ADDITIONS (sans Mickey and GotG). The thing we've been clamoring years for- not replacements, but actual capacity increases. The fact we get 2 Pandora attractions, a Theater and Tron in MK, Star Wars and TSL in DHS, and Rat in Epcot and all we give up is a crappy car stunt show? Yes, please.

Again, I wasn't complaining about them. I think they'll all be decent enough attractions.

But it was brought up if Potter could "Stand up to Disney's onslaught", which is ridiculous when most of the "Disney onslaught" is made up of franchises that don't hold a candle to Potter's generational appeal. The question also ignores everything else going on.:shrug:

EDIT: To add more to my thoughts, the opposite of this would be to ask "Star Wars is great and popular now, but will it always be popular? Can it stand up to the Universal tidal wave of Nintendo, Potter, SLoP, F&F, HTTYD, etc, etc?"

They're both odd questions. SW and HP are THE BIGGEST media properties of all time. They're things people of all ages will travel to see. They're both gonna be fine

Last edited by a moderator:
Potter is done so well at Universal that you don't need to be a HP book or movie fan to enjoy the immersion/ambiance/entertainment/fun/food & drinks/merchandise/attractions that are associated with the IP. The lands are an "Awesome Experience". Even non Potter book/movie fans like me & Alene can't get enough of Universal Potter.

Now, about this puzzle theater thingy, I for one don't get at it all. What does it do that's so amazing? So far, we have seating that comes together and then we have seating that spreads apart. Does the seating also tilt? Meanwhile what are we looking at on that stage that would amount to anything?

Please tell me what I have missed? Please tell me what I am missing?

Potter is done so well at Universal that you don't need to be a HP book or movie fan to enjoy the immersion/ambiance/entertainment/fun/food & drinks/merchandise/attractions that are associated with the IP. The lands are an "Awesome Experience". Even non Potter book/movie fans like me & Alene can't get enough of Universal Potter.

My mom knows little beyond some of the characters' names and she LOVES Gringotts and Diagon Alley

This may be for another thread, but what do you locals feel are must do attractions when you visit IOA or US? You know you hop over for lunch and then you ride a few rides. What is it you look forward to each time, right now in 2017 ?

This may be for another thread, but what do you locals feel are must do attractions when you visit IOA or US? You know you hop over for lunch and then you ride a few rides. What is it you look forward to each time?
I like Transformers, Mummy, and MiB at USF. Forbidden Journey, Spider-Man, and previously Dragon Challenge at IOA.

I also like to do something I don't normally do every time I visit. Like hop on the Seuss Trolley or catch the Horror Make-Up Show now and again.

IOA got a 10% attendance boost last year. IDK how that translates to Kong not being a hit.

Don't get me wrong, I think Kong and Fallon have both been pretty successful in pulling people in and putting smiles on faces but I don't think they're going to be anybody's top 5.

Once F&F is open and Universal start delivering on the new path they're taking away from screenz, they will start seeing the same highs and praise they had when Potter opened.

Status
Not open for further replies.