Halloween Horror Nights 2024 (USH) - Speculation & Rumors | Page 5 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 2024 (USH) - Speculation & Rumors

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just count the post-hiatus years if we’re doing an anniversary year (98% of the guests don’t even realize they existed annyeay) and bring the Director back for the Tram. Maybe do a mashup with Hollywood Harry. I’ll be happy.

The event is too reliant on IPs to do a strict anniversary year that HHNO and Knott’s are able to do. But doing something like bringing back the director and other “Hollywood” characters for the tram and maybe a house would be great!

Murdy usually points to Hollywood's erratic history with the event as to why.. saying it'd be too hard to count how many years overall HHN has been running in Hollywood, taking into consideration the gaps between 86, 92, 97-00 and 06-now..
Yeah, I remember interviewing Murdy about that he basically said, in so many words, he has no desire to do that. I guess it makes sense considering how the event has been produced over the years. They want the hot ticket of the year to draw people in. There’s probably no marketing value in an anniversary year for HHNH as opposed to Knott’s which has a cult following. HHN visitors typically are casual fans, or fans of horror films or the properties they are representing in the park. It’s part of the reason originals were so taboo in Hollywood for a long time, and a reason a lot of them aren’t very popular or have the shortest waits.

I’d love an anniversary year, but I doubt it would happen.

If we are beginning at 2006, and ran every year without interruption, the 20th anniversary would be in the year 2025. However, 2020 happened, so the 20th anniversary would be in 2026.

When discussing a Hollywood anniversary year, it's crucial to consider what Hollywood's approach has always been. The focus has consistently been on marketing the event based on the current year rather than highlighting the years it has been in operation - which is more straightforward for the general public. In contrast to Orlando, which promotes its years of operation and leverages a rich history for a nostalgic appeal to help boost the excitement, Orlando can pull off an anniversary year much easier than Hollywood. Maybe when 2026 comes around they could, but I also don't know how interested Hollywood would be in the anniversary year. Incorporating the pre-Murdy era into the equation further complicates matters for various reasons...

ALSO - I do not know what difference an anniversary year for Hollywood would make when they usually do bring back a lot of their biggest original characters and ideas - Hollywood Harry, La Llorona, Hoildayz in Hell, Pandora's Box, etc.
I think ush needs a couple more years now. It would have made sense maybe pre pandemic for a anniversary year, now that the event is very different I think it needs to create a bigger identity like knotts has before a anniversary would bring in revenue like they would want .

An anniversary year would be cool but I wish they would go Orlando's route. Use some IP's but make their own story
and characters. Also Do mostly original mazes to be honest. Hollywood harry deserves his own maze. I mean John Murdy should consider doing anniversary years since he loves HHN and loves to see his own creations.

Reactions: themeparkhaunter
An anniversary year would be cool but I wish they would go Orlando's route. Use some IP's but make their own story
and characters. Also Do mostly original mazes to be honest. Hollywood harry deserves his own maze. I mean John Murdy should consider doing anniversary years since he loves HHN and loves to see his own creations.
Having a slew of IPs is what separates Horror Nights from Knott's Scary Farm. You can reasonably argue about the quality of each event, but there's little doubt in my mind that Horror Nights has long ago passed Knott's by when it comes to selling tickets (y'all will, I'm sure, correct me if I'm mistaken). I just don't see a reason for Horror Nights in Hollywood to reverse course on what has become a core part of its identity.

And I say that as someone whose favorite houses each of the past two years have been originals. I think they're doing alright.

Having a slew of IPs is what separates Horror Nights from Knott's Scary Farm. You can reasonably argue about the quality of each event, but there's little doubt in my mind that Horror Nights has long ago passed Knott's by when it comes to selling tickets (y'all will, I'm sure, correct me if I'm mistaken). I just don't see a reason for Horror Nights in Hollywood to reverse course on what has become a core part of its identity.

And I say that as someone whose favorite houses each of the past two years have been originals. I think they're doing alright.
This

My friend's always want to go to USH because of the IP

What I've speculated, I oddly didn't even think on Netflix.

Fear Street's new film seemingly got completely reset for development; so even if that new film was to come out next year, I don't think it would land on time for HHN to give it relevancy. I also could've sworn FS has some Disney ties that need to get sorted out. Would I like to see the Netflix Trilogy--maybe, but I am not entirely sure as I give that answer.

Gonna share my agreeance alongside @chris.g that if we get another Netflix IP; it probably won't be until 2025 with the final season of Stranger Things likely hitting around then.
Disney inherited Fear Street when they bought Fox. They were produced, developed, everything to be the next big 20th Century horror franchise. Disney sold it to Netflix during COVID after Part 1 being slated for a June 2020 theatrical release by 20th Century/Disney. I’m not sure if they have production rights going forward.

Am I the only one who doesn’t get sentimental about theme park anniversaries?

No offense, but this would be a terrible move for USH. Originals have never been this event's strong suit -- unless there's some kinda historical/folkloric context that provides a starting point, like the Latin American Monsters stuff. When original houses are created from whole cloth, like Pandora's Box, they tend to be pretty weak (IMO, at least).

The concepts for original Hollywood houses would probably end up being a lot like the scare zones -- basically, just a noun with a "z" on the end. Toyz. Clownz. Ghostz. Goblinz. Killerz. Whateverz.

Last edited:
I actually get and agree with what you’re coming from but I still think it would be nice for HHN Hollywood to establish a culture or acknowledge the fan base that does by throwing them a bone every once in a while.
It would be cool to get a best of house (La Llorona, 2006 Asylum maybe scarezones like Welcome to Hell?) but I think an anniversary year would be overkill and would turn off the huge number of guests that come to see their favorite IP in real life.

Reactions: chris.g
I kinda like what Hollywood has been doing, turning some of the more elaborate scare zones into originals (I was excited for Holidayz and I'm excited for Exterminatorz). They could do something with Mask A Raid, All Hallows, Welcome to Hell, Corpz...

Maybe a compilation house at some point wouldn't be a bad idea.

I kinda like what Hollywood has been doing, turning some of the more elaborate scare zones into originals (I was excited for Holidayz and I'm excited for Exterminatorz). They could do something with Mask A Raid, All Hallows, Welcome to Hell, Corpz...

Maybe a compilation house at some point wouldn't be a bad idea.

I'd love to see a Hell's Harvest original house or All Hallow's Evil or even Hell-O-Ween..

Reactions: Freak
Would probably be M3gan with Night Swim instead of Imaginary (Lionsgate movie) but Night Swim presence could very well happen. Bonus points for the James Wan connection between those two movies.
Yeah, M3GAN and Night Swim are probably much more likely. M3GAN 2.0 will be a few months away from hitting theaters, so it makes sense to bring M3GAN back into the spotlight as a house. Also, Universal could throw in a teaser room for the new movie.
I would love to see that maze any change it actually happens?
I'd say it's likely. But, it wouldn't shock it me if didn't happen.

There's also a chance Night Swim just gets relegated to the Blumhouse: Behind the Screams experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.