WB Studios - A Festival of Frights | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

WB Studios - A Festival of Frights

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
This lineup is strong. Spoke to some of the creatives at Midsummer Scream, and they appear hungry and ready to give this an earnest go. Feels like they've wanted to for a while and finally have the resources to do so...

Keep in mind the original IT Neibolt structure was a product of marketing and not really these guys; it got plopped down in last year's event because it was ready to go. As a free viral experience, it was a lot of fun. I have to imagine they're going to fundamentally change how it works for this year (already hinted by the website).

If they manage to execute the attractions described here with any level of quality... the industry's gonna get really interesting. That Arkham maze alone is a huge get.

Im wondering if all the mazes will be the same kinda tour guide thing that they did with the Neibolt house?

Wondering about this too since they want to avoid conga lines. Also curious how they’ll do the scaring(specifically if it’ll be Knott’s out in the open style or HHN’s strobe hiding style)

Reactions: chris.g
Keep in mind the original IT Neibolt structure was a product of marketing and not really these guys; it got plopped down in last year's event because it was ready to go. As a free viral experience, it was a lot of fun. I have to imagine they're going to fundamentally change how it works for this year (already hinted by the website).

They mentioned at the panel that the IT maze/experience is completely new from the ground up. It'll be neat to see what they come up with.

Reactions: Freak and Clive
Did they say from the ground up? Don't remember that. In fact, I remember them showing the old doors and talking about how they'll be included again.

This event sounds amazing, and reminds me of Hollywood in 2007 in terms of HUGE IP’s coming(honestly I think this is history repeating itself since HHN started becoming serious competition with Knott’s and now WB could be serious competition with HHN). But, in about 3-5 years they’ll need new IP’s since they can only do Conjuring & IT for so long(similar to how HHN used the Titans for 3 years). Luckily their library is huge so this won’t be as big of a concern - but it does make me wonder if we’ll eventually see those 2 at HHN if there starts to be fatigue for those properties at Horror Made Here

Reactions: Horror Lover
This event sounds amazing, and reminds me of Hollywood in 2007 in terms of HUGE IP’s coming(honestly I think this is history repeating itself since HHN started becoming serious competition with Knott’s and now WB could be serious competition with HHN). But, in about 3-5 years they’ll need new IP’s since they can only do Conjuring & IT for so long(similar to how HHN used the Titans for 3 years). Luckily their library is huge so this won’t be as big of a concern - but it does make me wonder if we’ll eventually see those 2 at HHN if there starts to be fatigue for those properties at Horror Made Here

This does feel like history repeating itself.. Idk if that's a good thing or a bad thing..

It reminds me of that too, but I'll hold my breath until reviews pop up. I'm still completely in love with HHN - even at it's worst, as where Knotts was getting really old on multiple years by that point.

The doors will be there, but they also said 'entirely new experience unlike the marketing/popup from last year".
I don't know, man, sounds like "positive spin" to me. I've heard these types talk about their projects like this just to see literally one or two things new in the attraction. It's just also how to market and get people in the door. With 3 mazes, they don't have much room to excite, so saying it's "all new" can make that anticipation a bit bigger.

Decided to watch some of the pannel, and you guys failed to mention they're going to have a drop tower there! Kinda cool they're going to have an off-the-shelf ride or two there.

I honestly see this as WB dipping its toes into the year-round themed entertainment industry in SoCal. I would be shocked if we didn't see more tourist offerings (in addition to the tour) by 2028.

They already want the gondola to the Hollywood sign afterall.

Reactions: Freak and chris.g
I honestly see this as WB dipping its toes into the year-round themed entertainment industry in SoCal. I would be shocked if we didn't see more tourist offerings (in addition to the tour) by 2028.

They already want the gondola to the Hollywood sign afterall.
IF they were to do that, you think they would expand their offerings locally or someplace that’s less saturated in the theme park market (I.e. Vegas)?

IF they were to do that, you think they would expand their offerings locally or someplace that’s less saturated in the theme park market (I.e. Vegas)?

I'm not talking about major theme park attractions but smaller things like a special effects show, or a VR experience of some sort. Things that could buffer a full day on the lot.

I just can't share the same excitement as much of this forum...it's quite pricey. From what I've seen, heard, and read is that the mazes were incredibly short and more guided tours (not my thing but I get those who like them) and that the acting was atrocious.

Any reports on how the crowds were last year? Thinking of going opening night since I will be in town doing HHN on the Thursday before.

Not sure, but I imagine it'll be much more crowded this year. Especially opening night since it's the cheapest night (and it's actually IN October)

Last year’s wasn’t packed at all from what I’ve heard. This year’s will be probably be decent sized(maybe HHN on a non peak night sized).

I’m really curious to see how this performs. If the mazes are flops this event will fall right on its face but if it succeeds HHN will have to step their game up

Reactions: DTH