Halloween Horror Nights 2024 (USH) - Speculation & Rumors | Page 7 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 2024 (USH) - Speculation & Rumors

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I love gore as much as the next horror fan, but even I thought some of the stuff in the 2nd film was gratuitous.

(and no, the violence in Terrifier makes Corpses look PG. They are not the same.)

I'm not going to write it off as never coming, but I would be completely shocked if it came - just because I don't know if other studios/IPs in the lineup would be willing to play ball with the controversy.

As @Jake S and @Allison says--it feels like one of those IP's that would just flat out be a non-starter when you think of the DEI teams, and what feels like red flags.

I do see where some are trying to justify it. But I know a lot of people, some of which I consider as friends; not wanting Art. And to be honest if Terrifier even comes to HHN, it will be the first house I outright just skip due to the connotations that the IP brings; and the issues that feel too glaring to have it present.
You have people who wouldn’t go to the event because of Art. Why would Universal license an IP that people want to avoid?

Reactions: Tobias and Allison
You have people who wouldn’t go to the event because of Art. Why would Universal license an IP that people want to avoid?
lol

If people are fine with waiting in 3 hour lines for multiple houses but draw the line at a movie....then bring it on

I dare Universal to do it and see if fans care......because I just think people would avoid the one house and still flock to the event. I don't even want it, I just want to see if Fans really care...if it's the internet being the internet.

lol

If people are fine with waiting in 3 hour lines for multiple houses but draw the line at a movie....then bring it on

I dare Universal to do it and see if fans care......because I just think people would avoid the one house and still flock to the event. I don't even want it, I just want to see if Fans really care...if it's the internet being the internet.
The whole "controversy" is just people looking too deep into a gore fest lmao.

Once again, it is people blowing things out of proportion for no good reason.

there's a pretty massive difference between "this thing I enjoy has long waits" and "this thing I enjoy is endorsing something I can't support."
People can endorse that the reason you are waiting 3 hours is so they can sell express?

If people are fine with that but not a film.......cool but one literally affects you and to me it's just funny that being treat like a second class citizen is A Ok but some film isn't.......Saw was at Universal did people have an issue with that?

I mean, i watch the Saw films and they are just...come on they are not art

The Saw and Terrifier franchises both predominantly feature gratuitous gore, sometimes just for the sick sake of it. The difference is Terrifier very specifically exploits gendered violence in a way that arguably stops being "fun" and starts to invite uncomfortable questions about the intent and perspective of the filmmakers. In even the most charitable of interpretations, it's got an edgelord sensibility that makes it unsuitable for a mainstream horror event like Universal, even if Art is a compelling character on his own.

To put it more bluntly, I could see some creative partners being uncomfortable sharing a marquee with Terrifier. No idea if that would prevent it from coming to the event! But I could see it being a concern.

The entire idea of a diversity and inclusion team being involved with a Halloween haunted house event is so hilarious to me :lmao:

I think inclusion in a world renowned theme park’s Halloween event and having a team that can help enforce that isn’t hilarious but instead a good thing we should all embrace. Getting stuck in their ways culturally could prove very detrimental in the long run, it’s important that they do this.

The entire idea of a diversity and inclusion team being involved with a Halloween haunted house event is so hilarious to me :lmao:
I think this is a good example of a larger problem in the broader horror community that Halloween Horror Nights is loosely connected to. the idea that horror should be offensive, or at the very least provocative largely fails to consider who should be offended or provoked. I don't think making hard and fast rules on these things is useful, but I do think it's worth considering that in the exceptionally white, male space that is horror — it has often been women and minorities who get the sharp end of the spear.

I mean... you're talking about a franchise that the creator himself stated that "he is certain that a big studio would never let him film the opening scene of the third film alone, which he describes as "very controversial".

If a big studio won't touch it, why in the world would you think a family-driven theme park associated with a big studio would? Wish list it all you want, but the logic seems flimsy at best. Gore ≠ controversy.

I think this is a good example of a larger problem in the broader horror community that Halloween Horror Nights is loosely connected to. the idea that horror should be offensive, or at the very least provocative largely fails to consider who should be offended or provoked. I don't think making hard and fast rules on these things is useful, but I do think it's worth considering that in the exceptionally white, male space that is horror — it has often been women and minorities who get the sharp end of the spear.

Horror is by its nature a provocative medium, but it's also worth asking who is doing the provoking and why.

Horror is by its nature a provocative medium, but it's also worth asking who is doing the provoking and why.
So the Saw Creator reasons out way the shocking scenes/gore?

All horror movies are trying to make money.....some like Hereditary can claim they are also art...but most like Halloween are just well shot films that capitalize on current treads

It's an interesting discussion but to me, it's not the reason why...if you do something then it's done you can explain all you want but.......to me Saw its at the same level and I'm a saw fan....don't really care what the team wants they make movies where you have to cut your self to set yourself free and its gory. If that is allowed....they can find a way for many horror films

Look at The Grabber/Black Phone, your capitalizing off child being kidnapped or exorcist believer was about child going missing, could people who have real life expediences of being kidnapped or having a child go missing demand these movies not be made/houses not be at the park?

(also im very pro free speech and no topic should be off limits, just so people know where I come from)

Last edited:
I don't think that's what @AlexanderMBush is saying, though. I think (and correct me if I'm wrong!) they're saying that because of its Whole Deal (a, uh, weird fixation on violence against women) it could create unneeded controversy around the event. And all that for a movie that I just don't think is anywhere near as popular as it's made out to be on this forum.

I'm not sure there's a great way to quantify violence, but I believe the issue is more the type of violence and who the violence is perpetrated against.

Personally, I think the movies are bad and I agree that they have major Eli Roth vibes (not a compliment!). I'd be surprised to see it show up at Horror Nights, but I have no inside information. We'll see!
Here’s my discrepancy with the Terrifier comment - Art kills BOTH Men and Women! Lol In fact, Art believes in EQUALITY. We cannot pick and choose what is a good kill scene for men and women. Whoever doesn’t like it, ask for women to not be involved in horror films anymore lol
This franchise doesn’t invoke violence on women in real life. People of both genders get slaughtered in horror films all the time and the sequel featured a heroine character that chopped Art’s head off!

Last edited:
Here’s my discrepancy with the Terrifier comment - Art kills BOTH Men and Women! Lol In fact, Art believes in EQUALITY. We cannot pick and choose what is a good kill scene for men and women. Whoever doesn’t like it, ask for women to not be involved in horror films anymore lol
This franchise doesn’t invoke violence on women in real life. People of both genders get slaughtered in horror films all the time and the sequel featured a heroine character that chopped Art’s head off!

As a woman who’s seen every installment of the Terrifier franchise (including All Hallows Eve) there is a very, very big difference in the way Art kills women vs. the way he kills men.

Generally speaking I think maybe a question we should all ask ourselves is: do you think a naked woman strung upside down then being sawed in half crotch first is something you would see in a family theme park destination Halloween event?? I genuinely think the answer would be no.

so we just going to leave all of the most iconic kills Art has done being caused onto women then or are you just trying to make a vague "he does both" statement.

Seriously? You can't think of one bit of violence in the first Terrifier that may be in poor taste and far beyond what's typical of slasher kills involving women?

No one's saying Terrifier can't exist. We're suggesting that its profane edges make it unsuitable for Horror Nights (and arguably a mass audience), which some of you seem to having a difficult time wrapping your heads around.

I think Terrifier is absolute garbage, but...

As insanely over the top I think Terrifier is, in no way do I think the violence would be a reason it wouldn't be included as an attraction.

Do I think the creator is quite possibly a deranged individual making these movies for other deranged individuals to get off on? 100%. Do I think the movies are way gorier and more violent in an extremist way than anything represented at Horror Nights? 100%.

However, we have seen some sick and insane crap at Horror Nights. I don't think the images from that film are way off the mark from what we have seen from IPs, original mazes, scarezones, or even the Terror Tram. The difference is in the movies, they edit out how gruesome it gets, but at Horror Nights that's not an option. So something very mild in a movie can be disgusting in person. I think the Terrifer movies are kinda like walking through an HHN attraction in real time, without editing away -- except it's way more crass in it's approach and nowhere near as fun.

So do I think it's "too controversial?" No. Do I think the movies simply suck and don't deserve to share the space? Yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.