Antojitos: Authentic Mexican Food | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

Antojitos: Authentic Mexican Food

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I hit it up two days ago. Honestly, the best Mexican food I've ever had, and some of the best restaurant service I've ever been graced with.

I had the pineapple chicken tacos, and date had the strip steak tacos. Both were absolutely incredible. Salsa and guacamole was fantastic too. Will definitely be returning soon.

Found out something interesting about the bell today-it is remote controlled. Someone has a remote, and can set it off whenever he or she wishes.

[video=youtube;D7ldXDRCLzQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7ldXDRCLzQ[/video]

:p

So, I finally had a chance to upload my pics from last Saturday at Antojitos, and here's my mini review:

This was my first time eating downstairs, and the experience was a bit different than my first visit to the restaurant a few weeks ago. This night, the place was packed and we had a 30-40 minute wait to be seated. Luckily, we had the bar, so we got some drinks while we waited. I had some Mojitos, which were fantastic and strong -- in line with all the drinks I've had at Antojitos so far :cheers: We also got complimentary nachos and salsa at the bar, fresh and great as always! While we waited for our table, we got a chance to see the stage entertainment. I can't remember all of the songs, but they were pop/rock tunes you'd hear in the radio today, played Mariachi style. I do remember the last song in their set was the tequila song. Very Antojitos!

IMG_9913_zps7e037e90.jpg

IMG_9916_zpsfcf86471.jpg

Once we got a table, deciding what to order was tough because there were so many tempting choices. I finally decided to get the duck tacos. This was my first time having duck tacos, or duck at all. Again, the food did not disappoint! The duck was moist, tender and very tasty. The salsa verde gave the tacos a great kick. Along with the tacos came a side of rice and beans, which was delicious, as well. My fellow diners also had tacos; steak and carnita, if I am not mistaken. Everyone seemed very, very pleased with the food! :thumbs:

The service lacked a bit this time around. Our server was nice and he didn't get any of our orders wrong, but he did miss some steps throughout the service... Because of how busy the place was, things were running a bit slow and drinks were not refilled or offered in a timely manner. He also did not ask if the we would be all together or in separate checks; he just brought one check, when we were actually planning to pay separately. What was really bad, though, was him bringing the check without asking if we wanted any desert first! Anyways, we recognized that they were slammed that night, so we were understanding and didn't make a big deal out of it. In the grand scheme of things, it was nothing too horrible that would keep us from coming back. Hopefully the right eyes will come across this review and they will remind the downstairs servers about these little details ;-)

Anyways, going back to the positives, the food at Antojitos is REALLY outstanding! Props to the chefs and the kitchen because they really shine! I'm looking forward to eating here again and again, and trying all these mouth-watering dishes!

Take a look at our gorgeous and yummy tacos:

IMG_9923_zps8c33cff0.jpg

IMG_9924_zps1ea25144.jpg

IMG_9925_zpsf374f65e.jpg

IMG_9927_zps3fc8c09b.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome pictures. Just one question are there any choices for vegetarians. Do they have a veggie Paella like they had in Latin Quarter.:p

Awesome pictures. Just one question are there any choices for vegetarians. Do they have a veggie Paella like they had in Latin Quarter.:p

They definitely have vegetarian options, but I'm not sure about veggie paella specifically. I didn't see it on the menu, but maybe you can request it? :shrug:

I took my girlfriend here a week ago...thirty minutes to get a table, not too bad. But the food took well over an hour! On top of that, my girlfriends food was warm at best. Not worth the price we paid. People around us were complaining about the service and their food too.(my food was fine.) Lucky for my girlfriend, the manager felt bad about everything, and since we were nice and polite and patient they gave us free dessert.

All in all, not the best Mexican food I've had, and not the best experience...but maybe awhile down the road when it's not so new I'll go back and try it again.

I heard from one of the employees that for a few while there they were having problems with the kitchen, but it seems things have gone back to normal in the past couple of days.

The food was pretty good when we were there (could go for another drink too :cheers:), so I hope they have worked out their issues.

Last night I had another chance to dine at Antojitos with family and friends, which would make it the third time for me. This time I definitely had a MUCH better experience than on my second try. The place was again PACKED, so there were still waits to get a table and our food, but service was great from our excellent and friendly server Kim, plus we had a constant flow of drinks and fresh homemade chips with salsa, so it was as smooth as could be for such a busy night. Shout-out to the wonderful and efficient hostesses, in particular Brittan, who made it smooth and simple when our party grew from four to seven people. They have implemented a great little system which texts you the approximate wait time, and then once your table is ready.

When I was looking at the menu, I noticed some differences, and our server Kim also explained that in order to expedite service some items were removed or switched over to the Antojitos Up menu. So, definitely make sure you look at the menus before you decide where to dine!

Everyone seemed very pleased with the food, so that has stayed consistently great with every visit! Same with the drinks; strong and tasty! I had the Fish Tacos as my main course and they were delicious. For dessert, this time I tried the Banana Bread Pudding, which I also really enjoyed. I also got to try the Seafood Cocktail and the table side guac, both which I would highly recommend. I even got to have some left overs of Chicken Quesadillas Caseras and Fajitas of Adobo Chicken today, and I continue to be pleased by every dish I try! :thumbs:

I'm glad to see that they've kept up the quality of food and drinks, and how they are dealing well with the service issues during busy nights. Also, I'd like to make another quick comment about the portions, since every time I've been there I've left satisfied, and my family even had left overs... Although the portions look small, they are actually fine. The free chips and salsa definitely help to fill you up, but portions are really healthy and appropriate in size. I hope everyone gets a chance to try Antojitos because it's really worth it! Don't forget to use your discounts and tip well, my friends! :cheers:

Here are some pics from last night!

Our wonderful server Kim:

20140222_Kim_zps306cb871.jpg

The Mariachi band, which you can see outside and on stage throughout the night:

20140222_Mariachi_zpsfccbb747.jpg

The current menu:

20140222_Menu01_zps9049a304.jpg

20140222_Menu02_zps92398de4.jpg

20140222_Menu03_zps9cbc02d5.jpg

The Fish Tacos:

20140222_FishTacos_zpsc08c0ffd.jpg

They got rid of the duck tacos? NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

It's very likely that they were moved to be exclusive to the Antojitos Up menu. I unfortunately didn't get a pic of that menu, so I can't verify. Maybe someone can get a pic of it and we can check. I even forgot to get pics of the rest of the dishes and of the dessert menu to check for differences. *Kicking myself*

Also, I'd like to make another quick comment about the portions, since every time I've been there I've left satisfied, and my family even had left overs... Although the portions look small, they are actually fine. The free chips and salsa definitely help to fill you up, but portions are really healthy and appropriate in size. I hope everyone gets a chance to try Antojitos because it's really worth it! Don't forget to use your discounts and tip well, my friends! :cheers:

The real question is are the portions ok for the price you pay? I'm not Mexican food afficionado, but I know that the menu at Chevy's, for instance, is pretty darn good and a little easier on the wallet. I'd say that the nicest Mexican place I frequent is Cantina Laredo, and even their portions seem bigger than what I've seen from pictures. For the $15 and up range, I don't want to be just satisfied, I want to be full for a while :lol: I'm not a big guy by any means, but swimming in high school and college has made my appetite pretty large--it would be disappointing if the portions are reliant on chips and salsa to make you full (I would not consider chips a good dinner lol).

Last edited:
The real question is are the portions ok for the price you pay? I'm not Mexican food afficionado, but I know that the menu at Chevy's, for instance, is pretty darn good and a little easier on the wallet. I'd say that the nicest Mexican place I frequent is Cantina Laredo, and even their portions seem bigger than what I've seen from pictures. For the $15 and up range, I don't want to be just satisfied, I want to be full for a while :lol: I'm not a big guy by any means, but swimming in high school and college has made my appetite pretty large--it would be disappointing if the portions are reliant on chips and salsa to make you full (I would not consider chips a good dinner lol).

The dishes do have good portions. At least everything I've had did. Sure, you can go to other places and get more food for the price, but all things considered, they are fine portions and great quality of food for the price. The desserts especially are a great value and sooo yummy! The other day I was even close to stopping by just for dessert :lol:

I had a similar time there.

Our group of 7 opted to sit outside for the shorter wait time. Drinks got there in a decent amount of time, as did the chips and salsa. The entrees took well over an hour to reach our table. Well... not all of them. My friend's meal never got to him, but they had made an extra steak fajita so he just took that instead. My wife and daughter's meals were lukewarm. And my wife's soup was on the cold side. As for me, all I got was my chicken tortilla soup (very good) and never got my entree.

We could never find our server, and when she did come out she apologized profusely about the issues -- something with the kitchen, if I remember right. She went to check, but 10 minutes later came back after she was visibly shaken.

As wrong as it all went, I must compliment the management of the restaurant. We politely talked to the manager on duty and apologized for what happened. Offered us dessert but we had had our fill of chips & salsa. Ended up with the whole bill be wiped out. Didn't expect that, but was very happy that they took care of us as well as they did.

I had the Antojitos Vegetarianos when I went on February 16th (my first time there). It was alright.

My favorite, however, was the guacamole! My DBF and I like it the best out of all the guacamoles we've tried in town.