Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Halloween Horror Nights 31 (UOR) - Speculation & Rumors

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean animal abuse is scary… but no actors could ever recreate the magic that is those weirdos.
Think of it, we were just a few years away from "Bill and Ted VS the Tiger King". You know for a fact they would've casted someone as Joe Exotic, (or maybe Bo Yexotic or something to get around parody law). Maybe it was for the best Bill and Ted died when it did lol.

I'm interested to see how FFL being demoed changes the crowd distribution back there

When shows let out it is a mad house, even with some better organization last year

Think of it, we were just a few years away from "Bill and Ted VS the Tiger King". You know for a fact they would've casted someone as Joe Exotic, (or maybe Bo Yexotic or something to get around parody law). Maybe it was for the best Bill and Ted died when it did lol.
Once sextail wasn’t able to be a joke it died lol

I'm interested to see how FFL being demoed changes the crowd distribution back there

When shows let out it is a mad house, even with some better organization last year
It’ll stop swarms of people entering and leaving but I don’t see distribution being crazy different. Unless nothing is added in its place, which might cause more guests out in the streets.

Way off-topic here but you generally don't need a fake name to parody a public figure (and by a hypothetical 2020 B&T, convicted felon Joe Exotic would have been a "public figure" from a legal perspective). You only need to change details for a fictional character, because fictional characters are intellectual property still owned by their creator. That's why after the infamous 2006 show--which featured a more movie-accurate Jack Sparrow than MK and resulted in the "no camera" policy when Disney tried to shut the whole thing down for that--future shows shifted to making fun of real people, like politicians, and referred often to actors, not characters (e.g. "It's Tom Cruise," not "it's Ethan Hunt").

That's today's Legal Minute ... now back to speculation about an event still 11 months out.

Way off-topic here but you generally don't need a fake name to parody a public figure (and by a hypothetical 2020 B&T, convicted felon Joe Exotic would have been a "public figure" from a legal perspective). You only need to change details for a fictional character, because fictional characters are intellectual property still owned by their creator. That's why after the infamous 2006 show--which featured a more movie-accurate Jack Sparrow than MK and resulted in the "no camera" policy when Disney tried to shut the whole thing down for that--future shows shifted to making fun of real people, like politicians, and referred often to actors, not characters (e.g. "It's Tom Cruise," not "it's Ethan Hunt").

That's today's Legal Minute ... now back to speculation about an event still 11 months out.

Or Hack Sparrow who deals with pirating movies.

Because there are bigger IPs out there. Even when they first got Stranger Things, if they had gotten IT the same year, Stranger Things wouldn’t have gotten top billing. It would have been second.
I mean IT was huge but I would argue that there's not been anything as big as IT since then. I really can't think of any IP that's been nearly as big as those 2 in recent years.

The Horrors of Finn Wolfhard, featuring:

Stranger Things
Ghostbusters: Afterlife
It
The Addams Family (only the first)
The Turning (owned by Universal and one of the most hated films by audiences in the past few years!)

Don’t forget this video.

In all seriousness though, all of this talk about bottlenecking and whatnot really has me wondering if they’re going to actually address/make those changes. I feel like we’ve been complaining about the San Fran zone clogging up since like 26 and nothing ever changes. Personally I think just moving it elsewhere would be incredible but i’m not really adding much to the convo at that point.

Last edited:
I mean IT was huge but I would argue that there's not been anything as big as IT since then. I really can't think of any IP that's been nearly as big as those 2 in recent years.
Scream, Elm Street, IT, and Conjuring would all get top billing over Stranger Things. New Halloween trilogy potentially would as well. Fear Street, Child’s Play, or Gremlins could get top billing depending on how Marketing wants to structure the campaign. If Universal can’t get something like that, then they may just run with Stranger Things. For the third time.

TWD was at HHN four or five times (too bored to confirm). By season four, it was just another house at the event. If HHN relies on the same IP for top billing too often, then the event becomes too rote from a marketing perspective. There has to be a rotation.

Chiming in to look about.

I still think HHN31 has a legitimate chance to be more Universal centric on IP's. Dated natures have never been truly an issue, and you'd have the ability to use possibly three IP's as it stands, if you keep Chucky, Monsters, and then bring back Jordan Peele with Nope.

That is assuming Nope, is like Us, in having traditionalistic horror elements or themes. Would allow for two to possibly three IP's, assuming the ratio is 5/5 or 6/5 (IP/Original). I also wouldn't be surprised if Us was a success for HHN, that executives would also push for cross promotional with a film not that far off from HHN's trajectory.

Chucky has continued to seemingly be a massive smash hit for the networks, so I'd imagine executives would want it in. I could even see Mancini spearheading this notion, getting in with Murdy and the head of A&D. Perhaps even working on this as early as before HHN2021, not far off from This Is The End's development.

Just wanted to chime in, give some small thoughts to get past those dumb Tiger King jokes. *woosh*

Last edited:
So Stranger Things returns.

Not super surprising. Let's hope it's another 2018-level house and not all over the place like 2019 was.

I wonder if Scream has a chance this year? I never fully understood the problem it had that made Purge replace it in 25 though so maybe not.

I wonder if Scream has a chance this year? I never fully understood the problem it had that made Purge replace it in 25 though so maybe not.
Universal and Dimension had an agreement to do Scream. Rumor is the agreement was always for the TV show/reboot, but A&D basically said “We bought the rights to ‘Scream.’ We want to do the movie.” So, they designed the house to the movie thinking that Universal had carte blanch with the rights and Dimension wouldn’t care since they were still getting paid. Dimension called their bluff, since Universal violated the agreement, and pulled the rights.

Scream was in an odd licensing rights place that Universal had never worked with before. If the rumor is true, it was them testing the limits of what they could and couldn’t do with an agreement, and they got burned.

That said, assuming any personal feelings have been worked through between the two companies, I think it’s been long enough that a relationship with Dimension could be rebuilt—especially because Universal has gotten much better at specifying what is and isn’t included in an agreement.

EDIT - And no one has said Stranger Things is returning. But I also can’t say it’s NOT coming.

Last edited:
I don't understand how Stranger Things wouldn't be the top billing house next year, it's a merch/ticket seller.*

*Unless the new season bombs, which Universal has time to judge properly since the season releases in the Spring.

I could see a "best of" mashup for Stranger Things, Conjuring or Halloween next year, maybe even Scream.

Curse of Chucky, Cult of Chucky, and S1 of Chucky has so much potential for a house it's not even a joke.

I'd even ask, could they actually pull a Cryptkeeper/Jigsaw (points if you get what I mean), and have Chucky as the icon for Orlando, Hollywood, and Singapore. This feels like a perfect storm of potential; and it sells *a lot* financially. Plus it's not only a household name for Universal; but a character that feels like it could be incredibly well integrated within HHN.

Universal and Dimension had an agreement to do Scream. Rumor is the agreement was always for the TV show/reboot, but A&D basically said “We bought the rights to ‘Scream.’ We want to do the movie.” So, they designed the house to the movie thinking that Universal had carte blanch with the rights and Dimension wouldn’t care since they were still getting paid. Dimension called their bluff, since Universal violated the agreement, and pulled the rights.

Scream was in an odd licensing rights place that Universal had never worked with before. If the rumor is true, it was them testing the limits of what they could and couldn’t do with an agreement, and they got burned.

That said, assuming any personal feelings have been worked through between the two companies, I think it’s been long enough that a relationship with Dimension could be rebuilt—especially because Universal has gotten much better at specifying what is and isn’t included in an agreement.

Unless I’m remembering it wrong; it was the Weinsteins who a pain in the rear on Uni’s end. I think John Murdy also had a problem with them in 2011. It’s been years and I didn’t keep track with the news; but isn’t Dimension still in hot water because of them? Even without that; given an experience like that I don’t think Uni would want to work with them* again.

EDIT: Dimension I mean

Curse of Chucky, Cult of Chucky, and S1 of Chucky has so much potential for a house it's not even a joke.

I'd even ask, could they actually pull a Cryptkeeper/Jigsaw (points if you get what I mean), and have Chucky as the icon for Orlando, Hollywood, and Singapore. This feels like a perfect storm of potential; and it sells *a lot* financially. Plus it's not only a household name for Universal; but a character that feels like it could be incredibly well integrated within HHN.
:ninja:

Status
Not open for further replies.